Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Even though we have an emergency net/ladder for the emergency exit window on our motorhome, DW and I really do not believe that late at night, in toxic smoke filled air and total darkness we would be able to get out that dinky little window and safely exit to ground. Obviously we would try, but reality is reality. We do have several fire/LP/CO detectors added in strategic locations, including inside the external refrigerator and water heater compartments, as well as, the generator bay and near the engine. We also have a large fire extinguisher in the bedroom that, maybe, could clear a path long enough for us to exit the front. We have also added other extinguishers in strategic locations inside and in a couple of basement compartments. We have done all we can think of, including regular agitation, replacement, and checking of extinguishers. Hopefully we will not have to find out if we have done enough.
Smart man. I was a volunteer fireman and know what it is like to go through a smoke filled home. Having 2 or more smoke alarms is needed to ensure you get an early warning. With only 1 if it doesn't work you are dead. Having a good extinguisher next to the bed is good insurance if only to clear a path to get out.

I hope this thread helps others realize how important it is to have the alarms, extinguisher and a plan. It might save a life someday.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
... So, working smoke alarm(s) and an escape plan is you best option. I know I would have trouble getting out of my 5er bedroom window! I have an FE in our bedroom and two working smoke detectors. Oh, and practice your escape plan at night with no lights on and sounding the detector. They make canned fake smoke to test your detector. I hope this helps.
Great advice to practice, especially if you have a pet. Humans first, of course - but the only thing worse than standing outside watching your home/RV burn ... would be standing there knowing your pet is still inside.

Re the plan ... Assign who grabs what. He grabs the fire extinguisher, she grabs the pet - or vice versa. If you have more than one pet, assign which pet to which person.

You know how unnerving it is for that blatty alarm to go off when you burn the bacon! How much more so in the dark with smoke and a REAL fire! Practice WITH your pet. Make sure you can grab them and still have time to exit. You won't have time to struggle with a panicked animal.

If you have a cat, keep a towel or bathrobe - anything - nearby and scoop them up in that, then grab them and run. If you have a cat scratching your face trying to get loose it will slow you down.

If you have a smaller dog, just grab them and run. Bigger dogs, keep a collar on them, and make sure, with the alarm sounding in the darkness and the (fake) smoke, that when you grab that collar and yell "COME!" they will come. You won't know til you try it. If not - train them.

My Bentley weighs a good 80 pounds or so. If he sets his brakes, it would be tough dragging him, even with all that adrenalin in my system - and I really doubt if I could leave him and run. He IS my child, my whole family, and I would still be there trying to drag him out when the thing went down on top of us.

Chief02 - maybe you can make some suggestions regarding pets. I used to train dogs, but don't really know about fires.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Ramblin,
If you look at the OEM provided tiny winy good for nothing FE that came with your rig it is most likely a 1.5 lb rated BC only. Meaning B= flammable Liquids fires and C= energized Electrical fires rated only. What you want as a minimum is two 5lb ABC rated dry chemical FE. A= wood, paper, rubber, plastic plus you still have the BC rating. These small FE's are good for small incipeint (just starting) fires. If you have a fire blocking your exit the small FE's may not have enough knokdown power to let you get past. So, working smoke alarm(s) and an escape plan is you best option. I know I would have trouble getting out of my 5er bedroom window! I have and FE in our bedroom and two working smoke detectors. Oh, and practice your escape plan at night with no lights on and sounding the detector. They make canned fake smoke to test your detector. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice about the ABC type extinguisher. My local Lowes store has THIS ONE for about $40. Rechargable ABC. I plan to buy three; one for the bedroom closet, one by the entry door, and one in an outside bay.

Didn't know about the fake smoke. I usually light a small piece of newspaper on fire, then blow it out and hold it near the detector as it smolders and smokes. Does the fake smoke smell like smoke?

And a personal word of thanks to you, chief02, for being a resource to the RV community in your retirement. After having seen that video of an RV burning to the ground in about a minute, I have really put some more thought into our safety, and having a retired fire chief at my disposal to answer questions is invaluable.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #18

CO = Carbon Monoxide : Deadly

CO2 = Carbon Dioxide : What we exhale
Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
I'm gonna put an extra extinguisher in the bedroom. I already have an extra one in the tow vehicle so that should cover it.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FWIW a couple of extra pennies of information.
I found in talking to various people that there is confusion as to which fire extingusher does what. A simple way to remember the ABC's of fire extingushers and their associated Class of fire.
A Class, if you think of "A" as Ash in otherwords anything that produces Ash is a "A Class Fire, Paper, wood etc.
B Class, if you think of "B" as Benzeine, another name for gas or a type of gas. So any thing Gas or Oil related is a "B Class" Fire. Gas, Oil (Motor and Cooking), Lubricants (Grease), Plastics etc.
C Class, if you think of "C" as Current, in this case Electrical Current. A fire in your fuse panel is a "C Class" Fire, but only while Current is applied. Once the Current or Flow of Electricy has stopped the fire becomes a A or B Class fire. Stoping the Current is shutting off the power, pulling the Shore Cable or Shutting off the Generator.
As others have clearly indicated, for RVer's there should be a minimum of two 5lb ABC extingushers onboard 2 in the house and maybe a third in a unlocked, when parked, compartment outside. The little can by the door over time would be hard pressed to blow out birthday candles.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #21

Another essential lifesaving tool is a fire/smoke escape hood.

We have them placed next to the fire extinguishers where they can be quickly deployed and have several for our large dogs as well.

We have practiced our escape plan numerous times with the dogs and it builds confidence.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAU MAU View Post
Another essential lifesaving tool is a fire/smoke escape hood.

We have them placed next to the fire extinguishers where they can be quickly deployed and have several for our large dogs as well.

We have practiced our escape plan numerous times with the dogs and it builds confidence.
Wow! That is great! I had not heard of those hoods - do you know where we can get them?

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
In my fire service career many pets in home fires run and hide with fear. Knowing where your pet may hide could help firefighters find them. Many FD's now have medical rescue equipment to help revivie pets. But NEVER delay your escape for the beloved pets, as hard as that will be. Also, practice crawling out of your RV, Those norrow 5er steps make thing challanging. Know ahead of time what method works best for you and PRACTICE.
The NFPA website is loaded with information also.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #24

In my career in the navy, like Chief explanied, Prepare and Practice, Practice, practice. It was our life at sea to practice fire fighting we had no where to go except into the sea, but fight the fire or get out of the space (room) alive. So it was drilled into us from the first day. We used Chemical smoke to practice getting low and out of the space(room). Of course a Fifth wheel or moble home will not be as big (or have a lot of sharp angles to worry about) as a ship has. Panic is the worst thing that can happen, you forget everything. I've been in a collision and fire at sea i know what happens first hand. We practiced with blindfolds to get out of space by feel and memory so it saved lives. So practice and prepair. Sorry i've rambled enough.
enjoy, and save travels.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #25

So my old motorhome didn't have fire exits (as far as I know) but the one we just bought does. When you say practice, do you mean actually pop out the window? Also, I noticed that its quite a drop. Now if there was an actual fire of course I would take a broken ankle over burning to death, but for practice?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread scared the %^@# out of me. I'm paranoid about fire as I lost my uncle and grandmother in a house fire years ago.
I have often wondered how we would get out of the narrow "escape" window by our bed if the worst happened. Came to the conclusion that survival was not likely.
So I went to Menard's yesterday and bought a fire extinguisher (4 lb) which I will mount by our bed. Hopefully it will be enough to blast a path through.
Whoever came up with the idea of mounting a fire extinguisher by the door never spent a night in an RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff
This thread scared the %^@# out of me. I'm paranoid about fire as I lost my uncle and grandmother in a house fire years ago.
I have often wondered how we would get out of the narrow "escape" window by our bed if the worst happened. Came to the conclusion that survival was not likely.
So I went to Menard's yesterday and bought a fire extinguisher (4 lb) which I will mount by our bed. Hopefully it will be enough to blast a path through.
Whoever came up with the idea of mounting a fire extinguisher by the door never spent a night in an RV.
Here's a thread I started that may be of use to you. Fire Escape Hint

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is why I am such a nut about prevention. I feel if I could prevent a fire all the better. I sent to many years on boats where there is not to many places to go.