Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

Fire, how fast can you get out?

I just installed 2 more smoke detectors in my 5th wheel because it only had 1 and that made me uncomfortable. After seeing this video I'm glad I did. For those who have mobility problems you really need to have a few smoke detectors and a plan to insure you have time to get out in case of fire. In less than 1 minute this 5th wheel burned to the ground. The couple had 2 cats that died in the fire. this can happen to any RV.

RV Fire in parking lot of Cabelas in Mitchell, SD 5-22-2012 - YouTube

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

We have owned Truck Campers, A class C Motor Home, & presently a 5th wheel. Every type of RV had a fire extinguisher mounted by the exit door, didn't make sense to me. If we can reach that extinguisher we are out, & safe, let it burn. First thing we always do is mount another extinguisher next to the bed, because the 5th wheel is so much bigger that the others, I also put one in near the kitchen.
JOHN

Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #3

Excellent point. All that wind made it 10 times worse, amazing how fast it went up with the wind fueling it. Just about everything in a MH or TT is already extremely flammable wind like that just makes in impossible to get out in time to salvage anything.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #4

That would make for a bad day camping.... I thought flat tries were bad.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
don't forget about the Co2 detectors too. mine had 1 mounted on the bedroom ceiling. by the time that goes off, we'll be dead. Co2 detectors need to be mounted close to the floor. i now have one in the LR area and another in the BR area.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #6

Where to Mount a Carbon Monoxide Detector?
So you just bought a carbon monoxide detector to put in your home. You feel a sense of security wrap around your body as your plug it into the electrical socket near the ground. Stop right there though. You just made a crucial mistake that many other people make when choosing the location to mount their carbon monoxide detector.
It is known that some companies recommend mounting their units near the floor, but in general it is a potential risk due to the chemical properties of carbon monoxide. The key point that we want to focus on is the specific gravity of CO which is 0.966. Compared to the air we breathe (1.0), carbon monoxide is slightly lighter which means it will rise. Having a carbon monoxide detector mounted near the ground means there is the possibility that it may not detect CO when it is present in your home. Consequently, you will want to mount carbon monoxide detectors on the ceiling the same way you would mount a smoke alarm.
Additionally, here are some other guidelines you should follow when choosing a mounting location. You will want to keep CO detectors out of bathrooms or any other humid areas. You will also want to place them at least 15 feet away from heating or cooking appliances. Placing a CO dectector near a furnace may also set off false alarms since these devices are known to emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up.
Sources
"The Answer Man". Belleville News-Democrat. 12 Feb 2007, Final Ed.: C8
Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #7

How sad... we will definately be checking the CO2's, smoke detectors & the fire extinguishers this saturday.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
+1 CO detector near ceiling, LPG detector near floor.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Right on, it's the LP detector that needs to be at floor level. LPG is heavier than air.
Smoke and CO detectors at ceiling.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
And Speaking of Fire Extinguishers....

More fire info here
Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Lucky to be alive!fire from fridge

And another fire safety thread
Old 06-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
chief02: How about a word about the proper type of extinguisher for use in an RV? I know there are several kinds of extinguishers. Is there a particular type that RVers should buy?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Even though we have an emergency net/ladder for the emergency exit window on our motorhome, DW and I really do not believe that late at night, in toxic smoke filled air and total darkness we would be able to get out that dinky little window and safely exit to ground. Obviously we would try, but reality is reality. We do have several fire/LP/CO detectors added in strategic locations, including inside the external refrigerator and water heater compartments, as well as, the generator bay and near the engine. We also have a large fire extinguisher in the bedroom that, maybe, could clear a path long enough for us to exit the front. We have also added other extinguishers in strategic locations inside and in a couple of basement compartments. We have done all we can think of, including regular agitation, replacement, and checking of extinguishers. Hopefully we will not have to find out if we have done enough.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Ramblin,
If you look at the OEM provided tiny winy good for nothing FE that came with your rig it is most likely a 1.5 lb rated BC only. Meaning B= flammable Liquids fires and C= energized Electrical fires rated only. What you want as a minimum is two 5lb ABC rated dry chemical FE. A= wood, paper, rubber, plastic plus you still have the BC rating. These small FE's are good for small incipeint (just starting) fires. If you have a fire blocking your exit the small FE's may not have enough knokdown power to let you get past. So, working smoke alarm(s) and an escape plan is you best option. I know I would have trouble getting out of my 5er bedroom window! I have and FE in our bedroom and two working smoke detectors. Oh, and practice your escape plan at night with no lights on and sounding the detector. They make canned fake smoke to test your detector. I hope this helps.