Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

Fire suppression

Just (had) installed an automatic AFFF Foam fire suppression system in the engine compartment and one in the generator compartment. Also got two 2 liter manual AFFF extinguishers for front and bedroom to replace the little dry extinguisher at the door. Just didn't feel the stock extinguisher would really do a lot. DW and myself felt the piece of mind was worth the expense which turned out a little less then I first anticipated.
Got the systems from Fire Fight Products in Orlando and installed at Eagles Pride at TGO.
I think were done doing things for the coach, at least for a little while.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #2

Keep in mind AFFF will freeze, as it is water-based. Storage in freezing weather requires some thought. You will find such a warning on the label. Mine comes inside the house during winter storage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Keep in mind AFFF will freeze, as it is water-based. Storage in freezing weather requires some thought. You will find such a warning on the label. Mine comes inside the house during winter storage.

Is there any system out there that is not water based? Are there a number of different systems out there?

It would seem like a system should reduce insurance costs.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #4

There are a few that do not freeze. Purple K is dry powder. Halon is a gas. Carbon Dioxide/ CO2, is a gas, and like Halon is best used in a confined space. A drawback is, they are the heaviest of extinguishers. Another drawback is, if the source of ignition and fuel is still present a re-ignition can occur after it dissipates. The short of it is, if it contains water it will freeze.
That may not be current, as I have been out of the fire service for 35 years.
This is another that will freeze Cold Fire. Mac the Fire Guy sells an extinguisher that works just as well IMO, and I highly recommend him for advice, education, and products.
Of course the key to using any extinguisher is education.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

Thanks Ray. With the occasional RV fire, it is doubly important that we are prepared and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of RVers are not prepared.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
I would think the refrigerator area would be more important than those area's. I have seen so many refer fires! But you probably have a residential.

lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote