Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
First Aid Kit, what's in yours?

Hello friends, need to put together an emergency first aid kit and was wondering what all we should have. Besides band aids, can you tell me what else you recommend please ? Thanks, Dave and Kathy

David T
Triatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Besides the band aids we carry very minimal medical supplies:
- mosquito anti-itch
- Pepto Bismol
- acetaminophen, aspirin
- Listerine mouthwash, (antiseptic - better than wasting good Vodka).
- Medical Insurance Card and charged cell-phone

BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Just go out and buy a first aid kit and your favorite drink, that should get you by. Works for me. (Seriously)
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
I keep a roll of Duct Tape near the kit ... really ... once or twice I've done a really stupid thing and needed to tape my "booboo" RIGHT NOW. Super glue is nice to have also.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Benedryl (can save your life in case of unexpected severe allergic reactions) aspirin (can save your life in a heart attack or stroke)and immodium (you'll think it can save your life). Blood stop, bandages for compression and a little chart of pressure points in case of severe bleeding.

Anything else is optional.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
A few "tools" usually come in handy,

- a good pair of tweezers
- a pair of "medical" scissors

As well as some "wrap" type dressing...

- gauze pads
- ACE wrap
- medical tape

and some antibiotic dressing ... i.e., Neosporin type stuff.
2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Eye drops, and hydrogen peroxide added to other suggestions.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:59 AM   #8
Thanks everyone for all the things to have along for first aid and medical emergencies. I will make a list and go shopping before we start our summer travels.
David T
Old 04-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
The DW was on a CERT team before she retired, so our 1st aid kit is somewhat complete. Among the 'normal' items that one would find in a well stocked 1st aid kit we also have are a burn blanket, blood clotting agent and we also have an AED that travels with us.
What one has in their 1st aid kit, should reflect with their level of 1st aid training is. Being that we 'boon dock' a lot of the time, and do so with a number to people, we tend to train a little more then some.
2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
As a retired Firefighter I bring the old Jump Kit with me. It has all the above plus some SAM splints, Cervical collars, Bp cuff, stethoscope, SPO2 meter. Pocket mask, ambu bag. Plus more. Just a quick side in the AED. I believe they should be everywhere but be careful by law in some states a script must be issued for it and it must be inspected and certified quarterly. Not just for municipalities but for everyone that has it. Not all states have Good Samaritan laws to protect you and those that do won't cover you if your equipment doesn't meet their standards of if it fails. I used to carry one until it expired and needed to be re-certified and that was cost prohibited.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #11
Also an important piece is a medication list and medical history for each person in your party. This can be a life saver
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Thanks again for everyone's ideas here. There are so many things to prepare before traveling. I hope this post has helped others review what they have and don't have. That's what is so great about this forum! Dave
David T
Old 04-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #13

Best natural antibiotic.

Visit a Boston Market eatery as they have real honey in the packets.

Kfc has honey sauce...

Works on cuts and real good on light burns.

And makes snak taste better if need be...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #14
We carry a couple of basic first aid kits. And my wife is a great one to have around in Medical Emergencies. She worked on a Aid unit, and was a Captain of a full time fire station.Now is a RN with a lot of Emergency training and experience. You and your spouse could take a First Aid and CPR course. I have taken several first aid and CPR courses in the military. But CPR has changed since I have taken it. So I do need a refresher course, I will look into it today. Cause I would hate for my wife to need assistance on the road and I couldn't do anything about it. I believe that the local hospital and or Fire Department would know where these courses are available.

DCDan is offline   Reply With Quote