Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
Dick,
That was some pretty impressive repair work. Did the Insurance pay for the parts only? Looked like it was done in someones front yard.

The paint and finish work sure looked good when done.

dj
The insurance paid for everything but the detectable but the guy who bid the job didn't order the parts and held my down payment until I got a lawyer to send threats. So I bought the parts and did it myself. It only cost me a fingernail to do the labor. The paint job was done at a local RV repair shop and I had enough money left for the labor to get my awnings replaced at the same time. So in a way we made Lemonade ;-)

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #30

I would think the Ins co will treat it as 2 separate incidents/2 separate deductibles--thats the rules.
Don't feel too bad--been towing since '78 and nothing but some limb scrapes. This June, 2nd day out heading to AK, pivoted too sharp in a station and whacked the pump guard post with my left rear corner--about $5k with $1k deductible. If I hadn't had the ladder substantially mounted to angle iron behind the cap, the entire cap would have gone and ended the trip.
Stuff happens, can't let your attention drift, especially in turns and lane changes...
Joe

'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, as I suspected, they totaled the RV. They've actually offered about $250 less than we paid for it and the tag. I'm sad. We did get a 3000 mile trip out of it. Now to shop all over again. Sigh!

Melody & Mike, Jake the hearing dog
Cats: Silver, Cleo, Lily, Almond, & the late Zima
2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Textronics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Buy it back at the auction and go have it repaired for most likely a lot less than what the insurance company is paying you to walk away.

Should give you enough left over to make another 3000 mile trip.

I know a guy that bought an older American Dream coach at an auction for $800 with plans to use the Cummins engine and Allison transmission which are valued at over $20,000 for another purpose. Plus the generator is worth another $5000 and all three items were in perfect running condition.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Good idea DR !

but NOW is the time to go practice in the coach before they take it

Go to a shopping mall and practice lining up with the lines and turns way out in the empty area to see how you do...

some cheap traffic cones might help...
make left turns and right turns and back up...

the most important rule is to take your time and make your turns to the OUTSIDE of the turn as your backend will track inside the front...

with practice you will be able to judge how wide to go and how tall your coach is... and maybe even learn to read the clearance signs (it took a whack of a low limb to teach me to watch !)

When I took my rv license test, the tester actually dinged me for not staying in the lanes...
I screamed at him - you doofus you took me down a 2 lane with tress at about 9 feet !!!! of course I'm moving over !
Old 09-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Buy it back at the auction and go have it repaired for most likely a lot less than what the insurance company is paying you to walk away.

Should give you enough left over to make another 3000 mile trip.

I know a guy that bought an older American Dream coach at an auction for $800 with plans to use the Cummins engine and Allison transmission which are valued at over $20,000 for another purpose. Plus the generator is worth another $5000 and all three items were in perfect running condition.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Actually, if they were the owners they could just buy it back from insurance company, no auction. Owners have the right to buy back their totaled vehicle before it goes to auction. First dibs I guess, most don't though...
Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #35

Uhhh, hate to have you worry but don't bad things happen in three's?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:50 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry about your ill fated trip. I just got back from one and I'm still leery about getting back in the MH. After our last disaster of a trip (we had a giant stone fly up and crack the windshield) had the darn thing replaced. As DH was backing into our storage space he ran aground and ripped the rear bumper! Honest to goodness. I think the MH needs a serious aura cleansing!
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had 3

2 wrecks & my mother dying counts as 3. They offered it to us at $5500. If we can essentially replace it for what they're offering, we will. With 2 wrecks, we can't repair it for less than they'll pay. There's too much damage. Either one would have totaled it.

Taking it out and figuring how to make turns is a really good idea. I hope we've learned through our mistakes.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't let it dominate your thoughts or it will make your uneasiness worse.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #39

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
If you decide to take a driving course contact RVSchool.com and set up a course.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had two windshield claims with a $500 glass deductible. With that knowledge and knowing of an upcoming, third, claim, Progressive had no problem upgrading my policy for zero glass deductible for only a moderate premium increase. Shocked the heck out of me.

That being said, I think twice before turning in a claim for a $600 repair on my $500 deductible auto policy.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, the insurance called yesterday evening and are delaying the settlement until it is reworked as a California claim since that's where I had my wreck. The adjuster said it's likely we'll get more money. So, we wait and see. We don't need an upgrade. We just want to have a comparable RV that we can go places and do things in. We have decided that with a large dog (an 85# Labradoodle) that a living area slide is pretty close to a necessity. Shopping this time of year isn't nearly as easy as June was, but I'm sure we'll find something we like.m

Old 09-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
Re: First big trip, first big accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textronics View Post
Well, the insurance called yesterday evening and are delaying the settlement until it is reworked as a California claim since that's where I had my wreck. The adjuster said it's likely we'll get more money. So, we wait and see. We don't need an upgrade. We just want to have a comparable RV that we can go places and do things in. We have decided that with a large dog (an 85# Labradoodle) that a living area slide is pretty close to a necessity. Shopping this time of year isn't nearly as easy as June was, but I'm sure we'll find something we like.m

Prices usually get a little better as winter approaches... At least with what we were looking at. Bought 2 coaches in 7 months, one the last week November & one the first week of June.