Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First campground with cable hookup

We're going to a campground with a cable hookup for the first time next weekend.

I assume I have to bring my own cable? How long of one should I bring?
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Cable hookups are typically on same post as power. So however long your power cord plus some extra to reach your cable connection. I have a 25' cable but keep another 25' just in case.

Steve
Old 10-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Cable hookups are typically on same post as power. So however long your power cord plus some extra to reach your cable connection. I have a 25' cable but keep another 25' just in case.

Steve
Same here. We had one cord, then somewhere along the way bought another, just in case.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just carry a 100' one since it can also be used to hook up a ground mount sat dish, although I've never had to use it that way.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:14 AM   #5

Don't forget to turn off the antenna amplifier.
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #6

I have a 100' that I cut into a 30' and 70'. Installed connectors on each raw end and added a coupler. Now I can do 30, 70 or 100' as needed. Yes, I have needed the long length at times.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshearer View Post
Don't forget to turn off the antenna amplifier.
X1000! Put this item on your checklist in big letters (you do have a checklist,right?), because you will spend hours if not days trying to figure out why you have no clear signal. Do not ask DH how we know this...
Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Patti,

I'm working on one but would appreciate all the help I can get. If anyone knows of a good sample for a class a gasser I'm all ears.

Thanks,
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
We are at a CG is S Georgia now that wants me to give them a 40 dollar deposit in order to get cable through a box they supply. I have no intention of doing that, but I cannot figure where one would put the box. Is this old way of RV park technology? Satellite works fine for us, but for the sake of information gathering, how would this be wired in? I sure as heck would not be going into the black box with all the buttons on it build into the coach system.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Charter Cable in Auburn AL came to the park where we stay for football. Since changing over to digital Charter requires a box for you to get cable. Owner of the park has to pay rental on those boxes so he charges campers for it. Needless to say we don't use cable there. It isn't old tech its new tech. Half the time it won't work and people raise cain.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are currently at Lake Elsinore Marina and RV resort in SoCal. To get the cable to work you need to get a box from the office - $60 deposit refunded upon return of the box. I don't have much of a problem with the deposit, but would have been good if they would have told me before I messed around for a half hour orote trying different of my cables, connecting to an adjacent space, scanning and rescaling channels, etc.

The box connects to the cable that comes into the TV, output is either HDMI or f connector cable. Easy access to connect for my setup. May not be easy for your setup.

Overall, seems a pain... For both the customer and the CG...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #12

Don't forget that if you have a BOMB you also have to pick the cable source instead of Antenna and you have to pick the correct source on each TV when you channel scan. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
THanks Mel and you other guys. Sounds like the old way but I guess it is not. We have stayed at parks where you could scan and get thirty or forty channels. I am not sure what a BOMB is but you sound like it might be the black multi-button I mentioned. That would be a pain to get to the back of since it is pretty much stationary in a cabinet full of cables and it would not be worth the effort to get it any way
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
We are just completing an 8,000 mile trip. We have found most RV park cable to be almost worthless without a digital descrambler box, which most parks do not have. Those parks that had their cable on satellite were fine. Park cable has just about gone by the way side as has park wi-fi. Most of the park cable was analog signals on digital TV's and the picture was terrible.

The antenna amplifier was turned off when connecting to cable. We used our antenna for locals and satellite and gave up on park cable, but did check several just to see and they were all bad.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground