Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #15

During our full-timing we would spend just about the whole summer dry camping although not in one place. Our tanks could last 2 weeks. When full we'd move on. There are gorgeous spots in the west with open river and lake views. It's our favorite type of RVing. We used solar which is so quiet and efficient.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
My biggest concern about dry camping is sleeping at night. I cannot sleep if I am hot. I don't want to run the generator all night.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My biggest concern about dry camping is sleeping at night. I cannot sleep if I am hot. I don't want to run the generator all night.
Just to be curious... Why don't you want to run your generator all night?

Other than the obvious (cost money)... why not... I was leery too... but, after we purchased the "genturi".. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to run mine all night long.. I'm actually looking forward to doing more dry camping.. I don't have too many options around here in WI.. but I know one day, we will be able to go out west... dang.. I can't wait to go out west..

The way I look at it.. They probably added an extra $3,000 to $5,000 for the generator, I might as well use it.. especially with inverters.. I remember on my 1st RV, if I wanted to let the kids watch TV while I was driving, we had to run the generator.. now, the only reason we run the generator while on the road is for the AC or if we need to run the microwave for lunch...

I really hate that my generator has more hours from me exercising it.. than using it..

Get yourself a "genturi" and enjoy !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Come on out to Arizona, Eric. Talk about "dry camping"? We got that pretty well covered!

Sorry, just had to harass you this morning!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #19

Hi Raymond,

Like you, we were very reluctant to try dry camping. Back in 1977, with our first motorhome - a Midas Mini - we would trailer our Alfa Romeo Spider to compete in out of town sports car autocrosses, but always found a nearby RV park so we could be "connected" each night. Eventually, we became confident with our small water / holding tank capacity and one 12V house battery, and hesitantly ventured out into dry camping at the autocross sites. Now, still autocrossing and on our 4th motorhome, with big tanks, multiple batteries, and a Genturi for the generator, we think nothing of dry camping until almost all 80 gallons of fresh water is used, but are still way behind the experiences of those who boonedock way out in the wilderness. As I like to say, everyone is at a different stage in their RV experience.

Quote:
We did our first dry camping this week at the Tampa RV Supershow with the NKK group. The DW and I have been RV'ing for about 2 1/2 years. The first year in a fifth wheel and the rest in a motorhome. We have been in a lot of campgrounds with no sewer hookups, but never where we had to use our onboard water. Plus we had only 30 amp power where we are accustomed to 50 amp power.

I came prepared with a full tank of fresh water (70 gallons) and empty black (50 gallons) and gray (66 gallons). I also brought 3 1/2 cases of bottled water plus 2 - 2 1/2 gallon jugs of water. This would be our drinking and coffee making water being I wanted to save the tank water for the sewer and showers. I also brought 3 - 2 1/2 gallon jugs of water to use for anything that we needed to. This was not for drinking, but washing dishes and using it for flushing the toilet. I could also pour it in the fresh water tank if I needed to. The DW also used this water to wash dishes. She also had two pans that fit in the sinks to catch the water from going into the gray tank. This water was poured into a 2 1/2 gallon bucket to use for flushing the toilet. I had another 2 1/2 gallon bucket to catch the cold water at the shower. This was also used to flush the toilet.

We survived this experience a lot better than I thought. When we left the fairgrounds this morning we had over a third of a tank of fresh water left. Plus both of the black and gray was only at the 1/3 full level. I also still had 2 full cases of bottled water left.

We have done some camping with only 30 amp power so we was prepared for this and survived with no issues.

This entire experience has opened up a lot of future dry camping trips for us.

But regardless of the final outcome we are really enjoying have full hookups with 50 amp power. I just took probably the longest shower I have ever taken in our motorhome.

We are looking forward to doing the same thing with the NKK group next year.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Just to be curious... Why don't you want to run your generator all night?

Other than the obvious (cost money)... why not... I was leery too... but, after we purchased the "genturi".. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to run mine all night long.. I'm actually looking forward to doing more dry camping.. I don't have too many options around here in WI.. but I know one day, we will be able to go out west... dang.. I can't wait to go out west..

The way I look at it.. They probably added an extra $3,000 to $5,000 for the generator, I might as well use it.. especially with inverters.. I remember on my 1st RV, if I wanted to let the kids watch TV while I was driving, we had to run the generator.. now, the only reason we run the generator while on the road is for the AC or if we need to run the microwave for lunch...

I really hate that my generator has more hours from me exercising it.. than using it..

Get yourself a "genturi" and enjoy !!
Besides the fear of carbon monoxide poisoning plus the gas usage I think the noise and vibration would keep us from sleeping. The inverter on my current rig will only work the entertainment center.

We may have to try it one night to see. There are a lot of festivals we would love to go to that only dry camping is allowed.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Dale View Post
Come on out to Arizona, Eric. Talk about "dry camping"? We got that pretty well covered!

Sorry, just had to harass you this morning!
Gee.. thanks... as I sit here and type this from my desk at WORK !?!?!

My GF and I drove her son's car out to him in CA from WI... We stopped one night in Rock Spring, WY... All I kept saying is... Dang, I wish I was in our RV... I could have spent a month exploring that area...

Well.. Someday for this working stiff...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Besides the fear of carbon monoxide poisoning plus the gas usage I think the noise and vibration would keep us from sleeping. The inverter on my current rig will only work the entertainment center.

We may have to try it one night to see. There are a lot of festivals we would love to go to that only dry camping is allowed.
I get that... our generator is almost under our bed.. I was EXTREMELY surprised how quiet it was... I'm not saying we didn't know it was there.. but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be..

I too was worried about the CO.. that's why it's imperative for you to invest in a "genturi".. It works as advertised... plus, I think it helps quiet down the generator..
Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #23

Quote:

Oh... and don't worry about the gas usage... I made the big mistake of not filling up before we set up camp for our first boondocking experience.. I had just above a 1/4 of a tank... we camped for three days running the generator for many hours... I don't think the gauge moved... I see you have a newer RV... I think they are very fuel efficient and the benefits of using a little gas far out weighs the alternative..
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Oak creek, you must have went to the Tomahawk rally where they make the geezer glides. Gets a tad cold that time of year. We dry camp almost every weekend at race tracks with our family of 5. If its just a weekend we don't even pay attention to how much water we use and its never a problem. We will run low about the fourth day but I could easily stretch it to a week if I applied some of the tips the op recommended like saving the cold water when you first run the shower and using dish washing water to flush with. Both great ideas that I had not thought of but will surely drive my wife crazy. We never worry about batteries as we pretty much run the gen 24/7 but could cut way back on that as long as we don't need a/c. Even when its not all that warm we usually run the ac due to the amount of dust at the race tracks. If we kept the door open everything would be covered in one day of racing.
Yep... You nailed it... I was in Tomahawk, WI... We had a blast.. some real nice riding in northern WI... Just wish the weather cooperated... You should come up... you're not too far away !!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #25

Soon it will be our first boondocking as well. I still remember tent camping in the Tetons and having to dig a ditch around the tent to keep the rain out. Something tells me that camping in an Itasca 40 footer will be a little more comfortable.
I am ready to get spoiled rotten.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #26

Congrats on your first BDocking experience. You're prep work was solid!

We're still rookies at BDocking. I spent about a year reading up on different mod's to support more off the grid type camping. We added or made mods to:
-Larger Battery Bank (800AH)
-Solar Panel (1200W 48V high efficiency panels)
-New PSW Inverter/Charger (more for supporting electronics then for BDocking)
-A pump from Grey to Black, to allow moving several gallons over to Black
-We have a Mr. Heater Heat Buddy, and stubbed out a LP outlet into the coach to feed it

Last year we did our Retirement Victory Tour to Alaska. We left a bit early, crossing the Canadian border at the end of April. We pulled into Strawberry Flat campground right on the edge of Muncho Lake and stayed 6 nights. The lake was still frozen over, and he we had temps down into the teens. We followed the normal tips to extend our stay. (If it's yellow, let it mellow. Navy baths. Used dishwashing water for flushing. Lots of paper plates, to reduce dishwashing. The campground also had chemical pit thrones, and we'd use those during the daytime. Etc.) We had long days, sun still shining at 11:00PM, so out Solar Panel kept us charged up. We did run the generator to cook with the convection oven. We have Hydro Hot, and in the AM I'd fire that up around 5:00AM, as well as fired off the Heat Buddy, and by 6:00-6:30AM was nice and warm to venture out into the front of the coach.

We were getting a bit full on Black, smaller 45 gallon tank, but were still able to dry camp the 7th night at Liard Hot Springs. This was our first major attempt at BDocking, and we had a blast. We found that with our smaller Black tank, that this was the capacity limiting item for us. And that was with us using campground chemical johns during the day time...

Coaches are different, and habits are different, so times will vary for all of us!

Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
camping