Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #15

Walmart us the best stocked place for "comments needed" things like this and the price is very hard to beat.

They have both low and high quality stuff for great prices and also may have hose fittings and plain hose.

Amazon is best for mail order as they have just about anything on the planet via their network of sellers and if prime then free shipping on most and depending on location sometimes same day.

Walmart has a cheap hose that is in a very small package which one could consider "emergency hose " takes little space and ca get by if needed in an emergency but maybe not for a lot of uses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Walmart has a cheap hose that is in a very small package which one could consider "emergency hose " takes little space and ca get by if needed in an emergency but maybe not for a lot of uses.
I would never buy a 'cheap' sewer hose - even for an emergency. They are very thin and even gravel or in the desert - a thorn, will puncture them. You don't want cheap when it comes to a sewer hose possibly exploding.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I would never buy a 'cheap' sewer hose - even for an emergency. They are very thin and even gravel or in the desert - a thorn, will puncture them. You don't want cheap when it comes to a sewer hose possibly exploding.

X1 on this!
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #18

I have been using the same "cheap hose" that came with our first MH for more than 10 years. It is our standard dump hose as it lives in a tube on the back bumper. I never use it for anything but dumping. They are fine for that.

Two winters ago we went to Florida and I added a longer heavy duty hose from Walmart because I wanted to leave it set up and needed to add the collar that screws into the pipe at the park. It lives in a plastic box with the fittings. I'll add 15 feet or so of gutter cut into 5 ft pieces before we go somewhere like that again as I like it better than those slinky deals. Plastic gutter and a few blocks are more protective.

The reason for the different hoses is when dumping all one needs is the twist on end for the pipe on the RV. The other end just goes into the dump hole. A boot or brick or weighted cover keeps it in the hole while pulling the slide valve. After dumping use the flush hose at the dump station to rinse the inside and outside of the hose after you disconnect. Raise the short hose as you do that and it clears any contents into the hole. Rinse the end as it comes up. Then put the hose in it's storage place where it can dry. At that point I also wash my hands at the outside shower.

When in a park for a longer period than what your tanks will hold the "permanent" setup comes into play. That is where you run the hose and leave it set up for long periods of time. Then a tapered stand of some kind is needed to maintain a slope on the tube. You also may need a screw in 90 deg end the hose clamps on to as a seal. At that point you are at the mercy of the sun's UV damaging the plastic, string trimmer and thorn damage and have a nice trip hazard for folks who do not watch where they put their feet. ;-)

FWIW one of my minor amusements is watching folks set up the whole permanent setup when they pull in then pack it up when they leave the next day. They like the exercise more than I do. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote