Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
First Hosting Gig

Howdy,

This summer we will have our first campground hosting gig. It will be at a small state park in Missouri with only 25 camping spots. As I understand it, the park is not very busy during the week.

I was wondering about thoughts, tips, warnings, etc. you veteran hosts can share with me. Anything you can share that will help us do a better job will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don Simmons

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

We hosted at various times for 16 years in national and state parks in different areas. You shouldn't have any issues.

The Missouri state parks are great. I'm sure you know your duties by now and every park is different. Whenever we volunteered we were told definitely not to take matters into our own hands if there are serious problems. You will be given a phone # to call in that case. You can politely remind campers of rules if you see something wrong but don't go any further if they don't comply. Just call the ranger and let them take care of it. 99.5% of the visitors are terrific. For us, volunteering was very rewarding. We felt like we were really contributing to the kinds of parks we enjoy visiting. They are always so short-handed and lack funds. They'll really appreciate you. Have fun!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:31 AM   #3

Don , what park are you going to be at ?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

Make sure you have a comfortable chair to sit in the shade with, and a small sturdy table for your coffee cup and sit back and enjoy life, besides what could possibly go wrong?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

We volunteered two 9 month stays at a great park and enjoyed it tremendously. Also hosted a Lighthouse for a month last year and headed back again this year.
My best advice is you must be quick to handle any situation with friendly, accurate, common sense. It is not personal, it is a job. Have fun and let it be a memory you can share with friends. We were invited for lunch, dinner home made ice cream, birthday cake and campfire gatherings! We intreracted and made friends we still keep in touch with.
It will be what you make of it, enjoy.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all for your encouraging comments. After spending over 20 years in the front of a classroom full of middle schoolers, I think I can be up to the task. I was just wondering if there were unknown pitfalls.

Stepside454 - We will be at Robertsville, a small park west of St. Louis. Do you know it?

Don
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

I do . We live less than an hour away . It's an older park , very wooded , along the meramac river . A lot of people like that park . It's not one of our favorites .
Old 04-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hi Don, I have never been to the park but do know the area. Pacific is a nice little community I have some very close friends that live in Eureka. If you like BBQ try Super Smokers BBQ on old route 66 in Eureka.

Dan,
Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #9

Great place to start. Our first time we got a MD state park with 140 sites and 2 hosts. The other host was sick most of the time so we got the whole place. It was still a great time and the campers made it all worth while.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
We volunteered two 9 month stays at a great park and enjoyed it tremendously. Also hosted a Lighthouse for a month last year and headed back again this year.
My best advice is you must be quick to handle any situation with friendly, accurate, common sense. It is not personal, it is a job. Have fun and let it be a memory you can share with friends. We were invited for lunch, dinner home made ice cream, birthday cake and campfire gatherings! We intreracted and made friends we still keep in touch with.
It will be what you make of it, enjoy.
How do I find out more about volunteering at a lighthouse, that sounds like a great volunteer position.
Thanks,
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #11

I used google search in the state you would like to be a host. Took a lot of digging and changing key search wording. I almost gave up! Finally paid off, downloaded, printed a application mailed it back. Half a year later we were accepted for the next year! Lots of patience paid off.
Be aware the duties are different from one to another but where we were at we took turns in the tower with many steps! I comuted one morning shift nine times up/down the tower steps! Physically fit is the key to be able to perform the tasks. There are more Lighthouses than I ever could have ever guessed in America! Finding one will be worth the challenge, good luck!
Old 04-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Don,
We are not Hosting but,we are doing our first workcamping job starting April 30th.until July 30th. It is in Mayo, FL. at Swannee River Rv resort. so a little nervous.We stayed there for 2 wks. back in Feb. so we kinda know what to expect.Good Luck and Safe Travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #13

Hi Don,
Haven't been to Robertsville yet but it is not far from us. Ditto on Super Smokers BBQ in Eureka. Also Byerly RV is in Eureka in case you need something. That's where we bought our new rig last year. Old family operation. The park is in a pretty area and not too far to a lot to do in the region. When are you going to be there and we might drag ours down one weekend and visit. Hosting is in our plans as soon as the DW retires.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #14

Hi
DW and i have been hosting winters 5 month at a time for the past few years. Now this summer we will do 3 months in north Pole Alaska. Never been there so I'm excited. Hosting is great and yes don't try to enforce any rules jsut offer advice and call a ranger if that does not work. i think you will enjoy it. Especially considering your experience.
John