RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice! We are still locked into the standard week vacation at some interesting location and this may not be the best use of the rv. Next time we will try the one site to the next approach and see how it goes. I still work a 40 hour a week job and have to travel on a time budget but someday ....

https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
We still work full time and have to fit in our trips when we can, always with time issues. It's either that or always stay close to home, which we prefer not to necessarily do. We routinely travel as you are having to with no problems at all. It depends on the person. As mentioned above though, we stop, move around, look over the rig every couple of hours to stay alert. As others have also mentioned earlier though, we look forward to the time we won't [I][[COLOR="Sienna"have to if we don't feel like it.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure where in Arkansas you're starting from, but you might consider heading north to Salina, KS, taking I-70 to Limon, CO and US 24 on into Springs. Not as scenic, but a lot more user friendly to a truck pulling a trailer. So, from Ft. Smith the difference in mileage is like 5-6 miles between the two routes.

The route up I-25 makes you climb a lot of hills, into valleys, up hills, into valleys (you see the pattern). Through KS, you only have to gain the altitude once, mostly. Coming home, the I-25 route wouldn't be quite as bad.

However you chose to go, have fun on the trip and while at the Springs!
Old 02-08-2017, 10:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
We are planning our first multi-day pull and I know I can drive 9-10 hours a day but can I pull a travel trailer that long? I will be doing all the driving myself and with the new 3/4 ton it isn't stressful at all. We are going to be staying at Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs and traveling from Arkansas via Amarillo which will be our first day stop. Any advice ?
I totally understand a time limit... Thats what we have been on for ever...I still work 60 hrs plus a week) On our previous NW AR to Amarillo stops,,, we use the travel stop on I44 between Tulsa and Ok City at the 178 mile marker.... Plenty of room in the day,,, Mcdonalds and fuel there../.. (good price) Room to walk our kids,,,, (dogs),,,Just a streach your legs stop... then on to the other side of OKC for the first stop.... If you choose to make Amarillo your first stop,,,, we have stayed at 2 different parks,,, the last one was here,,, https://www.myrvoasis.com/ It was a nice clean newer park,,, BUT,,, no shade (if you are here in the heat) ,,, we got there a little late,,, (few minutes) no note,,, we just picked our spot,,, worked out fine.... We have spent the last few years going from AR to AZ ,,, ask if any questions,,,,,,
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've made that trip across the country a number of times. From the AR/OK border to Amarillo is about 425...add in Cabot to AR/OK, and
Amarillo will be a very long day. Most TTs have ST tires, speed rated to 65.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Sittin' in the cab of a truck for 9-10 hrs 2 days in a row, what fun .
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #21

Why not get your wife driving that RV so she can help out while you take a nap or just rest your eyes? Many women drive. It's no big deal. It would be so much safer.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #22

We used to do that all the time and sometimes more with a TC when we were working, traveling about 6-8k miles each summer. I was the only driver. That was through my 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s, but now at 77 I've slowed down a bit. I still can if it is necessary, but that isn't the case so much anymore. Assuming a similar health/age situation, I would think you should be able to do about the same.

If you want to make time I would suggest using interstates as much as possible, that's what we do. If there is time for sightseeing then use smaller roads.

I'm thinking the best thing is to drive until you get tired and then rest. A walk around a rest area does wonders. If we were tired sometimes we would have a short nap after lunch, and we always tried to get a good nights sleep. You will probably have it figured out after the first day or so.

Have a wonderful trip!

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #23

On our bigger trips, I try and break it up so we run about 300-350 miles a day. That way we get into a place and have time for kids to play, swim, etc and get a good dinner made. That being said I have done a couple 400- 500 mile days with the longest about 600 miles from Nashville to Richmond ...and that's towing a 16500lb toy hauler. I won't do that again...I was wiped out, but that was end of a 23 day trip and I just wanted to get home.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:25 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
9-10 hours during the summer traveling West is doable but WHY? Starting at o-dark thirty and ending at 14-1500 is more reasonable if that long.
Take your time and enjoy the trip, that is why you are carrying your bed with you. Besides you need time to setup camp and get dinner going. Plus you need to unwind and really get an good nights sleep before taking off again.
Slow down and see America, we all read about it in school, we see the pictures and the movies, now you can actually get out and see it for real. If you are gonna do a speed trip then pick which direction to do it in and take it easy in the other direction, but always always give yourself some extra time because things happen.
Smell the coffee, fell the crisp air on your face and enjoy the view.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #25

Sounds like they only have two weeks or less for the trip. Time available makes a huge difference in how things are done. I would guess that, given unlimited time, they would do just as many recommend, myself included.

I still remember our first trip from WV to see the West and determine if we would like to live out here. We had a '69 Opel Cadette wagon with an air mattress in the back dragging a tent trailer from the '50s. It was in the very early '70s during April and we had three weeks. We were able to see many beautiful places near I-40, up through CA, OR, WA into Olympic NP and back to WV. The only time we were off interstates was when we were going to a NP or other attraction that was on our list. There just wasn't time to do it any other way. It was however a wonderful trip. Since then we have wandered all over the US and AK using a combination of interstates and smaller roads when there was enough time to do so.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #26

We just did our first big trip in a class A motorhome towing a jeep. 400 miles in a day is fine. 450 is ok but a bit much. 500 is a little too much for me.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Reading this thread is one of the big reasons we upgraded to a class A. Figure we can swap drivers. My wife is fine driving the class A, but she doesn't want to drive the truck with the trailer. Potty breaks we can go in the back, food on board. Just get gas and keep rolling. Like others we work full time, and only have so much vacation time.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #28

Totally understand the vacation mode. We used to try and run sunrise to sunset minimum, occasionally longer if we didn't like the area we were in or wanted to make sure we got to that distant location ASAP. Usually took 1 day longer going home so we could arrive in the daylight, and we were losing time zones going east. Yes we may be a little tired when we arrived, but would never have made an East to West trip in the time frame we had if we hadn't. Nothing a good nights sleep didn't cure, and besides we were on vacation in that special place!
Now we only run about 500 miles a day, give or take a little.

'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote