Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
First long trip

Better half and I are taking our first long trip in the MH and also first time towing. We are leaving Michigan April 17th and headed to New Orleans.

Any suggestions on things that have to be seen and restaurants that we have to go to in NOLA?

Also would love any tips someone may be willing to share on towing.

I have a 2002 Winnebago Sightseer and will be towing a 2008 Ford Edge.

Thanks

Rfennermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

IMHO, you won't need many tips on towing once you get your set up correct. You should have a toad braking system and a properly sized tow bar with safety chains. You might also want to leave your rear view camera on so you can watch your toad while driving but mostly, you won't even know it's back there.

You might want to tie a rag or piece of tape to the toad steering wheel so you can see that the toad wheels are turning along with the coach, and remember that you can't back up so always have an exit strategy before you pull into some place.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Just starting out towing, I would highly suggest making up a checklist... I have multiple checklists on my iPad that I go over as we're prepping to leave and when we arrive. I have a separate checklist for the toad. Then when I exit the coach, after engine start and the jacks are retracting, I do my final "walk around" to include going back over all of the toad connections, toad emergency brake ETC. "Double checking" is a great habit to get into!!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

When in NOLA don't miss coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde. Have seafood on Bourbon St. Tour some plantations.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jackson Square at the French Quarter on a Saturday or Saturday afternoon. Artist , musicians, and more.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on Cafe du Monde. Also don't miss the best sandwich ever... a Muffuletta at Central Grocery. Both are in the French Qtr. Yummy.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #7

D Day museum is a must. Very humbling experience. French Quarter and the Garden District. Try a wonderful meal at Commanders Palace, Louisiana Pizza Kitchen and my favorite..Irene's.

There are a couple of nice RV parks, French Quarter RV resort which is within walking distance of Café Dumond and Ponchatrain Landing which is about 5 miles from the French Quarter. FQRV is more expensive but a much higher end park, Ponchatrain Landing is certainly a nice park as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

You can buy a day pass for the trolley/bus system. We took the old wooden trolley out St. Charles to see the homes. We were in NOLA at Christmas 2012. And we did the trolley late in the day so we could see the decorations. You can really get around with this pass!

Check out the French Market. We found local artists selling their wares along with the typical knick knacks made across the seas.

We did a tour of St. Louis Cemetery 1 with a guide from Save Our Cemeteries. Very interesting & full of fun facts along with the history. Our guide's family is buried there.

There were 6 of us who traveled to NOLA for the holiday. We plan on a return visit. The people are wonderful & the food is spectacular. We decided to find the best pralines in town. Which meant lots of research & eating of the fine sweets. Our favorite was from Southern Candymakers. Next visit we will head there & not stop anywhere else for sweets.

DH is retired Navy so we were at the RV park at the Joint Base down in Belle Chase.

Enjoy your visit! The food, the drink, the pralines!
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
1/2 a block off Bourbon (across from Pat O'Brian's) there's a place called Yo Mama's best burgers and baked potatoes!
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
1/2 a block off Bourbon (across from Pat O'Brian's) there's a place called Yo Mama's best burgers and baked potatoes!
If you accidentally wander in to Pat O'Brians, please remember that it's much better to WATCH the drinkers in there than it is to actually BECOME one of them!!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

x2 for Yo Mama's Bar & Grill.

Sassy and rude, feels just like home...
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #12

For sure Pat O Brians and Brennans if you can get in. I went to N O every Christmas as a child. GET ON A STREETCAR for it is a Desire too
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote