Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
First MH - Help with direction

My wife and I are 43 years old with a 16 year old that will camp with us for the next couple years before heading off to college.

We've had 2 TT's in the past and the last one we sold about 5 years ago. We purchased both of them new. The first one we had for roughly 2 years before trading up.

We've always wanted a MH. To have the ability to jump in, go to the grocery store, and leave town for a few days is very appealing to us. We run an air conditioning and heating business in Florida. Summertime camping will be long weekends to local campgrounds and week long excursions during the fall, winter, and spring months around the southeast region of the US. Frequency will no doubt be at least once a month. We also like to go to car shows, football games, etc.

Today, we put down a small deposit to hold a Georgetown 330TS while we sleep on it. It's a 2011 with 14,000 miles. It seems to be in very good shape except the passenger seat is flaking. They said they would re-upholster the seat for us. The carpet is also oddly stapled down along the entire seam where it meets the linoleum flooring and they said they would put some molding down to cover it. The price is $74,000 which I think is fair considering I'm trading in a boat that I'm about $3,000 upside down on.

We have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee that we would pull behind the MH.

With that said, we are wondering if we are looking at too much MH for our needs. We definitely like space and we want almost new. We've looked at quite a few MH's and really didn't like anything less than a 2008. They just seem too used for our taste. At the same time we are wondering if 70 to 80,000 is the right range for our first MH. I would guess that we would want to upgrade in about 5 years.

Another consideration is buying a 2005 Silverado 2500HD with Duramax Diesel for $22,000 and a $30,000 5ver. The tow vehicle would only be used for towing as we have other daily drivers.

Either setup would be stored inside a warehouse when not being used.

I realize I didn't ask much of a question here, but if you could help me through the thought process, it would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Rob
AirManFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #2

From what you are discribing I would say that you are not looking at too much motorhome. I have little knowledge of the Georgie MH so can not comment on it. Is it a gasser or DP, what size generator and hours on it. We have a 38' for just the DW and 2 labs and we have just about the right amount of room. The daughter and her famliy has a 40' Monaco, has 2 teen age daughter and even with several of their friends they have enough room.
Even with a few 'minor' item that need to be repaired, it sounds like you are on the right road.
Good luch with your (possible) new toy.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
KIX

Some things that, in my opinion, will be important to you as your Rving time is limited by your work schedule.
!. Automatic leveling
2. Slides (at least 2)
3. Larger (like 22.5") tires run cooler
4. Less carpet
5. Minimal set up time.

Again, my opinion, but a motohome is easier to set up at a campsite than a 5er. You can get a motorhome with 22.5" tires too. Bigger is better. IFS front end is a real plus.
FWIW you should be able to get a really mice motorhome in the '08 vintage for the mid $70's.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Bought our first motorhome in 2011. Was a 27 footer with no slides. One year later, sold it and bought a 2006 Georgetown TS. Love, love, love it. The extra room made a huge difference, so, no, I don't think you're looking at too much of a motorhome. As for the price, check the NADA values on that motorhome. We got ours slightly below "low retail". Good luck!

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote