RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #1

First Run Of 2500 Miles

We bought this 2003 fiver in January and spent the next three months reading and researching on what needs to be done maintenance wise and any upgrades. Reading reports on the Carlyle tires I felt confident on buying them. I found the wheel weight carrying ability undersized so we bought a new set of steel wheels rated for our load. The wheel bearings were packed at this time.
The pin box had four hardware grade bolts holding to the frame so I replaced them with grade eights.

The battery in the unit was less than two years old, but decided to buy a pair of six volt Interstates. We switched them to the front compartment of the 5 and now use the original one for further storage. Secured them in with two-inch PVC screwed to the floor, and sections of carpet to cushion the ride. I have to pick up an isolator switch to disconnect the battery voltage when we aren't using the trailer.

The refrigerator gave us no trouble and cooled better than expected. Hot water was another issue. The kitchen and shower stall the hot water just trickle out of the faucets, but we have full flow in the bath sink. This showed up on our last night on the road. I'd say faulty washers are the problem. However, with gas we have hot water, with shore power none. The rear vent fan in the bath ceiling had the crank up cover, so I bought one that eliminates this by covering the hole with a ninety-degree hood. I ordered a wall switch to run the blower in that vent as you have to reach up high to access the switch. I got up on the roof and found caulk the was failing, so scraped the loose pieces off and used just an off the shelf caulk only until I can redo these areas correctly. Did buy one of those high air flow tank vent caps and installed it over the black tank vent tube.

Wasn't able to test the AC at home due to insufficient AC hook up. So when we made our first camp we had a mobile repairman replace the motor capacitor and a new thermostat. That to runs better than I expected to.

Other than damage to the DC plug on the lights for the trailer all in all we did pretty well I'd say.

Yesterday I reconfigured a fence on the property so a gate can be installed into the side yard. Our city frowns on campers parked in front of residences.

This doesn't cover all the work I did to our 01' Ram 2500 pickup (76K mileage). Anything that was of concern was addressed. And yes with a 360 V8 it struggled uphill in the Carolinas and Northern Georga. We will struggle on with her until we can buy a more suitable one. We gotta say we did enjoy the new experience being on the road.

Auggie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

Sounds like you're on the ball! What kind of caulking would be suitable to use? I notice mind is looking old and messy. And falling of in spots

Minfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

Dicor is what brand most use, but in a pinch, use anything other then silicone type...
Old 05-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

Which brand of water heater?.....If turned on with electricity, and no water in it, the element will be toast....
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Which brand of water heater?.....If turned on with electricity, and no water in it, the element will be toast....

I think that may have happen already. She turned it on by mistake and all I hear was a sizzle and turned it off. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minfou View Post
Sounds like you're on the ball! What kind of caulking would be suitable to use? I notice mind is looking old and messy. And falling of in spots

I don't know of a brand but was advised to be sure to use a self leveling-type by a pro.