Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Cruise control has a fuse, check for continuity. Sometimes it will appear good but still not have continuity.
Some slide mechanisms require a block to prevent them from creeping out, your owners manual should address that. If they are used, place a prominent sign near the control switch cautioning you to remove them prior to using the switch. I have hyd slide mechanism. I learned to hold the switch for a couple seconds after the slide is fully retracted. This creates pressure to hold the slide in place.

Holding tank level indicators are notoriously inaccurate, even the newer electronic non-contact units are inaccurate on occasion, it all depends on build-up on the walls.

Now you have a list for the sales dept. to correct. If your salesman doesn't want to follow-up, contact the sales manager and request the repairs. The worst they can do is tell you to hit the road, but if they are customer-oriented they might just fix everything for you, especially anything safety-related, like dash lights at night etc. Ignoring a safety issue will land them in hot water if it causes a wreck or personal harm.

I have checked everything I can think of. Fuse, change tail light bulbs and even sockets and added a new ground, changed both brake petal switches. I'm at a loss. Worked when I bought it but no go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga80486 View Post
Sounds like a great trip the girls will never forget.
What kind of dog is that?
He is a 5 month old Australian Shepard/old English sheepdog mix. Currently 40lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
2500 miles in five days?
What was your longest driving day?
We are more of get to the destination people then enjoy the drive.
Friday left at 7pm and drove to Memphis. My wife and kids slept in the back most of the night. Got to Memphis around 4am for a few hours until my wife woke up and started to drive. Got to Grand Isle Louisiana about 3:00pm.
Setup camp while my wife and kids went off to the beach. Once dark we ate dinner and started to talk. The beach was not very nice, Lots of mud to get to the beach and the beach was the #1 reason we went down there and the kids were not even able to enjoy it. At 7:00pm we decided to make a move. packed it all in and headed to Alabama. Stopped for the night at the rest area on the Mississippi side of the state line off I-10. It had a site for each RV. Really nice. In fact nicer then the campground we left.
Then another 2 hours to dauphin island Alabama. This place was awesome. Great beaches which were dog friendly, stuff to do within walking distance, and campground was nice. WELL worth the move. Then on Monday after the repairs we left for home. Again drove until 4am then around 7am my wife started to drive the last 3 hours.

We drive to Florida once or twice a year. Biggest problem is we have a boat that with the trailer weighs in at 7,000lbs. Not a chance I could launch it but still on the fence on whether I can trailer it. Total length of boat and trailer is about 27'. Its a 23' boston whaler. Was looking last night for a super C and Wow those are not cheap. We were talking last night and thinking of moving up to something a little newer. Like say 2005 or newer and maybe a little shorter like 30'. Currently I have $18,500 into what I have. I think I can sell for that and move to something else.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I admit that a couple of times I laughed out loud as this sounds like a few adventures we've had. I'm really impressed with the detached manner in which you described embers coming out of the vents!

Glad you made it back and had a great time.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #17

I like your attitude. Just keep on going. It is really great that the kids like it. I find that I am learning a lot about RV maintenance. You will too :-). For every one thing I try to fix I learn about several other things before I find the right one. That knowledge makes later repairs easier. I do my own repairs as much as possible and I find that, similar to a a steam locomotive, I spend an hour of maintenance or repair for every ten or twenty on the road. Just wait until you get out west and get off onto the t lane roads! There is a campground in Long Beach CA where you can bike to the Queen Mary or the Beach. In Key West there is a really nice campground. Limitless options. Have fun.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #18

Great story, and great attitude. So long as you are having fun and the family likes it, you're going to be OK. Let us know how the repairs go.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
That was just a great read! You have a great attitude about it all.
I seriously was laughing so hard about her saying maybe we should have done something different and the wiper flies off.
It it a nice looking coach, thanks for the story!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I'm really impressed with the detached manner in which you described embers coming out of the vents!
O I wasn't very detached. There was a very strong pucker factor at the time. Also it seemed that if it was to catch fire the RV would be done and I don't think marbles likes to put on a big show. Its more of a one liner type truck.

Laugh or Cry. Laugh or Cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I find that I am learning a lot about RV maintenance. You will too :-). I do my own repairs as much as possible In Key West there is a really nice campground. Limitless options. Have fun.
I have always worked on my own stuff. When I was 18 I went to a automotive school and worked as a mechanic for a while before I realized I like expensive toys and that job wasn't gonna pay for them. Now much of what I learned back in 2001 I have lost or things have changed but I always want to try.

I do plan on taking it to a workhorse shop to figure out what's wrong. Maybe do the work myself or just pay them to do it. Figure it will cost me probably $300 for them to tell me what's wrong but I need to get it fixed whether or not I sell it otherwise the sales advertisement would read like this "Runs great, everything works, heat works so well you have embers coming out of vents and it even turns off the dash lights automatically while driving for better visibility."

Where is this place in the keys? We are going to go to FL I think in late march for spring break. We have taken the boat to the keys a few times in the past and the keys are AWESOME with a boat.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We were at a meet and greet during our first RV outing. Listened with keen attention to all the tales of things gone wrong shared by the more experienced folks. When one man mentioned keeping a spare set of wipers after having one fly off during a rainstorm, we added that to our list of things to always have on board. So grateful for the free education provided by people who have been there before and paid the tuition...
Old 02-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #22

I enjoyed the tale of your first outing. I can only imagine what went through your mind when you realized that slide was out!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #23

There is nothing that ever compares to your first trip in your first motorhome. , etc....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
First the trip is awesome and we are loving the idea of a RV but had a few road bumps along the way. Here is the issues as they happened
Man, that sounds like the RV trip from hell. I would have been tempted to throw it back!

Glad you're still "all in", and hope it gets better for you and the fam.

Roger
Old 02-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #25

Wow... what a ride !!

As the old saying goes... if you ain't livin' on the edge... then you're just takin' up space..

I would have gone thru a pants change if I saw my slide fully extended going 70mph on the highway...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #26
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
the sales advertisement would read like this "Runs great, everything works, heat works so well you have embers coming out of vents and it even turns off the dash lights automatically while driving for better visibility."

You're killin' me man....
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #27

Wow, you sure like driving at all hours of the night. So what's the deal with embers coming out of the heat vents?
Old 02-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Wow, you sure like driving at all hours of the night. So what's the deal with embers coming out of the heat vents?
Well took out the blower motor a little while ago. SUPER EASY. took just a few minutes thank god. The fan moves side to side. a little in and out, and has some port holes that looked to have started to melt along with a additional porthole that shouldn't be there due to melting. So replacement of the fan should fix the ember problem. Problem is finding a replacement as the part number doesn't exist on the web. I think I found a similar one at the parts store for $50. Different part number but looks identical in the pictures.

One problem down. a few more to go.