Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #1

First Scratch

Well...it took five months and four trips but I finally put the first scratch on the rig...hit the mailbox as I drove out of our own driveway.

It put a long scrape down the side and took a bit of paint off the "seams" by the door. We have a 2011 Winnebago Sightseer.

It's not horrible, it's not "nothing"...it's something in-between. Since I'm not familiar with how repairs to these materials go...I have no idea what it would cost to touch up where the paint is off...small area...and how much it would take to flatten out the slight creases in two small areas.

Anyone have this experience? What did you do? Anything? Or did you leave it. Do I have to worry about rust? I'm not sure what is metal anymore...

As an ovarian cancer survivor, things don't bug me like they used to. Prior to my illness I would have agonized over this incident, nowadays I have a different attitude. I got out...looked at it and then climbed back in and started the trip....by the time I reached the end of my street--less than a 10th of a mile--I had put it out of my mind.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Smart Lady--Now its used

Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieM View Post
As an ovarian cancer survivor, things don't bug me like they used to. Prior to my illness I would have agonized over this incident, nowadays I have a different attitude. I got out...looked at it and then climbed back in and started the trip....by the time I reached the end of my street--less than a 10th of a mile--I had put it out of my mind.
Smart lady indeed.

Our new rig is now four years old with 35,000 miles and nearly 1000 nights in campgrounds in 34 states. We've been pretty lucky but these past two weeks bouncing around Oregon State Parks took their toll and I now have several new scratches on the paint near the roof line and on my right hand mirror. The parks are beautiful but we found that they're not trimming the pesky trees quite enough for a big rig to fit in some places.

But, we're fortunate to have these expensive toys and getting them marked up a bit is just part of the price of admission. Keep your great attitude and you'll enjoy it much more.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You did the correct thing. More will come, I can almost guarantee it. Maybe not from you but a stone chip here and another one there they soon seem to add up. I try to be as careful as can be but every time I look the moho over it seems you find another blemish. For now I have some touch up paint and I dab the spots that are there. The one big thing I DO have to deal with is the peeling of the clearcoat and paint on my front upper nose. Oh well it's scheduled to go in the 25th of this month so the checkbook will be about $812.00 less. Can't let it go as the area is growing by not having it attended to. Hang in there and Happy Motoring!
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

Well, now you've joined the crowd. There are few around here that haven't had similar experiences and I'm definitely not one of them. Everything on an RV can be repaired and somewhere along the line probably will be. For my goofs I took mine to a truck body repair shop that works on commercial vehicles. Came out looking fine.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Annie, I admire your attitude toward the situation. Like you, I put the first scratch on our then new motorhome in our own driveway at home. Scraped a large boulder with the lower front cap while backing in. I covered the scratch (gouge) with one of my new irv2 stickers, and haven't had to look at it again since. (Oh, and I did put the other sticker on the rear of the coach.)
Enjoy your motorhome, scratches are a part of the experience.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #7

Annie, you're exactly right. It is funny how those things we think in life are beyond our ability to handle only prove to enlighten us to the REAL meaning and importance of life. I remember how a few years ago something like a scratch would have caused my weekend RVing trip to have been destroyed. Now, it's a scratch...no more than a blemish on something that will someday be of no value anyway. It's the big picture and Truth that we got to learn to comprehend. I'm a slow learner though!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Annie,
It happened to me on our Maiden Voyage. We were evacuating because of Hurricane Ike. We didn't even have the hitch on the TOAD yet, so it stayed home and DW drove her Lincoln and followed me. We left at night and went about 100 miles inland to a
CG we know. Going around the turn-around to get orientated properly there was a pick-up truck parked parallel in the road. I had swung wide and could not make the turn because of the truck. I backed up to clear it, and in pulling forward I hit the 3 inch pipe filled with cement anchored into the ground with cement. Fortunately the rain had loosened the earth and it tipped over but not before putting a big gouge in one of my bay doors on the bottom. My wife said, "leave it there as a purple heart and a reminder." (I think there were other words of stupid actions and such, but they are not important.)

Now, 3 years later, the bashed door on the bottom still looks bashed.

Some day when she's not looking I'm going to get it fixed.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
any autobody shop can fix it, I'd get it repaired
Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
AnnieM:

G'morning from South Dakota. Yup,...those first scratches are a funny thing. At first it's kinda like......OH NO !!..DANG !!..etc. etc., but, as someone once told me, once ya have that first scratch, ding, bump, whatever, THAT'S when ya finally get the feeling that you REALLY own that rig!! It's goofy, but, it's kind of a "bonding" experience.

Steve & Lynette
Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieM View Post
Good for you! Once you have a life altering situation, everything around you looks differently! Enjoy life and do what makes you happy!!
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I too remember my first scratch. My first voyage. While pulling out of my camping spot that was lined with a big rock at the front of each corner, I learned my first valuable lesson that a 35' motorhome swings like a logging truck and scraped the bottom of my bay door at the very back.
"Oh Well", "No lives were lost" I always say to myself in these moments lacking better judgement!
I was glad to have that first one under my belt!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
"Oh Well", "No lives were lost" I always say to myself in these moments lacking better judgement!
I was glad to have that first one under my belt!
That's another one of my sayings...that and "lesson learned"....I find it helps with the "trauma" to put it in perspective...for others around me, and for me!

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyaim View Post
Good for you! Once you have a life altering situation, everything around you looks differently! Enjoy life and do what makes you happy!!

I think it's BECAUSE I have had a life altering situation that we now own a RV...something we have wanted to have for a long time, but never seemed to be able to justify the expense. Funny how your perspective changes, now the money isn't as important as it used to be.

You truly cannot take it with you and we want to be able to experience the ride...with all its joys and nicks, dings and scratches!