Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First steps!

Day before yesterday we started the slow process of trying to down size, but to what we will down size is still unanswered. We want to do a lot more RVing, but DW is not ready to completely give up having an S&B somewhere.

We had a long time friend, who is a realtor, come in and give us her rundown on what we need to do to the house to get it on the market within the next month. Rented a storage locker yesterday to use for temporary storage and sorting of what we haven't made a decision yet to get rid of or take and to lighten the house for showing. About a year ago we made the decision that we want to make a move back to Texas from somewhere east of San Antonio to east-north east of Houston. We started looking at the Kerrville area while down there last summer, but after returning here I convinced the wife that we really needed to focus further to the east the area surrounding Conroe, TX as most of her family is within the Houston to east Texas area. I've not muchfamily left, my brother who lives here and our son who lives in Charlottesville, VA. Keeping the RV is not an issue, it's that the she wants an S&B of some shape form or function even if small. I can buy off on that just to keep her happy, but I want it to be on a 1/2 acre or more where I can store the RV and trailers when not on the road, but operate at nominal cost.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Stan & Shirley!

If you're going to sell the house anyway, why not consider going fulltime in the RV for a while to see if you like it before making a decision about another house. What do you have to lose!

Hope everything works out good for you! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Somewhere on this site I ran across a picture of a couple who built a big pole barn. They full time in the RV but use the pole barn as their base. In the pic they have the RV inside the barn as their house and also in the barn is "his" area with tools, etc as well as "her" area with sewing machine, etc. I think that's a great idea for people who still want some permenant place without the formality if a s&b. Seriously considering doing the same after I retire.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A doublewide manufactured home on a lot in Texas hill country sounds like it suits the need. The area around Spring Branch has more than a few RVers with a home base there.

Our own inexpensive bungalow on a 1/2 acre is outside of Ocala, FL, but if Momma wants Texas, that's where you ought to go.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

The good thing about this life is that we all get to make our own choices. Some of us want the freedom of the open road without a S&B, some need the "roots" of a neighborhood. Each decision is ok. We sold our house in 2006 and travel with some friends I've known since high school who can't imagine selling their home. It's full with over 30 years of "stuff" and would be quite a burden on their daughters if something happened to one of them. Both of us are happy with our decisions. Do what makes both of you happy.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #6

We did the whole downsize thing. Wow! How much stuff one accumulates!?! After the first two weeks of selling items on craigslist, I couldn't give away the rest. I had to hire a junk hauler to come take it all away... it took him 7 runs. HA!

Now we're fulltiming and it's a real relief not to have so many things weighing us down. But we still have our S&B (on Lake Conroe, TX of all places). We have it up for sale although we occassionally use it as a base as well since I've had two knee surgeries this year (much easier to recover in a home than an RV). If it doesn't sell by November end I'll take it off the market and lease it instead.

We plan to buy a farm (20-40 acres) in the PNW in the next 12 months as our base and put our new TH FW in it until we decided it's time to build a home again. The FW will sit in a barn or shop type structure. We'll just use that as a place to store our FW between traveling and other assignments. I'll hire a farmer to take care of the farming portion.

Tags
steps