Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

First Time Four Wheels Down

Howdy:
I am new to this form so here goes.
I have had RV's for 40 years, all been pulling travel trailers, but this will be my first time towing a dingy behind a motor home . I am having a 2003 Toyota 4Runner modified with a Remco driveshaft disconnect . This vehicle has a Automatic Transmission with electric 4 WD selection. My question is what configuration do you place the transmission/ 4 wheel drive select position and the ignition position to tow this type of vehicle? Of course you get no help from Toyota they say don't tow this vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

You got plenty of help from Toyota, you just choose to ignore it. Sorry, but some vehicles are not made to be towed 4 down.

FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One would logically assume that if the transfer were set the same as when you were using only rear wheel drive, and used a driveshaft discon on the rear wheels the front wheels would receive no more wear than if you were under power. Of course it may not pay to assume that there is any logic involved in the Toyota design.

Glenn
Old 04-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
First off I would NEVER flat tow a vehicle that the builder clearly states shouldn't be towed 4 down. If you are determined to do it anyway, I'd make sure you start it and let run for five minutes every three hours. Check your tranny fluid and differential oil regularly. That's the absolute least you should be doing.

Good luck.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing it doesn't have a neutral position on the transfer shift? Cause if it did, you would not need the driveshaft disconnect. So, assuming your choice is 2WD or 4WD, choose 2WD and engage to disconnect. And pray. The worry here is that some transfer cases of this time still have some small amount of power to the front wheels when in rear (2W) drive mode.

The steering wheel has to be unlocked (free to turn) when towing 4-down. If the 4Runner has a locking steering column as an anti-theft device, put the ignition is a position that will unlock it. On most cars the ACC key position will do this.

Good luck!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

C4 said that he has the Remco drive shaft disconnect. That should protect the transmission. That's why Remco sells it. I don't know about the transfer case, but again, Remco sells it for the purpose.

C4, back to you; ASK Remco where to put the shifts for the transfer case. They should tell you.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
C4 said that he has the Remco drive shaft disconnect. That should protect the transmission.
The disconnect only handles one drive shaft, and a 4WD vehicle has two of them (one each to front and rear axles). Some electronic shift 4WD systems always proportion some of the engine output to the front drive axle, even when in highway (2WD) mode. I don't know about the Toyota electronic 4WD system, but figured to warn C4th about the possibility.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #8

Makes sense.
Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #9

Rather than an uninformed reactionary reply, here is your situation.

Your concern is if your front wheels have hubs that disconnect the front driveshaft from turning. Assuming that the hubs do disconnect, then you would leave the transfer case in 2WD, and the trans in park, and the rear driveshaft disconnected with the Remco setup. The front wheels "freewheel" and the front driveshaft does not turn. In effect the front wheels are like a 2wd, just rotating on the spindle.

If your front hubs do not have disconnect hubs, then your front wheels will cause the front driveshaft to turn with the wheels. This will in turn rotate the transfer case internals. If Toyota says that can't be done, then you need a second driveshaft disconnect mechanism. This might be simple as just unbolt the driveshaft, or if enough room, a second Remco unit.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #10

We have a 4Runner and were going to put the disconnect on it and Toyota recommended us not to do it. I asked if we upgrade to the 4WD 4runner, would there be a way to do it, and they told us no. So if you like your 4Runner I wouldn't tow it 4 down, as you may end up damaging the transmission or transfer case. They are not set up like the Jeeps with a true neutral position for towing. Toyota is pretty up front about the towing ability of their vehicles, as we researched thru Toyota on dolly towing a Camry Hybrid too, and they told us it was ok to do and would not void the warranty.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4thMnman View Post
Howdy:
I am new to this form so here goes.
I have had RV's for 40 years, all been pulling travel trailers, but this will be my first time towing a dingy behind a motor home . I am having a 2003 Toyota 4Runner modified with a Remco driveshaft disconnect . This vehicle has a Automatic Transmission with electric 4 WD selection. My question is what configuration do you place the transmission/ 4 wheel drive select position and the ignition position to tow this type of vehicle? Of course you get no help from Toyota they say don't tow this vehicle.

We were looking at purchasing a Chrysler Town & Country or a Toyota Tacoma to 4 wheel flat tow. Remco used to sell a driveshaft disconnect for the Toyota, but no longer does. I contacted them, and they said the stopped selling them because too many people were having transmission failures . . . using their drive shaft disconnects. . . .

Remco still sells a lube pump for the Town & Country, but if you search IRV2 for Town & Country and Remco, you will hear from some members who had no issues, and several who ended up with destroyed transmissions.

Also be aware that Remco no longer sells drive shaft disconnects. They farmed that off to Drive Shaft King, and South West Drive Lines.

Bottom line, bottom line is that while Remco will sell you the lube pump and USED to sell you the drive shaft disconnects, they still toe the party line that if the manufacturer states not to tow it, then they (Remco) don't recommend it and will assume no liability if it destroys your vehicle . . . .

so, I would have to say that the recommendations that you follow the manufacturers recommendations are the best advice you have gotten on this thread.

We elected to not purchase the Toyota Tacoma, and instead went with a 2005 GMC Canyon that is flat towable from the factory with no modifications. It even tells you the procedure for towing behind a motor home in the Owner's Manual! Good luck with your choices!

Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote