Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #1

First time out

Well, I was more excited than apprehensive about towing our new rig. I have never towed anything this large before. But the new Toyota Tundra pulls like a mule, I looked down and was doing 80 MPH. the mirrors are fine, good view.

We were about 80 miles into the trip when my wife asked if I checked the blinkers because I kept looking in my mirror saying, "You don't see my blinkers *%&#@? It then occurred to me that I never plugged in the cord. Of course I said nothing about this and plugged them in discreetly.

We set up and jacked the front up as high as it would go, put two landscape timbers under the ramp door and my motorcycle ramps and the Harley rolled right out with no dragging. My wife said, "The bathroom smells like an outhouse." So I opened two of the packages of enzymes and dumped them in. There was a moment of "potty anxiety" as I pulled the lever and the commode filled to the top, "The tank must be full." I said.

Went outside and dumped it, it was empty. I then read the directions, "Pull to first position to add water, pull forward to open vale and flush." It went right down.

Rolled out the canopy and the door was dragging on it. A friendly neighbor told us how to adjust it and fixed that problem. When we went to leave, I hooked up the wire and saw this small cable with a black plug on the end, "I wonder what this is?" I thought so I just wrapped it around the trailer hitch ball. I asked our neighbor what it was and he explained that if the trailer came loose, it would lock up the trailer brakes. I'm glad that I asked.

Other than that, I was kind of uptight about backing in our narrow driveway. On the way home my wife kept harping on it to our neighbor on the phone, "I got it, stop talking about it, you are going to jinx me." I said. I said a little prayer and with her flagging I stuck it right in there the first try. Other than these minor glitches, we had a really fine time. She evn wanted to stay an extra night which we did.

This may not be the right place, but please let me add, you really can't beat Jamaica Beach RV park in Galveston. Super clean and well kept. Cable, wifi, free pool and pool table. an awesome miniature golf course with a pirate theme and horses to rent. My wife has been wanting to ride a horse for so long and it just made her trip. Free newspapers every morning also. The grounds are very well kept and immaculate. It is the only Good Sam recommended RV park on the island. 15 minutes from Walmart and the bars on the seawall. Ron and his wife, the owners are really nice and helpful.

We had a great trip and will always use this park when we go.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #2

Hey, I like you guys that have a lead food!

I frequently shop for newer furniture from wrecked rigs laying around at the scrapyard.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you've got the maiden voyage under your belt now and is should be smooth sailing from here on! I think you'll find friendly RV neighbors willing to help in most places you go.

Watch that Toyota and don't let it run so fast!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sledgehammer,
Congrats on a successful first trip. May many more successful trips be in your future.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you had a good trip. But you need to check your trailer tires. The ST tires on a trailer are speed rated for a maximum of 65 mph.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
80 mph down the Gulf Freeway? I doubt you'll do that often or at least I hope not. Did you think about if your lights weren't hooked up what about your trailer brakes? I wish you safe travels.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Good Luck with the new Rig. One thing we have noticed as we drive around this great Country of ours, is when the tow vehicle is the right one for the 5th wheel or TT they have a habit of going a lot faster then the speed limit. So have a good and safe time with your set-up. Oh, when we were working we had a very heavy foot.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #8

I'm not used to the power of the new truck. I bought a new Toyota Tacoma in 96, it was a 4cylinder 4X4 and not made for speed. 240,000 miles later, I still have it. I almost burnt rubber pulling out of the man's driveway when I test drove the Tundra.

I discovered yesterday that we lost our black/gray water drain hose. There was no end cap and the man that we bought it from just shoved it in there. I'll have to get a new one and a cap. Live and learn.