Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #1

First time out, where to??

Just got our 1997 Winn. Brave. We are hitting the road next month. Where would you go? The weather is getting hotter, so where would be the best place to go first?

In the winter, I think Fla or Az.but what about now?

We are thinking of staying around our surrounding state ( Ar ) right at first, to get to know our RV. We want to make sure everything is OK. Then in about a month head North, maybe around Co. Does this seem like a good plan?

Any advice from you full timers would be welcome. Also, keep in mind, our budget isnt great, but we are use to living simple.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

Not sure what you're experience level is but I'd do a few short trips first to check out the chassis and coach and make sure it's capable of a long trip. Nothing worse than retting far from home and then encountering a mechanical issue and having to rely on a mechanic in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck

Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good morning, and welcome to the site!

We visited Crater of Diamonds SP near Murfreesboro and had a great time looking for diamonds. The CG was renovated recently and has full hook ups. There is also a small water park managed by the park.

Hot Springs was another area we enjoyed, too. Others have recently discussed the Ozarks area, take a look at the camping threads on this site.

We live in Colorado, and can help you folks find a place to camp, but do you have any experience driving the mountain passes? Use the search engine at the top of the page to read other threads concerning this. Then, let us know what type of activities you enjoy, and lots of kind folks will offer you all the advice you can take.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Our first we left south Texas and went to Yellowstone - Beautiful
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #5

Thanks for replies. We love cooking out on grill, fire at nite in the fire rings. Love beautiful scenery and early morning sunrises. We are in our 60s now, and want to slow up and enjoy life. We have been married for 47 years and are best friends who cant live without the other. Still enjoy holding hands and walking the beach or mts. We are both ex-over the road truck drivers. I hope this helps with some good places to go and things to do.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98723A View Post
Thanks for replies. We love cooking out on grill, fire at nite in the fire rings. Love beautiful scenery and early morning sunrises. We are in our 60s now, and want to slow up and enjoy life. We have been married for 47 years and are best friends who cant live without the other. Still enjoy holding hands and walking the beach or mts. We are both ex-over the road truck drivers. I hope this helps with some good places to go and things to do.
I-40 to Amarillo, then up to Raton Pass and I-25 will get you to the southern part of Colorado. Or, I-70 will take you to Denver and the northern parts, and/or in Limon take hwy 24 to Colorado Springs (middle part of the state).

There are 42 state parks, and several nat'l parks in Colorado. Take a look and see what tickles your fancy:

Colorado State Parks – National Parks in Colorado | Colorado.com

We moved from Texas to Colorado back in the 80's just to be closer to our favorite CG's. Now that we are retired, we continue to revisit all of them. There are many national forest CG's and BLM locations if you want to get off of the beaten path, too.

Our favorite commercial CG is in Breckenridge. Tiger Run RV Resort is located in a very touristy area, but has access to some of the best bike trails in the state. And the views are simply amazing. But it is very commercial, and busy, so not for everybody. And, it is rather expensive, so hang on to your wallet! We like to mix it up, and Colorado definitely offers that.

Tiger Run Home Page

There are 3 NF CG's west of Nathrop off of hwy 285, which is just S of Buena Vista. Turn W onto CR 162 and follow the signs towards Mount Princeton Hot Springs, then continue west another 10 minutes or so. You will see the CG's along the left side of the road, separated by a mile or two each. The setting is amazing, Chalk Creek runs behind all of the CG's and Mt. Princeton is to your N, Mt. Antero is to your S, and you will be smack in the middle looking up at both wondering if you have died and gone to heaven. None of these CG's have any hook ups, but there is a general store at the hot springs, and there is nothing like soaking in the hot pools after a day of hiking. Also, if you continue W about 15 minutes, the ghost town of St. Elmo is a great place to walk around.

WARNING, if you are not used to high elevations and/or have breathing difficulties in Arkansas, be sure to take a few days at the lower elevations to acclimate.

Finally, Rocky Mountain NP is a gem all in itself. It is NW of Denver by about 2 hours with traffic, maybe longer on weekends. The town of Estes Park is beautiful, and we stay in the area for 2 weeks at a time.

I have just given you our favorite places in Colorado. We have been to all 42 SP's, and really enjoy most of them. Ridgway SP just S of Montrose, or several hours N of Durango, is probably our favorite SP. Also, Mueller SP is about an hour W of Colorado Springs off Hwy 24 not too far from Cripple Creek and Victor. Soooo much to do here. . . . .

Others from Colorado will give you there favorites, too. Just wait. Holler if you have questions.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Welcome, even as long time RV owners, generally our first trip out of the season is a area close to home. This works as a 'shake down' trip to ensure that everything works as it should and to see what we forgot. By being close to home, it is no big deal if something goes haywire.
Enjoy, be safe and keep us all posted on how you do. Also do not be afraid to ask questions here, as there is a lot of knowledge here. Also we tend to share out 'mis-fortunes' here hopefully to save some one else the learning curve.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

My first time out ... I hit so many low hanging oaks, lol. Nothing broken. But I did have the radio antenna knocked off but it was easy to screw back on with no problem. Thank goodness. First trip was to Garner State Park. One thing I/we learned from this was to get a two way radio which makes it much easier during the back up. I learned not to be so "stupid".
Old 04-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #9

First I'd camp out a couple of times in your driveway. This way you get to use the systems and find things that you need to have. Nothing like being all setup in a camp 200 miles from home and discovering you don't have a can opener
Old 04-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Our first trip is planned for this weekend. We're headed for a state recreation area that's roughly 45 minutes away. To be honest, it's more like an overnight trip to the nearest dump station to finish "de-winterizing" the coach than a "fun" excursion.

The plan is to flush the antifreeze into the holding tanks here at home on Saturday morning ... then fill with the fresh tank with a bleach laden "sanitizing" solution before heading up to dump station later in the day. Once there, we'll dump the holding tanks containing the flushed antifreeze, then immediately fill them with the flushed "sanitizing" solution and dump that, then it will be another "clean water" fill, flush and dump to flush the "sanitizing" solution. Finally, we'll fill the fresh water tank for actual use.

We're hoping that being so early in the season - we'll have the place pretty much to ourselves - and won't be hurried while at the dump station. Afterwards, we're going to treat ourselves to a night in the coach - before heading home early Sunday afternoon.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #11

Once you check out your RV at a local camp ground, I would suggest visiting Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore and Devil's Tower. Maybe even have lunch in Sturgis.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #12

If you live in Arkansas it sounds like you'd enjoy the beautiful state parks there and in neighboring states. Also, the Corps of Engineer parks are wonderful. You're close to Smokey Mtn. Nat'l Park. You have many options to test out your RV before taking it to the western mountains. You'll want to make sure everything is reliable, especially your tires.

It's still too early to head north but when you do, consider Michigan or Wisconsin where it's a little cooler than what you will have. Have fun!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #13

Our first trip out we stayed close by and with full hook-ups so I could make sure everything worked and could familiarize myself with everything especially dumping tanks.
bluie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #14

We did 3 "local" trips (under 3 hours away each) before our first big trip (700 miles to Nashville). I'd saw we're just getting used to the coach as far as driving it and set up routines. I imagine by the end of the summer we'll be ready for anything.