Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #1

First time RV'er needs trip planning help.

Picking our new to us Class C up in Austin, TX. Will be taking it back to Virginia Beach, VA over the course of 4 days. I have Google Mapped it but having never driven that far I have no idea what the best RV friendly route would be.

Google gave me these 3 routes:

I-20 E and I-85 N
1,568 mi, 1 day 1 hour
or
I-40 E
1,568 mi, 1 day 1 hour
or
I-85 N
1,524 mi, 1 day 2 hours

Thanks!!!
AXG1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
if you take the interstate there is no need for you to worry about any low bridges for your class C. just take your time, and if you are not use to driving , then I would recomend to drive 200 to 300 hunderd miles per day, as does wear one out.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #3

as a newbie my self i know what you are up against, bought my class c in Tucson AZ had two days to get it home 1300 miles hard trip, went on vacation this year broke the trip up into two days to go 500 miles much better.
it is a work out driving a mh the traffic, weather and general state of awareness you have to stay in is hard on you.
i found running the interstates as much as possible helps,some times shorter isn't better if road is really hilly, keep your speed at 65 or so and using 15-7 which is being able to look 15 seconds down the road for traffic, or anything that might affect you and stay 7 seconds away from vehicles in front of you in case you need to stop. basically leave lots of room between you and other rigs and you can relax more.
avoid hilly roads if possible, made this mistake and if not just take your time because you aren't going any where fast, but we love our mh having all your stuff with you and not staying in hotels is more then worth the learning curve.

happy rving frank,cricket and harley
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Use the interstates and determine the number of hours you want to drive and multiply by 60 mph. Allow some time for stops and you now have how far you will be and can look for a CG around there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Does the 4 days include your PDI? Check everything out before you hit the road. I have driven I 40 From Barstow Ca to North Carolina. For the most part it is good. Try to avoid the larger cities during commute hours. Enjoy your M/H.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have used most of all three routes, Returning to atlanta from out west. All are good routes, with some potholes. Just be careful of alligators.(Truck tire retreads) They can do a number on your motorhome.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
Does the 4 days include your PDI? Check everything out before you hit the road. I have driven I 40 From Barstow Ca to North Carolina. For the most part it is good. Try to avoid the larger cities during commute hours. Enjoy your M/H.
The PDI is the day before so we have 4 full days to get back.
Thanks for the tip.
AXG1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
AXG1040

As a former over the Road truck driver

Swamphog has provided you some great information for driving your MoHo home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphog View Post
if you take the interstate there is no need for you to worry about any low bridges for your class C. just take your time, and if you are not use to driving , then I would recomend to drive 200 to 300 hunderd miles per day, as does wear one out.
Until you get used to driving your MoHo you will be exhausted at the end of the day driving. Not physically but mentally.

For your 1st trip try to keep your driving hours to daylight hours.

Always remember it's a MoHo not a sports car.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
AXG1040:

You have received good advice from forum members. For your first trip in your new MH the interstate is the route to go. Would suggest that you pick up a copy of the 2011 Good Sams Trailer Life RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory, as it provides you with much needed RV Parks and Campground information along your travel route. Also, suggest that you pick up a good 2011 Road Atlas and a good GPS of your choice. Happy trails and enjoy!

Charles G.
Charles G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #10

I lived in Cedar Park for several years, drove to Richmond many times. I HATE I-40 and I-30 to get there.

Take this route and enjoy the trip.

I-20 to Atanata, go thru town, not around. Then take I-85 up to the I-95 split in Midlothian /Chester area and the new road east to Va Bch.

No hills, plenty of places to stop, no hassels.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I would drive 200 miles further to stay off IH 40 particularly from the Little Rock to Memphis strecth. I don't know how bad east bound is but west bound is bad enough it made me slow to 40 mph and stuff was still falling off the walls. This was last summer and maybe the shovels weren't ready for that area.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Several good points made already. CharlesG was right on target about getting a Trailer Life Campground directory. You can get them at almost any bookstore locally. That way you will know what campgrounds are around you at any point when you get tired. Also tells you if the campground has pull-through sites (great for beginners). Good point made about driving during daylight only since it is your first long trip. You can see road hazards much better and it is much easier in the daylight when pulling into a campground. Just don't try to go too far in one day and you will be fine. Get too tired and you can easily make a big boo-boo (miscalculate leaving a fueling station and wipe out a rear panel is not good)
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally i would make a day or two close to where you pick up the RV to make sure everything is working before I hit the road for a longer trip.

As for interstates, I would stay off of I-35 between Austin and Fort Worth. That highway has too many idiots and trucks on it to be safe. The state roads in Texas are pretty good and I would cut across country to Texarkana to pick up I-20.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #14

Let your body tell you when to stop. The concentration required to drive a motor home is much more than driving a car. On an expressway, you will be dealing with idiots merging while on their cell phone or putting on their eye makeup. It is very hard for you to accelerate to let them in. When you floor it, it sounds different, but doesn't really speed up that much. Don't be afraid to use your horn for getting the attention of merging traffic. Be very careful of the concrete barriers (go slow). Stopping and resting for 20 minutes or so can get you another hour. If you have a smart phone, get the Allstays campground app and have your navigator/ spouse learn how to use it. Leave fairly early and stop early.