Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #1

First timer looking for a little help

Hello,
Im looking at buying my first motorhome.
Found a 2008 year model Fiesta 34N. Has under 2,000 miles on it.
Was told the chassis is 2007 and the rest is a 2008.

The history is the guy basically purchased it for when they have to evacuate for big storms such as hurricanes. we are on the cost here in Texas. it was kept in a barn its entire life and driven to the local dealer for service to keep up with warrantee. Believe it or not he just traded it in for a new one to do the same thing with. And its the same dealer he purchases it at.

The Coach is in really nice shape. you can tell nothing has really ever been modified or changed. Even still has the septic starter hose setup still in the box that it came with.

I have not yet totally gone through everything but plan too tomorrow evening at the dealer.

My concerns are how bad should i be worried about the low milage and use over all these years? And any hints on what to look for?
Its pretty much what we are looking for with the bunks and all for the kids.
Dealers first price is 46,500

And its a Ford V10 model.

Thanks for the info in advance....
solm96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #2

If the price isn't way over high retail book price, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
If the price isn't way over high retail book price, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the response.
I believe it's priced below low retail.
It's a quick easy flip for the dealer.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #4

Do you have access to the maintenance records? I would be looking them over real close. Have the tries ever been replaced or are they the ones that it came with? What is the status of the generator? I would have it checked out to include load testing and for correct output. What is the condition of the batteries? Will they need to be replaced before too much longer. I would also be looking at all of the fluids and filters.
Otherwise I would not be afraid of buying this one.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Have it inspected by a competent RV inspector as a condition of purchase. Systems that sit idle that long have a tendency to develop problems. Lots of problems. Performing mechanical maintenance on the engine and chassis is great, but on the house side there are also seals, and sealants, and connectors, and a host of other things that age out and dry out when not used--even if they look fabulous. Low mileage on an automobile is one thing, but on an RV it is something else entirely. For example, generators that are not run every month under load tend to have serious problems. So do water lines. If the seller planned on using the RV as an emergency evacuation vehicle, his needs are quilte different from someone who plans to use the RV more thoroughly.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

I was going to see what the dealer could dig up tomorrow on records. The tires look goo without dry rot but they are Goodyear. Seams most ppl go with Michelin when they change them. I also plan to go through all the fluids and generator.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by solm96 View Post
Hello,
Im looking at buying my first motorhome.
Found a 2008 year model Fiesta 34N. Has under 2,000 miles on it.
Was told the chassis is 2007 and the rest is a 2008.

The history is the guy basically purchased it for when they have to evacuate for big storms such as hurricanes. we are on the cost here in Texas. it was kept in a barn its entire life and driven to the local dealer for service to keep up with warrantee. Believe it or not he just traded it in for a new one to do the same thing with. And its the same dealer he purchases it at.

The Coach is in really nice shape. you can tell nothing has really ever been modified or changed. Even still has the septic starter hose setup still in the box that it came with.

I have not yet totally gone through everything but plan too tomorrow evening at the dealer.

My concerns are how bad should i be worried about the low milage and use over all these years? And any hints on what to look for?
Its pretty much what we are looking for with the bunks and all for the kids.
Dealers first price is 46,500

And its a Ford V10 model.

Thanks for the info in advance....
1. If in a barn for most of 9 years I would examine the RV very carefully for rodent damage, be sure to remove the doghouse and look at the top of the V10 for rodent evidence and damage.

2. The awning may be end of life even if its sat rolled up out of the sun almost all that time.

3. There may be wasps nests in rooftop AC, furnace, hot water heater. In particular wasps nests in the furnace can totally wreck it.

I would negotiate the dealer replacing all the batteries and tires into the deal. No matter how much tread is on the tires they are end of life or past end of life, chances are they are 2006 date code tires, 10 years old. Guidelines are to replace tires after 8 years no matter how much tread is left on them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #8

Thanks, that is the stuff I'm worried about.
Will be looking for someone to die an inspection when I feel like I'm definely going to purchase it.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #9

Another thing is this is the first one I've looked at that didn't have a Inverter and separate battery setup on it.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would do my due diligence inspecting the coach, outside and inside. That being said, I think that is a fair price, but if you are satisfied low ball him another $10,000 and then negotiate up from there.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
So the deal is, something is wrong with the AC units, the tires are original 2007, the Generator needs new fuel pump, and it's got a rubber roof.
With that being said I've moved on to the first coach I looked at.
It's a 2004 Holiday Rambler SE on the Workhourse chassis. Has 32,000 miles.

My next question is who's the best to use for road side assitance and maybe even a warrantee of some sort?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice everyone.
So the deal is, something is wrong with the AC units, the tires are original 2007, the Generator needs new fuel pump, and it's got a rubber roof.
With that being said I've moved on to the first coach I looked at.
It's a 2004 Holiday Rambler SE on the Workhourse chassis. Has 32,000 miles.

My next question is who's the best to use for road side assitance and maybe even a warrantee of some sort?
Road side assistance is going to be a bit subjective. We all have our favorites and its probably the organization we are currently with. My recommendation is to go with a service that focuses on RV's and understands that you can't send out the normal everyday tow truck for a disabled 20,000 pound motor home.

Warrantees are going to be expensive on a 12 year old coach. Think of life insurance. Real cheep when your 20 (or the coach is new) but when your 70 they get real expensive. A warrantee is about the same. Higher risk with an older coach. The dealer should have access to sellers plus there are a bunch you can work with directly rather than thru the dealer. Anything is available from bumper-bumper to just the engine/transmission.

Good luck.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
I was going to see what the dealer could dig up tomorrow on records. The tires look goo without dry rot but they are Goodyear. Seams most ppl go with Michelin when they change them. I also plan to go through all the fluids and generator.
solm96
I suggest you Google "michelin side wall cracks" BEFORE you purchase tires.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
solm96
I suggest you Google "michelin side wall cracks" BEFORE you purchase tires.
Mel
'96 Safari
This one has new tires