Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
First Trip for Brand New RV

We bought out Jayco Greyhawk in November, intending to go for a couple of weekends at a local campground. The weather had other ideas. We had planned a trip to TX (from OH) in March, but I'm not sure we will get out for a couple of days before that, especially the way the winter is going. How far would YOU be comfortable with for a first trip out with a brand new unit ?

renman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
We will also be taking an OH to TX trip since my Dad lives in Houston. Not sure if we will do it this year or next.

What kind of RV is it? New to you or brand new?

If it's brand new I would take a couple of shorter trips to work the bugs out. However, if you are a DIY'er I'd say go as far as your wallet can handle.

USAF Veteran
2014 Forest River Georgetown 351DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At a minimum I would do a couple of days of "driveway camping" to make sure all the systems are working as designed and that we have all the necessities on board. As long as the house systems are working (slides, appliances, furnace, water pump) I would feel confident in heading out.

Are you new to RVing or have you had other RVs? If you've had previous RVs you know pretty much what the basics are (hookups, dumping, etc.) Good luck and have fun.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Our first over-night in the MH was in the back yard. It is a wonderful thing to be able to run back into the house to fetch an overlooked item. We spent two nights, back-to-back, just to make sure we had a list of things we would take with us from the house and a list of things we needed to buy for the MH. Even now, before the first long trip (+100 miles 1-way), we spend a night in the MH to remind us what we've taken back inside over the winter and need to put back in the MH.

Our first "long" trip was from outside Atlanta GA (home) to Columbia SC for a weekend visit with friends and a little sight seeing (we used to live there). It was a great "toe-in-th-water" trip and intruduced me to driving the MH (35'+tow-dolly&car) and navigating in an RV park and unload & reload the toad.

SO: Overnight in the yard & a short trip

"Always take free advise for what its worth" - me
J.J. Hayden (KN4SH)
Covington, GA
2005 National Dolphin 5342
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
We bought a new 5th wheel November 15 and tried it out the first night bring it home. That is the only time we have used it. Ready for camping season to start. Can't hardly wait to use it again.
One or two nights practice would be nice.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I always check all systems prior to leaving on any trip, stuff just happens, and I don't like surprises.

I personally would follow the advice of others and stay a couple of days close to home, no pressure, just get to know your unit.

We have been at this for several years and prior to leaving the area for the summer, we stay at a local campground for several days to "Sort things out" prior to traveling several thousand miles from home.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
We go thru the MH after the cover is removed and it's warm enough to de-winterize, then we make a "make sure everything works " trip to a campground about 30 miles from home as we make our first big trip at the end of April. Again this year it's down to see the mouse at Fort Wilderness.
2007 Allegro 34wa .WH w20 8.1 6speed. Bow tie powered 79 CJ7 or a 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad.
jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driveway Camping is a good idea. One night hooked up to 120v. One night on batteries/inverter/generator if you have this.
2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
But if your in Ohio (like me) since Nov. it has been well below normal....week after week of cold weather...Went out X-C skiing today and pretended I was on a hike, then realized it was 10 degrees outside. But the sun felt good....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, I personally would not go any further than the local campgrounds until you know that everything is working correctly and you figure out how to use it! JMHO!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would stick close to ho e until you're comfortable with the systems you have onboard and making sure they are working. Good luck and hope you enjoy your future travels as I'm sure you will.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Although my wife and I camped for years in our travel trailer and 5th wheel the coach is not the same. Our first trip in the brand new coach was 1 hour from home for 3 days. This gave us to test all systems and create the punch out list. The next trip will be like the first as the coach will have been covered for the winter and I will treat it like the first time you put the boat back in the water. You don't want to forget to put the plug in or you will sink!
Cannot wait till I retire Feb 2016. Planning on long, slow, enjoyable trips from that point out!
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Enjoy your new RV and your retirement
Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #14
We were totally new to RVs and took our first trip over 400 miles from Kansas City to Hot Springs, AR! A year later in hindsight not a good idea! We were so excited and wanted to go closer to home but the weather did not cooperate. My DH had already driven the new RV from Dallas to KC so he was not phased by the idea. I guess buying in January and cabin fever got the best of us but it came out ok! Enjoy!

Bobcat12 is offline   Reply With Quote