Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
First voyage in MH

We just returned from our first voyage in our new (to us) 1996 Damon MH. The cost of the trip that included gas and food plus some odds and ends came too $703.69. This trip was to visit my daughter and grand kids. Staying in a motel runs us an average around $1400 for the same two weeks.

We are happy campers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great!

Cost notwithstanding, we prefer to travel with the Motorhome. No lugging stuff in and out of a motel/hotel, have all our own stuff with us, etc.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plus staying in your own rolling motel, rather than a S & B one. Is not only cheaper. The view is probably better, than looking at a blacktop parking lot full of cars. And the main reason I don't like motels. I know how clean my rolling motel is.
For sure I prefer my MH over any motel. Love being in the MH.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
We just returned from our first voyage in our new (to us) 1996 Damon MH. The cost of the trip that included gas and food plus some odds and ends came too $703.69. This trip was to visit my daughter and grand kids. Staying in a motel runs us an average around $1400 for the same two weeks.

We are happy campers

Glad you had a great trouble free first trip. If you keep a close eye on ALL systems while on-the-road & a careful inspection & prudent maintenance, you should have many more. But remember, things can and WILL break!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Gotta love that! I don't know about everybody else ... but nothing takes the sting out of a $300+ fuel fillup than the knowledge that I'm more than covering the additional fuel costs with savings elsewhere!

Over and above the pure dollars and cents .... we find that the best part of visiting family and friends in the coach is that we get to hang with folks we don't see often - without it being a huge upset to their day to day lives ... or ours. Being able to live in your own space while travelling is a luxury that's hard to fully appreciate until you try it!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Glad you had a great trouble free first trip. If you keep a close eye on ALL systems while on-the-road & a careful inspection & prudent maintenance, you should have many more. But remember, things can and WILL break
One of the first things I did when getting it home was to take it into a local truck shop that does chassis repair on MH's. After inspection two lower ball joints and front alignment along with two steer tires was all it needed. bill was $1040.00. I had already gone over the front end and the work needed was not a surprise. I have been restoring cars most of my life. I had a few small issues arise but brought along my trusty tool box and a role of duct tape.

Was a much better view then the motels and they let me have a fire to sit around and play my guitar. For entertainment we watched those with TT's and 5ers trying to park and step up and level. (I still own a TT) I can level this MH without leaving the driver seat. That alone was worth having the MH vs the TT. It cost a little more to maintain but worth every penny.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well put SpaceNorman.
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
Bill----WWJU
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
One of the first things I did when getting it home was to take it into a local truck shop that does chassis repair on MH's. After inspection two lower ball joints and front alignment along with two steer tires was all it needed. bill was $1040.00. I had already gone over the front end and the work needed was not a surprise. I have been restoring cars most of my life. I had a few small issues arise but brought along my trusty tool box and a role of duct tape.

Was a much better view then the motels and they let me have a fire to sit around and play my guitar. For entertainment we watched those with TT's and 5ers trying to park and step up and level. (I still own a TT) I can level this MH without leaving the driver seat. That alone was worth having the MH vs the TT. It cost a little more to maintain but worth every penny.

You are the MAN! 😎

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

We are happy campers
Lifemember, congrats on the (new to you) 1996 Damon!
Comparing the cost of a Hotel/Motel room vs a Motorhome is not a comparison at all... The MH trip will always be less $$ AND more fun!
sikorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikorge View Post
Lifemember, congrats on the (new to you) 1996 Damon!
Comparing the cost of a Hotel/Motel room vs a Motorhome is not a comparison at all... The MH trip will always be less $$ AND more fun!
One of the first things I was questioned about was the price of gas and how many miles does it get. My reply is; not near as much as a motel room is every night plus pay for gas in the car to get there. I know the sheets are changed and who slept on them. My BH (better half) told me going to the bathroom is an experience in the MH. But loves that it is handy.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE= I know the sheets are changed and who slept on them.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #12

First voyage in MH

I've posted this before. BUT in the motel I don't know who had sex in that bed last night !!! In my motor home at least I know who DIDNT. Have sex in it last night !!!

Not sure RV any cheaper on the long term by much more enjoyable way to travel.

Russell
Old 07-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce C,
I'm reminded of the true story (from the ID channel) of a murder investigation that happened in a local motel. This was not a rent by the hour room either. It may not have been a high priced motel but still not what you'd think. As part of the investigation they did the forensics on the bed sheets. There were over 100 different samples of body fluids on those sheets. Even the investigators were SHOCKED to say the least.

I had to show the DW that episode. Here eyes got as big as saucers when they talked about the sheets. I'm sure that's not an every day occurrence but.

That kind of puts things into perspective when talking about knowing that the sheets are clean or at least who, or how many slept in them last night. We'll take the MH any time.

As a diabetic for 30+ years (insulin pump for the last 20) almost every time we eat out my BG (blood glucose) goes crazy. Knowing exactly what restaurants use to flavor their food is still a mystery and scary. MH meals are much safer and healthier. We eat at least two meals a day in the MH and most often three.

TeJay
Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Bruce C,
As a diabetic for 30+ years (insulin pump for the last 20) almost every time we eat out my BG (blood glucose) goes crazy. Knowing exactly what restaurants use to flavor their food is still a mystery and scary. MH meals are much safer and healthier. We eat at least two meals a day in the MH and most often three.

TeJay
Diabetic here also, still controlled by pills and would like to keep it that way. I do not eat out much anymore for the reason you have mentioned. Having the meals fixed in the MH and knowing what I am eating is a priceless feature, or convenience of the MH. I eat small meals to help control the BG levels over the course of the day. With the MH I do not have to go long periods between meals and spiking the BG levels.

Tags
voyage