Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #29

Oh and earplugs, earplugs, earplugs.....
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #30

I have always considered the 24 hour stores a bit more secure, but the trade-off is more noise in the late evening/early morning.

I have learned to survey the lot before picking a spot. Sometimes I get lucky and find a space away from the store and can put out the slide without bothering anyone.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:44 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
We appreciate the Wallyworld campgrounds and will also overnight at malls, Targets and other parking lots where we are not in the way. Never have had an issue with truckers, but earlier this summer parked not far away from a 5th wheel who thought he needed to run the cheap, noisy construction generator mounted on his rear bumper. And we've been caught twice by parking lot sweeper/vac trucks. Doing their thing.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #32

My preference when possible is to back in over the curb like this, at just under 30 ft bumper to bumper and a 178 inch wheel base it leaves the nose sticking out no more than a large pickup truck does. The attached photo was from a museum parking lot, not a big box store, but lot layout was similar, though parking spaces may have been painted a little narrower and shorter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backed-in-trek.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	176051  
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #33

It's all a learning experience. I plan on doing a lot of parking lot docking over the coming years when I route to a destination. I hope and expect most of them to be uneventful. This one would have been except for the loud truck. In the future I will apply a little more "strategory" in picking my spot in the parking lot.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

we stay at Wally World exclusively. Now I don't call this camping as we do not camp. I hate stay someplace in the wood doing nothing and think paying them to sleep for 8 hours is a ripoff. Hence , Walley's place.

Now not every stay over has been perfect!!! Loud South Carolina pickup Trucks zooming into the lot. Should have picked a less used lane. My Fault.
Kids congregating there on a Friday night. They left by the time I went to sleep.
The large sweeper vac at 330 am WOW - the first time I didn't know what it was but now I expect it and keep sleeping. NO worse than the train whistle we had to endure at a camp ground near the track in Florida one time.

We had one experience with a pickup truck with a work trailer parked near us in Georgia. Everything was fine until he came back from diner and opened up the back of the trailer to pull out and chained to the axle his contractors 8 HP generator. He then went to sleep in the trailer with the generator running. We MOved Far to the other side of he lot.

I also have tried rest areas and truck stops but they are just to busy and very noisy. Between the passing traffic and constant movement of trucks it is just very difficult to sleep - back to Uncle Wally.

The ultimate was in Virginia walmart where a trucker back up next to us at 1AM, in a parking lot that was empty except for me and there were at least 30 other places to park. Beep - Beep Beep Beep went the back alarm. After a bit he turn off the engine. BUT after a few minutes he started it up again - I guess to keep his air running. It was hot. AFter one hour I had enough and started my engine, did my safety check, Lots of air noises, ran a fast idle to warm the engine and as I left blew my air horns. I kept driving fo the next four hours to get to New Jersey at 5 am.

Some how I was kind of glad he did that because I had no traffic and made excellent time. Next time a truck parks next to me I run my generator. It is louder that his truck inside the MH but I can sleep though my OWN NOISE. How does that happen????? It like sleeping with the TV on all night. Do that a lot. Guess I just don't like other people noise. hahahahahaha

Since we know were the best layover walley are now we only stay at them on our travel up and down the east coast.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Sounds like an awful lot of bother just to save a few bucks.
x2 Not worth it to me.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Camping at Wally World is fine if you can: 1. put up with your neighbors, as in trucks or campers running their contractor gen sets all night long. 2. Find a spot with relatively level asphalt. 3. Away from those who think they are in a campground with their awnings out and bbq's running over. 4. hidden from the area where the "night crowd" chooses to congregate at 2:00am.

The simple reality, none of the above bothers me, so, when the situation presents itself, I spend the night and wonder how the rest of the RV'ers are doing in their paid for campground site are doing.
The rest of us....are doing just fine in our safe, peaceful, and quiet paid for campground site.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
Sounds like an awful lot of bother just to save a few bucks.
It's NOT matter of "saving a few bucks" I can easily affrord to pay for a site. It's a matter of convenience, since we traveled long and hard. Got in late and left early didn't need the swimming pool, sauna, washing machines, dryers etc. Paid many $1,000's for a fully self contained rig so I didn't have to have hookups.
Besides a stop at WallyWorld can be expensive if you go in shopping and find a sit down restaurant close by.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
They ain't a RV park in every town > but most got a wally world !! to own his each !
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
We have used wally mart for quick over night stays. They are never free for me. I always find something I need in that store.
We have had some noisy nights but more quiet ones by far.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #40

Cabella's is my choice if I can find them....have rv specific parking and dumps if I need it!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #41

Cabela's is great.
I agree.

We also like Steak n Shake.

Open 24*7

Most welcome us.

Sometimes a Classic Cheeseburger and fries at 2 am. Hits the spot

Seldom if ever another rv or truck overnighting.

Yes

We Always visit with the night manager for permission. 😎
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #42

Rating wall Mart parking.

Sparta Tennessee is #1
Experience for us.
On 111 South of Cookville.

We usually pass that way a few times each year.

I find the comment about rednecks quite interesting. 🤔

One thing certain

With them cruising the parking lot.

You need not bother locking anything up.

They are your protectors.

And they, more than any group.

Appreciate the investment and hard work it takes to maintain a nice rig.Or vehicle.

And many, or most are first responder's and fire department volunteer's
In small communities through out the South.

Thank God for Rednecks.😎🤗
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote