Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz57 View Post
I can't speak for the US as I work at a refinery in Canada. By and large, a lot of the statements above are pure BS. 3 trucks load gas at ANY refinery in Can. all 3 will have a "top tier" additive package but they MIGHT be all different. Each customer(NOT STATION but customer) chooses their additive package and that is added when the truck loads. ALL gas has a base package and then the magic elixer that a customer wants is added. NO there are not infinate packages available. The average is 3. Now the difference between regular and mid or super, that is huge! Super has double and a bit more of the total additives added to regular as the norm for ALL customers with the only exception that some (very few) places that sell premium have NO ethanol added at all. Ethanol added gas CANNOT be shipped by pipeline period.
Are their differences between the big refiners? Absolutely as no refinery refines the same way nor uses the same crudes. So their IS a difference in fuels but its because of the refining process. IN CANADA but mostly same in the states
Good info. Thanks,

Some more:

"Top Tier is a performance standard, establishing tests and minimum acceptable results for intake-valve and combustion-chamber deposits, fuel-injector fouling, and intake-valve sticking. It also requires that all fuel grades marketed by the brand meet the standard (not just the premium grade, for example). Additive manufacturers pay for the testing, fuel suppliers pay an annual fee to participate, and compliance testing is conducted by third-party labs. "
All Fuels Are Not Created Equal - Technologue - Motor Trend
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #16

If you put premium or mid grade in a vehicle rate for regular octane you are wasting your money.

Ethanol does more harm to a fuel system than good, especially in humid climates.

Read the owners manual and follow, there is a reason they have one.

Finally, unless there is an individual refiner for each brand in the area, the likelihood you are getting that brand's gas is next to nil. They will all buy from the supplier (closes refinery). If there are several refineries it is based on $$$ (money).
emuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuller1 View Post

Finally, unless there is an individual refiner for each brand in the area, the likelihood you are getting that brand's gas is next to nil. They will all buy from the supplier (closes refinery). If there are several refineries it is based on $$$ (money).
"refiner for each brand in the area" - not the way it works - see link

“It is true in that gasoline is a fungible commodity,” said Day whose company owns and operates almost 1,000 branded stations in the US. “But there are certain detergent packages, added at the end, that make it brand specific. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that the gasoline that is for sale at a branded station was made by that refinery.”

Unbranded vs. branded gasoline: Is there a difference? - The Barrel Blog
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #18

My wife buys what ever is cheapest. My insurance is adding a bottle of Chevron Techron additive about every 90 days. I've tried them all and it's the only one that works for me.
I just purchased a 2004 wrangler 51,000 miles. Looks like new. Never off-roaded or anything. But the old man used cheap gas and it idled a little rough. I added two bottles of the additive and within that tank it now runs perfect.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
My wife buys what ever is cheapest. My insurance is adding a bottle of Chevron Techron additive about every 90 days. I've tried them all and it's the only one that works for me.
I just purchased a 2004 wrangler 51,000 miles. Looks like new. Never off-roaded or anything. But the old man used cheap gas and it idled a little rough. I added two bottles of the additive and within that tank it now runs perfect.
Look for a brand with the highest polybutene amine (PBA) - that is the ingredient that does the work.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuller1 View Post

Ethanol does more harm to a fuel system than good, especially in humid climates.
LOL Been working just fine here in Iowa since the 80s, but maybe it is just not humid enough here in the summer.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #21

Well Gang,
I guess I'm just one of those that plain and simple, just don't care about all that "top tier" stuff. I'm 64 and have been driving and buying gas, for 45-50 years. And, I've usually purchased at the cheapest places I can find. It's my money and it's hard earned so, I stretch it as far as I can. Now, as for any effects of using "cheaper" or, maybe not the top tier stuff and or, any particular blend of gas, in all my cars, trucks, motorhomes, motorcycles, boats, weed wackers, gas blowers, and more, well, I can't really say there's been any abnormal effects.

I also have used regular unleaded in everything, for that same amount of time. About 99.999% of that time, it's 87 octane. But, when on trips from CA to UT for Jeep events, we used 85 octane with absolutely no effects/pinging, issues etc. what so ever.

The truck we have now is an '11 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 Extended Cab Z-85. It has stickers and nomenclature on the side that say: FLEXFUEL on the tail gate. I'm assuming it means we can use E-85 in it. We've owned it now for about 5 years and, never have put anything in it but, either 87 or 85 octane. That engine runs like a top. We get around 15-18 combo driving although it's listed in the stickers and fueleconomy.gov as supposed to be getting 16-20. Never have seen 20.

Anyway, I guess worrying about this "top tier" stuff or, detergents etc. is just not on my priority list.
Scott

P.S. In relation to the OPs topic, the term "Fitting in" most certainly plays a top priority role. We're driving a 36' coach, towing another 25' worth of truck so, fitting in/around/behind etc., is of great concern. I've only had to disconnect one time due to reasons beyond my control so, fitting in and, price are my concerns.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I really appreciate threads like this. As usual there are some folks who really know their stuff.

I am extremely fussy about the fuel I put in my MH even if it is diesel. While I'm indifferent about the fuel I put in my lawnmower I'm absolutely OCD about the stuff I put in my motorcycle. Any old fuel will likely work when its 60F at 50% humidity at 45mph sea level. At 7500 rpm i want my 4 valve, 12.5/1 compression motorcycle to behave perfectly. I spent good money to buy a MC with exotic performance and i want it to operate as designed. That means minding what type of fuel goes in it. One of the most difficult regimes for operating gasoline engines is towing heavy loads up hills. Anti knock sensors can mask fuel related issues by dialing back advance, so you get the performance you paid for in your gas but not your engine.

As an aside, airlines are buy their fuel based on BTU content, which means it is temperature compensated and weighs more per gallon. 6.4-6.9lbs per gallon.

Do the Top Tier gasolines have any better BTU content? What is the range of fuel density for Top Tier vs other, or is the stock the same? .....and the difference is in the additive package only?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
.....and the difference is in the additive package only?
Yes ... that's all you need to know.

You can look at some of the other links in this thread for more detailed info.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #24

so if you don't pay to belong to TOP TIER Licensing Program you are not on the list. hmm
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
so if you don't pay to belong to TOP TIER Licensing Program you are not on the list. hmm
It is a licensing, testing, additive standards commitment.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:29 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put the cheapest fuel I can buy in my Ford V-10 and it runs the same with any brand. Here in the east all the regular is 87 octane but when we went tu Yuma last year I think some was 86 and it made no difference.

I have learned the hardway that fuel with ethanol is not good in my chain saw that sits for months at a time between uses After about $60 repairs eac year I am buying fuel by the quart from the hardare store that is premixed unleaded with no ethanol. Heck it is only abot $5, per qt

I do start my generator and 'exercise' it every 2 weeks because of the ethanol in the fuel I buy.

When we had our fiver and pulled with a Duramax I did notice a mileage difference when the diesel had B-10 (bio diesel?) in it and it was a few cents per gal less so I did buy my diesel from Shell stations that did not have B-10 in it but the price was always a few cents more than Hess, Pilot or Flying J
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas