Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #1

Fitting in should not be your only criteria for choosing a gas station.

Flying J, Pilot, Love's not on the list.

"The intention of the TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers. Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness."

Retailers
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post

"The intention of the TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline standards is to create a winning situation for gasoline retailers, auto manufacturers and drivers. Currently, many gasoline retailers provide fuels with lower-quality additive packages that can build up deposits on fuel injectors and on intake valves. Others can build up deposits in combustion chambers and may lead to intake valve sticking. These lower levels of additives can have negative impacts on engine performance and vehicle responsiveness."

Retailers
That is why I always make sure to buy gasoline with ethanol added. It keeps my engine running clean, cool, and smooth.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

the biggest issue with deposits on valves. are leaking valve seals.

but then, some oil MUST leak past seals.. how else will the valve guides get OIL.?

Think about it!!!.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The owners manual for my 8.1 Workhorse doesn't mention Top Tier, just 87 octane unleaded gasoline.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For years I would not buy gas at Costco for just this reason but in the past year they have finally converted all their stations to top tier. I notice the difference in fuel mileage which pays for the increased price.YMMV.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #6

You mention truck stops, where diesel fuel is their primary fuel sale, and then go on to list a discussion of gasoline. Top Tier is a trademarked detergent used in gasoline, not diesel.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Hammer View Post
the biggest issue with deposits on valves. are leaking valve seals.

but then, some oil MUST leak past seals.. how else will the valve guides get OIL.?

Think about it!!!.
I'm not sure that seal blowby is part of the lubrication plan for any automotive engine. I think I'm positive it is not.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The sad reality is that most stations including the ones that tote top tier get their gas from universal tanker trucks that deliver to all stations. When one refinery shuts down they get their gas from what ever refinery that they can load from.

I had a neighbor that said he would not use anything but Esso gas because his vehicles ran much better and got better mileage.
I never told him that I fueled that station many times with Chevron or Petro Can gas. Top Tier Eh!!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
The sad reality is that most stations including the ones that tote top tier get their gas from universal tanker trucks that deliver to all stations. When one refinery shuts down they get their gas from what ever refinery that they can load from.

I had a neighbor that said he would not use anything but Esso gas because his vehicles ran much better and got better mileage.
I never told him that I fueled that station many times with Chevron or Petro Can gas. Top Tier Eh!!
Here's the mind bender: if the refinery is meeting Top Tier™ specs, and the fuel station is selling Top Tier™ gas, they can't advertise it unless they are willing to pay the licensing fee, and that's assuming they are willing to pay to have the fuel tested. You could be buying Top Tier™ gas and not know it.

On a side note: there were three gas stations by my shop back in Va.; they were all fueled up by the same truck from Eagle.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

The top tier gas is kind of like buying green energy thru the local power company. How do you know ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #11

I can't speak for the US as I work at a refinery in Canada. By and large, a lot of the statements above are pure BS. 3 trucks load gas at ANY refinery in Can. all 3 will have a "top tier" additive package but they MIGHT be all different. Each customer(NOT STATION but customer) chooses their additive package and that is added when the truck loads. ALL gas has a base package and then the magic elixer that a customer wants is added. NO there are not infinate packages available. The average is 3. Now the difference between regular and mid or super, that is huge! Super has double and a bit more of the total additives added to regular as the norm for ALL customers with the only exception that some (very few) places that sell premium have NO ethanol added at all. Ethanol added gas CANNOT be shipped by pipeline period.
Are their differences between the big refiners? Absolutely as no refinery refines the same way nor uses the same crudes. So their IS a difference in fuels but its because of the refining process. IN CANADA but mostly same in the states
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post

Retailers
Murphys, normally at WalMarts, is not on your website list, but I get better mileage from it than I do from any other station in town. DW's Jeep had 174K miles on it and never did have a fuel system problem,until she refueled at a Shell station once.
The local school system also refuels at that same Murphy's, it is always fresh, clean fuel.
We do understand truck stops sell gasoline and diesel fuel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery

Gas all comes from the same pipeline. Please continue to waste your money by buying from middle east expensive stations.
2 million miles now with NO problems buying from CHEAPEST Gas Buddy stations.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Gas all comes from the same pipeline. Please continue to waste your money by buying from middle east expensive stations.
2 million miles now with NO problems buying from CHEAPEST Gas Buddy stations.
You are confusing top tier gas with higher priced gas.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas