Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #1

Fiver -> DP

Those that have made the switch - what was your experience, good, bad, or indifferent? I'm looking really hard at moving to a DP, but struggling with floorplans. I want the convenience and cargo capacity of a tag axle DP, the convenience and utility of a smaller 4x4 toad, and the tank capacities that a DP offers. Also the heat and unlimited hot water that the Aquahot/Oasis provides. I have yet to find a wonderful floorplan in a DP. Is the trade off worth it?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 AM   #2

Although we moved from a 5’er to a 35’ DP, we have enjoyed the change up. We did look at lots and lots of floor plans, found the floor plan we liked, then it took over 6 months to find the right one. We will not go back to a trailer. Nothing wrong with trailers, just that the DP fits our needs very very well.

Keep searching.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Our last 5er was a toy hauler. We loved the patio on the loading ramp.

Now we have a 45 foot DP. We are just as happy (if not, happier) in the coach.

It seems much faster to set up once we arrive. We tow a Jeep Wrangler, that is much nicer to drive around town than the F350 dually was.

I can't see us going back to a 5er if we decide to get something newer.

-
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:51 AM   #4

I would first identify a manufacturer that I had confidence in then see what floor plans would be workable. Some people focus solely on floor plan in their decision but if you have that nicest plan in a "house" with no support, you will hate it and your decision. For me that means any plan that has Thor attached to it as something to avoid. While every manufacturer uses similar appliances, the house around them is built to different standards. Also important is that some manufacturers disappear after the sale and provide no factory support. For motorhomes, Winnebago has available to the public wiring, plumbing, installation diagrams online. And you can order a part directly from Winnebago sent direct to you. Try that with the others.

Don't be afraid to go back a few years to find what works for you but shop carefully. If simplicity is important a pre-2008 Freightliner chassis with NO DEF or DPF is nice. Look at the coach with the slides in. Can you get to the back or important areas like the kitchen or bath while driving or stopped for lunch? Where is the TV. Most people watch a lot so can you view the TV without bending your neck. Over the windshield is a terrible location for a TV in my opinion.

Spend time on the motorhome section of this and other forums and look at the specific owner's forums and comments. Be aware some people will defend to the end their poor decisions so filter comments carefully. If you do decide to go the motorhome route decide how you will use it. If you expect to make 2 trips a year and sit for months in between, a gas chassis might work. If your'e going to drive a lot, a diesel DP is a more comfortable ride and drive. Enjoy the search.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #5

Thanks for the insight. Been researching for a bit, and looking back as old as 2006. We have found a few floorplans/brands that work for us, but looking for people who have gave up the floorplan in the fiver for the benefits of the Class A.

We'll be putting alot of miles on and moving fairly frequently, towing a 4x4 toad for exploring, so a DP makes sense to us.

I recently had the dually in for some warranty work and had a F150 for a loaner - I forgot how easy it is to drive a small truck! One of the many reasons we're looking at the switch.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We pulled a 36' 5er for 10 years before getting the MH in 2012. We really loved the 5er! After we retired and wanted to do more traveling around the country we realized that a DP would be a much better choice. We could stop anywhere along the way and eat lunch, go to the bathroom, etc., without getting out and going into a hot or cold RV while exposing ourselves to the rain, cold, etc. Also, we could pull into a Wal-Mart or other location and stay the night with all the conveniences of a CG.

For us, it was how we planned to use it. If you will be primarily doing weekends and an occasional long trip, the maybe the 5er would be a better choice with a lot less expense.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote