Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #1

For full timers...what are some of the reasons you chose a fifth wheel over a class A or vice versa? Not which is better...just why you made the choice...
We're facing that dilema...

Re-tredded Newbies lookin' forward to seeing the USA at a more leisurely pace!
Horsevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #2

For full timers...what are some of the reasons you chose a fifth wheel over a class A or vice versa? Not which is better...just why you made the choice...
We're facing that dilema...

Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I needed a service truck so I needed a class a that could pull it. If I went with a fifth wheel I would need the truck to pull the fifth wheel. We liked the ride in a class A. We like the ease at stopping, staying and leaving so we opted for the class A.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #4

We are going with a fifth wheel because they seem more open and may have more livable space. both options are usable, the fifth seems to be more flexable in how you use it as well. We wanted a truck to haul stuff as well as tool around in any way. Oh and We choose not to maintain two drive trains
03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 H 06 Mobile Suites tk3 #3151
1Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We are "part-timers (6 months/year in RV) and we've had both types - have a motorhome now. I think it depends mostly on your usage. The motorhome is more convenient when you travel and stop for a few days at a time. The 5W gives a bit more interior space (and home-like floor plans), so is nice when you are parked for longer periods.

Toads & trucks...
Some people love a truck. Others can't even picture themselves ever "driving a truck", especially to the shopping mall. Some people want an economy car to toodle around, so a toad makes more sense than a large tow vehicle.

Bottom line: different strokes for different folks
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #6

Gary's comparison is a good one. We were at a Country Coach show where a gal announced she was going to by a class A rig & trade in their 5er. Reason- they pulled in for the previous night, hubby made the rounds doing the setup, and alongside pulled a class A. The motorhomers had drinks in hand in about 10 minutes, while her hubby was still completing their setup after 30.
So its all about the margaritas.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Horsevoice - you might want to paste this thread on the Full-Timers Area (near the bottom of the forums). Might generate some more advice - cuz.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #8

We lived FT in a TT for 5 years, went into a house and bought a 5th wheel. It was a 36 ft with three slides - huge. I hated it. My hb thought it would be so easy to park - just jackknife it in! - but he never did get the hang of it. He could put the TT anywhere but not the 5th.

After a year we traded it in on a MH. The reasons included the 5th wheel had too many steps that hurt my hips and knees; too big (had 3 slides but very bad design); the truck was uncomfortable. If we kept the 5th or traded for a different one we would have to buy another truck to do the traveling we wanted to do. The cost of another 5th wheel and truck was close to the cost of the MH so we bought a MH. If not a MH I would have settled for another TT.

We bought the MH and have never regretted it. We have traveled around the country and stayed put in one place for an extended time (1 year). We did pull out every 2 weeks to empty the black water tank since my sister's did not have a dump (we drained the gray out into her lawn) and fill the propane. It is so nice while traveling to get up for food, drinks or go to the restroom. The seats are comfy and the dog and cat likes the freedom to walk around.

One negative is propane. We are Workampers at a park that does not have propane delivery so we took the tank off our BBQ and use it. Since our electric is included in our FHU package we use a ceramic heater thereby using very little propane.

We have plenty of room (we travel with the computer,two printers, and inventory for our two home based businesses). When we go to street fairs/flea markets the MH home is much easier to park in our space where we then set up in front of it. The storage underneath is also great. In the 5th we really did not have enough for all our personal things and business inventory - we do in the MH.

I know I am happy with our MH because I have no interest to look at the new/used ones at RV shows. For us the timing was right as in the past I was very much against a MH.

Good luck on your choosing.

Charlotte

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #9

Many thanks for all your input. I guess it is about more than just the margaritias!

Old 02-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I always have had a pickup for use around the house and it my everyday driver. If I had a class A I would still need the pickup. I pay enought for insurance now and also don't want the up keep of another vehicle. I also like to room in the fiver. If you have a problem with the drive line in a class A it would for me harder to get someone to work on it as compaired to the pickup.
Tom