Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wasn't sure where this question might fit best, so I'll try General Discussion . . .

I live in Texas and bought a national Thousand Trails campground membership from a Florida resident. When I received a bill for annual dues, it included an 11 percent addition for "Florida Recreation Tax." I called Thousand Trails and they said the following:

- Florida is the only state with such a tax.
- I would have to pay the tax as long as the original member, who purchased the membership as a resident of Florida, remained a Florida resident! Said Florida required it.

I called the Florida Department of Revenue "help line" and simply got an indication that it sounded okay to them!

Anyone have any insight? Sounds like "taxation without representation!" Any way I can get this crazy charge off my bill?
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Wasn't sure where this question might fit best, so I'll try General Discussion . . .

I live in Texas and bought a national Thousand Trails campground membership from a Florida resident. When I received a bill for annual dues, it included an 11 percent addition for "Florida Recreation Tax." I called Thousand Trails and they said the following:

- Florida is the only state with such a tax.
- I would have to pay the tax as long as the original member, who purchased the membership as a resident of Florida, remained a Florida resident! Said Florida required it.

I called the Florida Department of Revenue "help line" and simply got an indication that it sounded okay to them!

Anyone have any insight? Sounds like "taxation without representation!" Any way I can get this crazy charge off my bill?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #3

I am not nor have I ever been a resident of FL. However, we originally bought our TT membership as an upgrade to the "free" one offered by Lazy Days with our new coach purchase in Feb.'02 it was handled via TT Orlando. We too see that FL tax on our bill and I am not planning to pay it as said we were never FL residents. Also speaking of TT and their billings, I "thought" that the Trail Blazer mag. subscriptions was part of the original deal now I see that is another $14 charge on my invoice. Since it is at best only a so-so magazine not planning on paying that either. I guess I am in for a battle of letter exchanges, but, so be it, Ken Roberts, '04 DSDP....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Folks, you have been snookered big time and probably never knew it was coming. Nothing is FREE and especially the goodies that are tagged on to your deals with these high volume dealers.

Sure it might be a nice place to stay and it MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD, but you fell into their "Make More Profit Program" and you took it hook line and sinker. Had you declined all the add-ons and seen what was coming and said "NO", you would be loads of money ahead, and not locked into something you really don't want or won't use, but you would be FREE to travel where and when you want without any afiliations hanging around your neck, not to mention all those annual dues and maintenence fees which are going to start popping up unexpectedly.

When you went into the Finance Officers Office to complete your deal, thats the "Dungon of gotcha" and you basiclly signed your life away. These dealers are professionals at getting every dime they can out of you and they'll do it with a big "screw you grin" on their face.

This is not the RV Industry our fathers bought from, this is the world of high finance, add-ons, add-ons and more add-ons. And, if your not carefull, they'll get you to sign your life away, all in the game of making
"MORE PROFIT"....

Radarr
Old 11-10-2005, 03:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radarr:
Folks, you have been snookered big time and probably never knew it was coming. Nothing is FREE and especially the goodies that are tagged on to your deals with these high volume dealers.

Sure it might be a nice place to stay and it MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD, but you fell into their "Make More Profit Program" and you took it hook line and sinker. Had you declined all the add-ons and seen what was coming and said "NO", you would be loads of money ahead, and not locked into something you really don't want or won't use, but you would be FREE to travel where and when you want without any afiliations hanging around your neck, not to mention all those annual dues and maintenence fees which are going to start popping up unexpectedly.

When you went into the Finance Officers Office to complete your deal, thats the "Dungon of gotcha" and you basiclly signed your life away. These dealers are professionals at getting every dime they can out of you and they'll do it with a big "screw you grin" on their face.

This is not the RV Industry our fathers bought from, this is the world of high finance, add-ons, add-ons and more add-ons. And, if your not carefull, they'll get you to sign your life away, all in the game of making
"MORE PROFIT"....

Radarr </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay . . .

know anything about the Florida Recreation Tax ??????????
Old 11-10-2005, 08:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is another forum that is for TTN members on Yahoo. I will post the question and see if one of the MAB's has any suggestion. I recall this comming up before and the answer was the person was stuck with the tax but they had lived in FL and had moved.

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The person I was thinking about has responded and is checking into this. He also asked if you have talked to anyone in the Gautier, Mississippi office?

Old 11-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike has found an answer for you and you can get the tax removed.

To have the tax removed.

"The Florida tax is assessed to any member who purchases in Florida and
has access to use a Florida preserve. Apparently this applied to the
original owner and in his case he would have had to pay the Florida tax
for the life of the membership."

"If someone buys his membership and can show legal residence in another
state (copy of Driver's License or Voter Registration Card) he will
need to send a copy to Member Services with a request to remove the
Florida tax."

Mike Brown

The address is
Member Services
Thousand Trails L.P.
2325 Highway 90
Gautier, MS 39553

Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Winnobego:
Mike has found an answer for you and you can get the tax removed.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much, Winnobego!

As information, Mike Brown is a Northwestern US representative on the Member Advisory Board of Thousand Trails.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting. I've lived in Florida for 28 years and never heard of a statewide "Recreation Tax". Nor can I find one listed on the state tax department's web site. However, all Florida campground accomodations are subject to the regular state sales & use tax and in many counties they are also subject to a "bed" tax, just like a hotel/motel room. Basically the local bed tax is a tax on transient (tourist) accomodations. The total of those often comes out to 11%, so I wonder if that's it? But those woud apply whether the owner is a resident or not.

There are several "special tax districts" in the area where the Thousand Trails is located (Orlando) and "Recreation" is sometimes the justification for these special tax districts. These districts are created to enact taxes to pay for a particular service or purpose and apply only to people in that district, which sounds like what you have described. Perhaps Thousand Trails sits in one of those districts.

The best I can say is that I've camped a lot of places in Florida over the years and have never paid a "Recreation Tax".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:54 AM   #11

It is probably on the up and up as there is a tax on hotel rooms, cabins, etc. in Florida. We have worked at several campgrounds in the state and there is a 13% tax on rentals but not RV spots. My thinking is Florida does this to get revenue from visitors since so many come here in the winter.
Sissy7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnobago - would you please post the URL for the TTN Yahoo thread?

Thanks

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ttnmembers/

Old 11-24-2005, 06:24 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey --- it worked!

Sent copy of voter registration showing TX residence to Thousand Trails and the Florida tax was removed!

Now, hope it carries through on subsequent billings . . .