Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Flat on one of the dual tires

When you get a flat, not necessarily a blowout, on one of the dual tires, more of a problem with the inner dual I assume, can you tell when it happens? With the other dual keeping the coach up, I wonder how long it takes to feel that something is wrong, if your TPMS is not on of course. If this has happened to you, please share your experience.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don’t have a TPMS, you may not know until the outer tire blows.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

I carry a hammer in my truck bed just for checking dually tires quickly. If a dually tire goes flat, sometimes it will run itself off the rim and you will know it right away with the thumping and bouncing. I had a dually tire blow on my Chevy this summer and it destroyed the plastic RT box fender side.
If I do get a flat on the dually, after checking it over, I will drive slow to a parking lot to change it. It's safer than changing a tire on the shoulder and the slow speed should not hurt/stress the remaining dually tire. I used to run a Hot Shot gooseneck trailer and averaged a trailer dually blowout 4-6 times a year (hauling heavy 20k steel coils).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I awoke one morning to a flat outer. Called ERS and they came and repaired - was a nail in the tread.

Another time a outer blew at highway speed. TPMS immediately started screaming and I could hear the tire hitting against the coach. Luckily no damage to the coach. ERS came and installed my mounted spare.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like grindstone01 I carry a tire thumper and check the tires every time we stop, need to walk and stretch anyways, so I accomplish 2 things at once in the walk around. I have also used a laser thermometer as a low tire will run hotter than all the others and if I find one in question I get out the tire pressure gauge and get an accurate psi reading. Never had or used a TPMS, I guess I'm just old school.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #6

We have had two blowouts on rear duals before we had a TPMS. Both times my wife was driving. The first one was on the outer tire. She noticed about Little Rock Arkansas that there was a little more sway. She thought it was the wind and kept driving to Malvern Arkansas (approx 45 mi). We stopped working a couple of hours. We when we started to leave, I used mt tire buddy to thump all the tires and found the drivers side dual had a hole in the sidewall the size of my fist. No other damage was apparent. We had road service replace the tire on July 4 (ouch) and drove on.

A couple of months later we were once again on the road from Little Rock home and the inside drivers side blew. There was a pop, a flapping noise then quiet. We wondered what the sound was for a few seconds then there were loud flapping sounds, the sound of metal on metal, and other weird noises as she pulled off the road. At no time was there any loss of control of the vehicle.

This time the tire was shredded as was the underside of the coach floor, the heater duct was destroyed, and there were jack parts scattered down the highway.

Lessons learned:

1 - There is no steering change or other feel of a blowout on one dual.
2 - There may be a pop if the tire actually blows, but you may not notice.
3 - If you have a blowout, have the other tire removed and checked for internal damage as it has been run grossly overloaded.
4 - If you run a tire with internal damage as I did, it will blowout eventually and it will sling apart, causing much more damage than would otherwise occur.

I hope this helped. I sure learned a lot. I now have an TPMS and I never drive till I check it. I also weighed each wheel of my coach and set the proper pressure on both ends of each axel to carry the weight of the heaviest end according to the tire manufacturer so I never run an overloaded tire.

May you only have trouble free travel.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:40 AM   #7

Tyre thumpers?? Thought they had been well-proven to be only good for giving the driver a little bit of arm exercise. But if it makes you feel better, swing away.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:55 AM   #8

Tire thumpers pretty useless when driving down the road, and that is when the air is escaping.

When one tire runs flat on a dual set, you destroy the other tire because it is carrying way more load than it was designed for. But that will not show until a later day.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 AM   #9

When I bought my new (old) RV, I found a sawed off shovel handle by the drivers seat. I asked the previous owner "what's that for?". He said "Two things...whacking the tires to check for flats... and noisy neighbors."
Old 11-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one of those inexpensive thermometer guns. What would the tire temperatures be when I walk around and look at each tire with the temperature gun??
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #11

You most definitely feel the sway. I guess I should say you SHOULD most definitely feel the sway if you pay attention to how your coach drives.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Tyre thumpers?? Thought they had been well-proven to be only good for giving the driver a little bit of arm exercise. But if it makes you feel better, swing away.

So all these years truckers were wasting their time thumping tires?? Most of the time you can't tell if a dual tire is flat by looking at it. A good experienced trucker can thump a tire and tell if the tire is low by the sound and rebound.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Tire thumpers pretty useless when driving down the road, and that is when the air is escaping.

When one tire runs flat on a dual set, you destroy the other tire because it is carrying way more load than it was designed for. But that will not show until a later day.

Usually a leaky tire takes hours to go flat and thumping will alert you a tire is low PSI, assuming you stop every couple of hours, which everyone should.
If a dual goes flat, the remaining tire should be inspected for damage. A trucker would go broke if he bought 2 tires everytime one went flat on his rig. That's a crazy assumption to think the other tire is automatically bad.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have one of those inexpensive thermometer guns. What would the tire temperatures be when I walk around and look at each tire with the temperature gun??
Don't know, but you want them all to be fairly equal. If the direction your driving has the sun shining on one side, you can expect those tires to be a little warmer.

Tags
tires