Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Flat screen TV help

i have a 97 holiday rambler with a tv in the dash <well i did have > its removed looking to put a newer tv in there , i have a 20 x 18 hole to fill was wondering what others have done for those that have tackled that plse fill me in also looking to to do the rear bdrm thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd suggest an alternate location rather than be limited to the hole in the dash. That could be made into shelves or cubbies for travel. Perhaps a flip down mount on the ceiling, or a lift from behind a table or sofa, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #3

I had to address the same issue when I finally pulled the old 75 lb. tv out of the dash in my 2005 Fleetwood Fiesta. Sounds like it left the same size "hole" as yours, as mine was just a fraction over 20" across. Of course, most if not all flat screen tv's now have a rectangular style screen, so with a 20" wide opening, the height of the screen will not be anywhere near what the old tv had. In addition, it's a little challenging finding a small flat screen that is exactly 20", and when you do find one, it will cost more than a 32".

I bought an Insignia 20" LED from Best Buy. Model # is NS-20ED310NA15. All the manual controls and the DVD slot are behind the screen, so you have to leave enough depth when filling in the empty space, to still have access to this area.

I ran into a talented individual in a woodworking shop in a retirement community, and he took on the project of filling in the empty space in the RV, and mounting the new flat screen. It also required the purchase of a wall hanging tv mount. I am pretty happy with the end result. He claimed he put almost 20 hours into the project, much of which was walking back and forth between the shop and the RV while he was measuring and building templates.

I will try to attach some photos. Hope this works!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

Looks like the download didn't work, Dave. Will give it one more shot. If nothing shows up, shoot me your e-mail address and I will forward the photos directly to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00298.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	98422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00299.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	98423  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00300.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	98424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00301.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	98425  

Old 06-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
awesome yes plse send real sized picks also where did you get the mount ? email is daveandfara@gmail.com thanks was this the tv ? how does it play ? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...&skuId=2926265
Old 06-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
awesome yes plse send real sized picks also where did you get the mount ? email is daveandfara@gmail.com thanks was this the tv ? how does it play ? Insignia 20" Class 1912" Diag. LED 720p HDTV DVD Combo Black NS-20ED310NA15 - Best Buy
Yes, that is the same tv. I turned it on to make sure it was working, but have done nothing other than that. It is still in "set up" mode, but the instructions on the screen are easy to read even from the living area behind the front seats, so I don't anticipate that the screen size will be a problem (not that there were a lot of alternatives other than relocating the tv and still having a hole to fill in).

Not all BestBuy stores stock this model, so it is best to call first. I didn't, and ended up running all over town. I bought the wall mount bracket at Walmart. It is called a Sanus Vuepoint, designed for a 13-32" tv. It was $29.96, and because it is generic, half of what is in the box will go in the trash. It also has a tilt function, which may or may not be of benefit to you.

I will try and send those photos to you, I just have to install a program to downsize them first.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #7

I did pretty much the exact same thing, only ours was mounted from the ceiling. The original cabinet was stained wood. I bought two wall mounts from Amazon for about $15.00 each, one for the front, and one for the bedroom. I bought two flat screens from Costco, used the mounts, and installed the TVs. Once I was done, I had a friend who is real handy with wood cut, stain, and install a piece above the living room TV to fill the space left by the rectangle flat screen. You can't tell it isn't original even looking for a flaw. I'm more than thrilled to have TVs that look better, perform better, weigh a fraction of originals, and are more power efficient.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You sometimes need to literally think outside the box. Rather than fit the TV in the opening, bolt it to the outside of the old opening, using a larger TV. Flat screens a thin, so mounting it over the old opening usually doesn't take up much space. If you put a hinge on the back, you can use the old opening for storage.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You sometimes need to literally think outside the box. Rather than fit the TV in the opening, bolt it to the outside of the old opening, using a larger TV. Flat screens a thin, so mounting it over the old opening usually doesn't take up much space. If you put a hinge on the back, you can use the old opening for storage.
Valid point, but probably much more applicable when replacing an overhead TV. I would imagine a person with some talent could figure out a way to hang a 50" flatscreen from the ceiling, which would swing up and out of the way when not in use, without obstructing anything else, except maybe the roof AC vents.

My goal in replacing my 20" wide tube TV with a 20" wide flat screen, was to try and have it "blend in" as much as possible, rather than having it look like an afterthought, although I know that is not totally possible, considering the layout. If you look at the photos that I posted, the next step up from a 20", which would be a 22" would have already been covering access to the buttons on the factory audio system. In addition, it would have had to be mounted further out from the dash, which would have limited the full movement of the doghouse cover whenever it had to be opened.

The 20" job suits me fine. I'm not a big TV viewer at home, and it is even less of a priority when I am out camping/traveling.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mine doesn't look like an afterthought and it is mounted outside the original opening. It's tougher now, but if you can find one, the secret is to find a TV model that has the speakers underneath. This makes a more square, rather than rectangular TV frame and fits better.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #11

Great job, Don! Looks very nice. Wish my job would have blended in a little smoother, but I was restricted by the old "cove" from the previous TV and both ends of the existing dash, as well as the doghouse cover. The location of the DVD insert and other controls on the side of my TV also eliminated the possibility of a flush mount, which would have admittedly looked much cleaner.

I think we can both agree that there are a lot more options present when dealing with an overhead TV conversion on an older RV as compared to an in-dash one.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I resized the cubby for the TV by bringing the bottom up flat (it originally slanted down) long term plans call for making the TV into a door, and shelving inside and storing CD/DVD/et-al there.. Will move a few other things about as well..Greatly improving my install.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Don what model tv is that ? do you know the dimensions ? thats what i need with speakers on the bottom
Ive considered building a cupboard there and using the doors when parked to create a stand which would accommodate a big tv like 50 in but Realistically we dont watch much tv plus ill have to move the tv every time we move

Tags
scr