Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #29

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I'd change it myself. In this world of girly men I wonder how many of you have the skills to actually do it yourself
Skills- yep , Tools- yep , Jack- yep
Just have to hope the old back holds up!!
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I'd change it myself. In this world of girly men I wonder how many of you have the skills to actually do it yourself
Skill-yep, Tools-yep, Jack-yep, enough money to pay someone else to do it for me and enough time to wait for them to do it-yep

Old 12-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Satphone
Along the same idea:

On-Star We, for some reason, bought 300 minutes. And, if we can
remember to use it, it has saved us several times.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
I am an armature radio operator and carry enough gear to call for help from anywhere.
When we vacation in Maine there are many places where there is no cell phone service.

All of those places I can connect with a ham radio operator.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #33

Smile Alaska Bound

The first flat on the motor coach was on the Long Island Expressway after passing thru a construction area. I managed to plug it and fill it from the Motor coach air supply. I then drove it to a truck tire repair center to get it patched correctly.
The second flat was on the toad on the Alcan Highway after going thru another construction area. The tire was completely flat by the time I was able to find a safe spot to stop... This time there wasn't any cell service. Again I plugged the tire....had to disconnect from the coach because the air line wasn't long enough....filled it up and went the remaining 8000 miles or more without any further problems. TPMS were definitely a great investment for us!

2013 Holiday Rambler 36 pft, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
Along the same idea:

On-Star We, for some reason, bought 300 minutes. And, if we can
remember to use it, it has saved us several times.
On star uses cellular. For a while they used Verizon, now they use att. Not the same as having a sat phone. They have the same limitations as your cell phone.

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/coveragemaps.html

OnStar Service Information
OnStar Service works using cellular or other wireless phone networks in the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Canada, as well as the Global Positioning System (‘GPS’) satellite network. OnStar services are not available everywhere, particularly in enclosed or remote areas.
As illustrated by this map, OnStar service can’t work unless your car is in a place where we have an agreement with a wireless service provider for service in that area. OnStar service also can’t work unless you’re in a place where the wireless service provider we’ve hired for that area has coverage, network capacity, and reception when the service is needed, and technology that’s compatible with the OnStar service. OnStar service that involves location information about your car cannot work unless GPS satellite signals are unobstructed and available in that place as well.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #35

It seems so complicated. I simply carry a mounted spare with tools, including some that I fabricated, that give me enough mechanical advantage to change it. That worked well in the driveway, at least. The tire is only 19.5, but still in excess of 100lbs.

I think it is a mental thing, if you're used to doing things for yourself that's what you do, if not someone is contacted to do it for you. IMHO, it's best to do what a person is comfortable with.

I've always done things for myself, but at 78 that will probably start changing sometime in the future.

May your tires always be round.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many RVers have options
Class a: Flat on RV.. Drop towed and drive to where you have service
Class A and flat on towed, Drop towed and Drive class A as above
Also applies to other motor home classes pulling a towed.

Trailer (TT 5'er or gooseneck) flat on trailer. Unhook and.. See above
Flat on Tow Vehicle, 1: Change it, 2 Screwed.

Or in my case

No cell service,,, Fire up TS-2000 and radio for help.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
It seems so complicated. I simply carry a mounted spare with tools, including some that I fabricated, that give me enough mechanical advantage to change it. That worked well in the driveway, at least. The tire is only 19.5, but still in excess of 100lbs.

I think it is a mental thing, if you're used to doing things for yourself that's what you do, if not someone is contacted to do it for you. IMHO, it's best to do what a person is comfortable with.

I've always done things for myself, but at 78 that will probably start changing sometime in the future.

May your tires always be round.

Steve
Many of us with 22.5" tires weren't provided with a spare or a place to put a spare from the manufacturer. Im sure some jury rigging could resolve that issue. Not fond of having 150 lbs hanging off the back of my MH frame.

The reasoning is the weight of a 22.5 tire and rim is close to 150 lbs. I think its great that you are fit enough and your back in good enough condition to be able to wrangle 150 lbs. My husband and I can't. I was a payphone field tech for 12 years lifting 100+ lbs daily and it has taken its toll on my disks. I rely on my husbands back and would not risk it to be able to claim we changed our own tire. Its unrealistic.

Then there is the question of jacks and stability using the jacks. I find it fascinating that everyone thinks the side of the road is level and firm. Awesome you did it in your drive. If you tried to do it on our gravel sloping drive you would be risking your life.

Even if you do get everything set up right, have you used a bottle jack?
Then there is not much on the top to grip and hold the frame against the air pressure of big rigs passing you while you are on the side of the road. Wouldn't take much to rock a 22,000+lb MH off the jack.

Sure there are other jacks that take up more space and weigh more. How close to your max weight are you now? On a chassis that runs 19.5" tires probably pretty close.

Don't try to shame people into feeling like they are less of a whole person at any age when they chose to let someone with the right setup do the work. I would say good back but sometimes I worry that their back is at risk too.

I have been able to heal my back enough that I haven't had surgery, don't use pain meds and no longer have to use a granny cart when shopping. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone especially when they are traveling.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No one is trying to "shame" anyone. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for a person to not change a flat on their RV. But there are also legitimate reason to not be entirely dependent on others, especially if there may be no way to reach/contact those "others".

My class A uses 19.5" tires, and requires 450 ft.lbs. of torque. I carry a spare (in a compartment designed for it), a lugwrench, a 5' pipe breaker bar, wheel chocks, and safety triangles. My hydraulic jacks, while not recommended for it, WILL safely lift my rig. I would obviously never attempt to change a tire on a sloping, gravel shoulder with big rigs passing close by (that actually sounds like an attempt to shame me, forkyfork); common sense would dictate that I would limp the rig to a safe location. Yes, I've used a bottle jack safely in the past, more than once, on a previous RV; it's called flat level ground and wheel chocks (another attempt to shame?).

Again, the original question regarded a flat tire with NO cell service. Many of us don't have toads; I haul either PWCs or ATVs (with paddle tires), none of which would do any good to "go for help". I've always relied on myself rather than others, although as I get older, that will obviously change somewhat; no shame in that. However, I can still help out those "others" by having the required parts/tools on hand; no shame there either.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #39

I had a blowout on a left rear inside tire on the interstate in Montana once upon a time. While waiting for the tire guy to show up I was imagining what it would be like to change it myself. Since it was about 12 years ago the physical aspect of it was not an issue.

I had the jack and all the needed wood blocking it would take. I even had a torque wrench capable of producing the near 500 FtLbs necessary on my particular chassis and a mounted spare.

Since the flat was on the driver side that was the side exposed to passing traffic. 18 wheelers rolling by at 80 MPH 2-4 feet from the side of the motorhome was enough to convince me I would never change the tire regardless of strength, skill or tool availability.

Do I remove and replace wheels and tires in my own shop/driveway. Of course. Will I do it on the side of the road, never. Roadside assistance is something I'll always purchase anyway so why not avail myself of the services I'm paying for. Has nothing to do with skill or the ability to do things for myself. Has everything to do with safety.

Even if you are capable of changing the wheel/tire and have the necessary stuff. Do you really want to? The side of the interstate is not the same as in your driveway.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Let see first thing is you have a flat on your MH. Odds of that are what? Know you need to be where there is no cell service. Odds of that are even more. Now they both have to happen at the same time. Odds of that ? Know you know why I don't carry a spare or buy lottery tickets.

In 55 years of driving I've only had one flat tire on a driven vehicle going down the road.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #41

Good Sam

I have had a Good Sam membership with road service for many years. I have never had call for an RV but have used it for car issues. No copay on road calls. I had a Travel Trailer and if needed they would send two trucks to tow Travel Trailer and tow vehicle. Have a class A now with 22.5s and I'm too old and couldn't change it if I had a spare.

All of that cost less than $150.

The campground savings recover some if not all of the cost.

I recently bought the Extended Warranty from Good Sam too. With special tire clause that reduces deductible. Now that is $125 month for 10 months ($1250 year) This class A is a 2005 and I thought it a good idea to carry that for a while anyway.

So with the toad I would use it to get to cell service.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Many of us with 22.5" tires weren't provided with a spare or a place to put a spare from the manufacturer. Im sure some jury rigging could resolve that issue. Not fond of having 150 lbs hanging off the back of my MH frame.

The reasoning is the weight of a 22.5 tire and rim is close to 150 lbs. I think its great that you are fit enough and your back in good enough condition to be able to wrangle 150 lbs. My husband and I can't. I was a payphone field tech for 12 years lifting 100+ lbs daily and it has taken its toll on my disks. I rely on my husbands back and would not risk it to be able to claim we changed our own tire. Its unrealistic.

Then there is the question of jacks and stability using the jacks. I find it fascinating that everyone thinks the side of the road is level and firm. Awesome you did it in your drive. If you tried to do it on our gravel sloping drive you would be risking your life.

Even if you do get everything set up right, have you used a bottle jack?
Then there is not much on the top to grip and hold the frame against the air pressure of big rigs passing you while you are on the side of the road. Wouldn't take much to rock a 22,000+lb MH off the jack.

Sure there are other jacks that take up more space and weigh more. How close to your max weight are you now? On a chassis that runs 19.5" tires probably pretty close.

Don't try to shame people into feeling like they are less of a whole person at any age when they chose to let someone with the right setup do the work. I would say good back but sometimes I worry that their back is at risk too.

I have been able to heal my back enough that I haven't had surgery, don't use pain meds and no longer have to use a granny cart when shopping. I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone especially when they are traveling.
I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm "shaming" them, that is never my intent. In the post I did say, "IMHO, it's best to do what a person is comfortable with." I mean that. Through life we have all had different experiences that make us who we are. Those life experiences provide some of us with the ability to change our own tires and to fabricate without "jury rigging". Others with different life experiences cannot do these things comfortably, but can do other things well. That's just the way I see it.

I grew up on a farm in WV during the '50s. There was ample opportunity then to learn many things, including most of what was mentioned. Since then I have been on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier while launching and retrieving aircraft, a millwright for several years, and the rest of my working life as a forester in the Pacific NW. Through this and my numerous hobbies, including 40 years of RVing across the US, I have learned a bit about safety and the importance of "choosing your battles" as it relates to safety. In that regard we're certainly in agreement.

My insurance includes roadside coverage. I also have everything I need to change a tire myself. These provide options I feel comfortable with. I can change the tire myself if that is best, or rely on someone else.

My best wishes with your back, I have experienced that in the past and it was not good.

Steve

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service