Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Flex Seal

I have a leak on my front top cap of my motor home, and currently it is too cold to install Eternbond, so I was wondering if anyone has used Flex Seal on thie RV and if so if they can provide me with their results.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
As a temporary measure, I'd be concerned about the difficulty of the FlexSeal's removal. Without the use of masking tape and wide paper to protect the surrounding area, I would think it's use would be pretty messy.

I think you would be better off using a small tube of a good non-silicone based marine sealant(just not 5200, it's too tenacious). Flexible and removable. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #3

flex seal

I was in the auto business for all my life, years ago they used that stuff to under coat cars had to stop it because it would shrink as it aged and fell away from the bottom of the cars and water would get in and rust the floors away, try to find another way!

and it is petroleum based and you will have a hell of a time cleaning it off! what kind of roof do you have? if its rubber dont use it!
savitbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feed back, still welcomes others who may have used it in RV, my RV is an old 83 Pace Arrow fiberglass roof if it matters, and again my main need right now to to prevent current leak so come summer I can do it correctly.

And also on that note why would I have to remove it, if it is just a thin layers before adding the eternebond?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't take this as gospel, but a friend of mine just told me he used it the other day and it did not work like it was advertised, if it does not stick very well then when you use the eternabond it will not stick very good. I don't like to post on any thing that I have not done or used or know anything about, just telling you what I was told buy a friend. I have used the eternabond a lot and it does have to be clean for it to stick but when i does it won't come off.
dirty harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have ready many post on line and some say it work and other said it doesn't, I am going to read the can to see how difficult it is to remove and if I think it won't create any major problem for me afterward, I may mask it off so only the cap connection is expose and try it for myself.

Then when the weather roll around I will clean everything off with my angle grinder with wire brush and then use the Eernboand for the permanent solution.

Right now I just want to stop the leak so it doesn't create mold or other damage, the wind in my are are almost alway blowing so a tarp doesn't really hold up.

I am still open to feed back and suggestions, because I have at least until Sunday before I do anything , and that is only after I clean it properly so I may ever have an extra week before I attempt it.

Afterward I will post a honest evaluation of the product, that is pending rain beforehand, and that will also allow me to post how hard it was to remove. that being said, if I only spray a thin strip why would I have to remove it before the Eternbodn application, being use the 6" roll?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #7

I used it on my metal roof here in Fl. It went on easy and for a week or 2 it stopped the leak. When the roof started leaking again I checked it out. The flex seal was shrunk up and flaking off. Doesn't work as advertised.
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #8

go to home depot and get a roll of the stuff (Can't remember the correct name) they use in new homes on the carpet when showing a home . it is sticky on one side.
camping world recommended this when i fell and broke a skylight out. it worked great for about a month of rain and snow till the new one arrived . clean up was a snap also which was a plus.
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
All of the items on my roof and all of my windows are sealed with 100% silicone rubber. I've never had a problem. I agree with the comments "Remove all of the old sealing product before resealing". Silicone rubber doesn't shrink or crack. It can expand and contract without breaking the bond.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #10

I use butyl rubber(gutter seal)on most of my roof. If you get a finger print on something,silicone won't stick.

It can get messy though.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I use butyl rubber(gutter seal)on most of my roof. If you get a finger print on something,silicone won't stick.

It can get messy though.
That's a good point Perry. I would recommend cleaning the surface with a solvent before applying any sealant.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
And nothing will stick to silicone, and if something comes loose nothing will stick to it.
dirty harryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty harryo View Post
And nothing will stick to silicone, and if something comes loose nothing will stick to it.

x2

Silicone is a very poor exterior sealant. VERY difficult to remove completely and about the only thing Eternabond won't stick to.

Silicone has its place but its not on a roof.

IMHO

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kartvines,
I used a can of Flex Seal on a basement compartment that was leaking when I drove in the rain. The compartment is immediately behind the right rear wheels. Sprayed Flex Seal over all the exterior of the compartment. Did extra on all the seams and joints. I just drove through an hour of Florida down pour. The compartment was dry. The Flex Seal was sprayed on in November of 2011. This is the first time I've driven in rain. So far, so good.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal