Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #1

Unhappy Flooded 5th wheel

Hi - We could use some help please. Our 5th wheel was parked up for the winter and we accidentally left the water on. Found it this evening with broken pipe in shower head (probably from water pressure rather than frozen) - standing water is throughout and running through floors. We have seen a couple of suggestions we are going to use, tilting it slightly to increase water run off and turning on heat and air condition to help dry it out. Plan on sucking out as much water as possible with a shop vac and then sopping up whatever else we can with towels. Any other ideas out there? Thanks for any advice you can give. Jerry and Mary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So sorry about your flood. I can't imagine how much damage may have been done. If you have carpet pull it and the padding out asap.

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a dehumidifier going, the bigger the better. Most larger ones come with a hose attachment for draing so you don't have to be there all the time to empty tank. Hope you can dry things out before real damage is done. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
paz

JandMSmith, sorry for your problem.

We had a similar flood in a travel trailer we used to have. We caught the leak right away (we were on vacation in the trailer at the time), stopped the leak, and went out and rented a Rug Doctor to suck as much water out of the carpet as we could. We used all the towels we had with us to sop up water. DW kept taking towels to the campground laundry and bringing back dry ones. We ran the air conditioner to lower the humidity in the trailer (it was summer) and the furnace at the same time to dry the carpet. We managed to save the carpet and padding with no musty smells.

Also, make sure to open all cabinets and remove drawers to allow air to circulate.

PS: welcome to iRV2
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandMSmith View Post
Hi - We could use some help please. Our 5th wheel was parked up for the winter and we accidentally left the water on. Found it this evening with broken pipe in shower head (probably from water pressure rather than frozen) - standing water is throughout and running through floors. We have seen a couple of suggestions we are going to use, tilting it slightly to increase water run off and turning on heat and air condition to help dry it out. Plan on sucking out as much water as possible with a shop vac and then sopping up whatever else we can with towels. Any other ideas out there? Thanks for any advice you can give. Jerry and Mary
When our brick and mortar house sprung a leak in some plumbing, the insurance company had a vendor who came out to dry things out. They used a super heavy duty dehumidifier that was left running for about 36 hours to really dry things out. A regular dehumidifier is designed for a much smaller task than dealing with a flood. If your 5-er is relatively new I would recommend that you not try a self help on this one. You won't get all the moisture out of the wood/carpet, etc. and may have a mold problem down the line. This is likely a job for the experts. They also have moisture detectors to be able to tell if the 5 er is truly dry.

BTW, have you contacted insurance? They may pay for this cleanup if it was a pipe burst, depending on the policy. Some RV policies are more like auto policies (bad) while others are written to mirror a regular homeowners policy (good). If you have the latter, I imagine it will be a covered hazard.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your water leak. You've already gotten lots of good advice, so I'll just wish you the best.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #7

Does Servpro do RVs?

Damage Restoration Service | SERVPRO Industries, Inc.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum Jerry and Mary. I second the recommendations of seeking professional help with this and getting your insurance company involved. Otherwise you may have some longterm problems that you don't want.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i had a similar intance mine was with the sink water feed it got caught in the slide mecanisem and burst, it was summe called insurance they sent a guy out and all they did was use a shop vac and a carpet cleaner sucked all the water out and fixed the pipe and then they opend the rear window of the trailer i had at the time and put a blower fan on the roof at the front roof vent and let it run for three days, it was during the summer when they did this and the total price was below the dedutable so i ended up paying for it when i could have done it my self.