Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #1

Boy am I confussed, I just looked up the requirements for different types of license as it applies to RV's It states that if the RV is uses for please one is exempt from the CDL requirements. Several of the RV driving schools are telling me, because of the rig size, over 65feet that I need a CDL. One fellow was telling me with out the CDL I might not be covered by my insurance.
Where do I find the correct information?
Cayman Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #2

Boy am I confussed, I just looked up the requirements for different types of license as it applies to RV's It states that if the RV is uses for please one is exempt from the CDL requirements. Several of the RV driving schools are telling me, because of the rig size, over 65feet that I need a CDL. One fellow was telling me with out the CDL I might not be covered by my insurance.
Where do I find the correct information?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I am a resident of Florida. No special license is required to drive an RV "Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes" of any size. Go here for the Florida DMV web site page that provides the information.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the information, it is what I thought I read on the Florida web site. How do I find out if Florida has reciprocity with other states on this license issue? Does it matter how long the trailer or towed vehicle is behind the motor home?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Click HERE for 50 State Towing Laws.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

This subject comes up from time to time and you should know that while it's unlikely you'll ever be stopped, you are supposedly reponsible for abiding by the overall lengths listed in the aforementioned link....

Not to worry, as I towed a 24' Stacker Trailer with my 45' coach all over the U.S. and never had an issue with being stopped and I was 74' overall from nose to toes....
Old 02-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just because you did it does not make it legal. It just means you didn't get caught.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cayman Dave:
How do I find out if Florida has reciprocity with other states on this license issue? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
From an auto insurance industry website:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The members of the Driver License Compact include all states except Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin though these states may still have their own agreements with other states to exchange information regarding traffic tickets.

The Driver License Compact was created to provide greater uniformity among the member jurisdictions when exchanging information with other members on convictions, records, licenses, withdrawals, and other data pertinent to the licensing process. The basic tenet of this Compact is that each driver, nationwide, should have only one driver license and one driver control record (DCR). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Keep in mind that with a CDL the key word is commercial. Some states have a non-commercial RV driver's license. Hear is a link to a site that might help.

RV drivers license

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has no rules on drivers license for RV'S

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If, in your licensing state, you hold the proper driver's license for the vehicle you're driving, then that license is honored in all states.

It had been posted in the past that the states not in the Drivers License Compact may not honor your license.

However, no one has ever posted of a problem with this.

The rule of thumb is to be legal (drivers license wise) in your home state, and you are legal in all other states.

Motor vehicle length, weight, etc. laws are not reciprocal, and you may be legal in one state but illegal in another.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:00 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by speed racer:
Just because you did it does not make it legal. It just means you didn't get caught. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never implied it was legal, the statement I made was I never had an issue....

Most of the time I find if one drives like they have control of the vehicle and at least a lick of sense, you'll be fine, but there will always be the chance you'll encounter that "by the book" officer with his measuring tape and curiosity.