Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Florida folks and hurricane

Have you folks in Florida abandoned your campsite due to the incoming hurricane? It would seem crazy to stay and try to ride out the storm. I have been through a hurricane myself. So where did you go to get safe? Don't get me wrong. Prayers for all who will try and tough it out. I hope all are safe and comfortable. But remember that the weeks after the storm can be brutal. No power, no fuel, no food, and closed roads. Best of luck to all!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

It would probably be best, especially for anyone south of I-4 to pack up and get out of the state. And the people north of I-4 should give serious thought to doing the same.

I just spent 2 hours getting diesel for my truck and gas for my generator, two stations are out all together and I saw several stations that don't carry diesel apparently completely out of gas. Walmart was surprisingly still well stocked except for bottled water.

And this is 225 miles north of where the storm is currently predicted to make landfall, near Ft Lauderdale, and well inland. Landfall predictions are notoriously poor tho until 12 hours or so before it hits. Right now the models have it doing anything from crossing the state into the gulf to missing the state and running north up the coast to the Carolinas. Just stalling in the Bahamas is a possibility too. It all depends on what a couple of high pressure systems and a weak front coming down, do.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Dr Ryan Maue has an interesting track projection on Dorian.
He's on Twitter. @RyanMaue
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #4

Tomorrow's 11AM forecast will be the best one to trigger a move or not. I live here, have a Class A but am going to hunker down at my S&B with the coach on it's pad beside the S&B. I am staying because I have a home and a few boats to protect if need be. The forecast is looking better for us on the West coast of FL at the 5pm report.
The biggest thing is your risk tolerance. If you do not have a permanent S&B you need to evacuate, per FL guidelines. What evacuate means is unclear. Does that mean you move your coach to a buddies house - dunno. If you're a full timer, the rig is your home and usually all your belongings are in that rig. Can you afford to lose everything and not have anything other than a hotel room to go to? Sure, you have insurance but is it worth that hassle because you're too lazy to hook up and haul butt? That would be my incentive to heading northwest. From Sarasota I can be in GA in 6 hours or less (I usually drive no more than 300 miles) or certainly be in Tallahassee in that time and ready to monitor and head west the next path report. Yes it costs fuel. If you live in a non-moving RV sitting at a RV park/trailer park - you have decisions to make.

Be safe.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

This thread is tied to this one: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/atlan...es-459223.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

I'm in south central Florida and I'm going up to Perry, Fla. Sunday. The forecast through the week is for 15kt breezes and rain. I think somehow I'll survive.

The forecast for my home park is 52kt sustained with higher gusts, plus of course rain.

From Perry I can boogie in whatever direction is needed.

I drove across I-10 from Pensacola to Tallahassee a week after the storm last year. That was truly impressive. Although I'd been through Charley etc going back to Donna, that drive reminded me the way of storms.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I live here, have a Class A but am going to hunker down at my S&B with the coach on it's pad beside the S&B. I am staying because I have a home and a few boats to protect if need be.
Be safe.
Good luck RKins! Fingers crossed the storm turns offshore.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #8

The Saturday morning forecast is very very good for Florida. They now all predict that the storm will stay well off the east coast. The Bahamas will get three days of cat 4 on 5 as the storm slowly moves north. I don't think there will be much interest in taking tour boats there for at least a year. Those islands are in for a very bad time especially since they are all no more than sand spits.

Dorian, in this guess, will be off Jacksonville, as a cat 3, Wednesday. But my 7 day forecast for north Florida does not even show a lot of rain.

Thank God if you are in Florida but pray for the Bahamians. And keep watching the forecasts, this all switched from pounding Florida to missing Florida in 12 hours and it could switch back.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:24 AM   #9

We are going to sit tight here in Winter Springs, just NE of Orlando. The motor home is gassed up, propane and water tanks full and she's plugged into power on the side of the house, but we don't think we'll have to evacuate. Flooding isn't an issue in our neighborhood and between the RV and the home generator - power outage will be manageable for us. But we are also ready at a moments notice if necessary. Safe thoughts for everyone in the path.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #10

We recently purchased a winter place in https://www.tgoresort.com/ a couple of weeks ago. We had the motorhome down there and decided to take the toad and go home to Nashville to get some "stuff". While here in Nashville the hurricane developed and we are unable to go back to retrieve the RV. Additionally, since the hurricane had already developed, I was unable to purchase insurance on the FL place too.

Perfect storm of stuff happening. Nothing to be done about it now. At least the motorhome is fully insured and I was able to get someone to go clean out refer and freezer. It's really stressful just having to watch and wait. Maybe we'll all get lucky.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #11

We left Sebastian yesterday and stopped in Wildwood last night and have reservations in Tifton Sunday to Tuesday. For now it looks like the storm is going to stay offshore, but an hour or two longer on the turn will be a disaster.
We are just going to make a vacation of the trip and head towards Alabama for a few days until the power is back on before heading home again.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #12

My wife and I were camping at John Pennekamp state park in Key Largo from Monday through Friday night - that was the plan anyway. On Thursday we decided to leave Friday, to head home and close up the house before this storm hit. I found out when we were leaving the campground, that they were closing Friday at 1;00 PM anyway. I dropped my boat off in one of my brother's warehouses in Fort Lauderdale, assuming it would be safer there, than sitting outside in my yard.

We got our 3 sets of accordion shutters over the sliding doors all set to close and started taking in some of the stuff around the pool. I was kinda planning on closing everything up and just heading out. As the projected path has changed we've held off on dragging more stuff in and have decided to stay here. Hopefully they've guessed right on what this storm is going to do.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #13

Now the NWS says Dorain is forecast to turn North more than expected by the time it hits FL.
https://www.weather.gov/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #14

I am sure there are a lot of Floridians sitting on pins and needles hoping this monster does turn.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, hurricane