Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
Actually it has been in the books for quite some time. There was a reciprocity list of approximately 18 countries that were exempt from the IDP requirement and Canada was on the list. The reciprocity exemption has been eliminated. The idea is not only to be able to see in English the license holder's name and DOB but to show that at least when the IDP was issued the license was valid, not to raise extra funds. No other country gains from the purchase of an IDP other than the country it was purchased in. US does NOT have the capability to check and see if an out of country license is valid at the time of a crash or traffic stop. For example it takes one week to get results of whether a Canadian license is good or not using INTERPOL.
It would really help if you could provide the reference authority for this statement re the termination of the US federal governments international agreement.

Using "Interpol" for checking provincial drivers lic from Canadian provinces?? Really ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=MaverickBBD;1463313]Having lived in a northern border community for forty plus years I think it is a great idea and should be adopted nationally. Having had to deal with I.C.B.C. and the lack of reciprocity on the part of B.C. and canada to U.S. and Wa. state traffic laws it has become a major problem. Just look at the blue and white licence plates (or blue plate specials as we call them) willfully violate traffic laws due to any enforceable sanction once they cross back across the border.[/QUOT

Having lived on the other side of the Border from you I take exception to that.
We are every bit as accountable to your Laws when visiting your country as you are to ours. It works both ways my friend!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #17

I have a friend who is a deputy and they get a whole range of licenses from South America an Europe than can easily be faked. This is for the protections of accident victims. The $25 cost isn't going to kill anybody and I would be happy to respond if I went to Canada. There is a whole lot of crime and drug running that goes on behind the curtain in Florida and having a certified hard to fake ID can help slow it down. Canada was not singled out. We have to get a handle on this stuff. I am never going to hijack an airliner, but I have to stand in line at the airport and take off my shoes. Just part of what the world has become.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #18

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
It would really help if you could provide the reference authority for this statement re the termination of the US federal governments international agreement.

Using "Interpol" for checking provincial drivers lic from Canadian provinces?? Really ?
The reference authority you ask for is Florida Statute.

322.04 Persons exempt from obtaining driver license.— (1) The following persons are exempt from obtaining a driver license: (a) Any employee of the United States Government, while operating a noncommercial motor vehicle owned by or leased to the United States Government and being operated on official business.
(b) Any person while driving or operating any road machine, farm tractor, or implement of husbandry temporarily operated or moved on a highway.
(c) A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state if the nonresident has in his or her immediate possession:
1. A valid noncommercial driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the United States; or
2. An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.
(d) Any person operating a golf cart, as defined in s. 320.01, which is operated in accordance with the provisions of s. 316.212.

(2) This section does not apply to any person to whom s. 322.031 applies.
(3) Any person working for a firm under contract to the United States Government whose residence is outside this state and whose main point of employment is outside this state may drive a noncommercial vehicle on the public roads of this state for periods up to 60 days while in this state on temporary duty, if the person has a valid driver license from the state of the person’s residence.

In regards to INTERPOL I should have been more specific. INTERPOL also involves Nlets and U.S. DOJ’s Global. Canadian license can be checked via E-Agent with allows access through NCIC to

Alberta
British Columbia
Canada
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Newfoundland
Northwest territories
Nova scotia
Ontario
Prince Edward island
Quebec
Saskatchewan
Yukon

This allows for checking the validity of the license only but the problem is it is not instantaneous and THIS where the IDP comes into play. If your license cannot be verified on scene than you may stand a chance of arrest.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It might surprise some, but we get people from countries other than Canada down here occassionally.

Having said that, based on my commute to work, it might be time to re-test quite a lot of folks regardless of their country of origin.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #20

Justkn:

Thanks for the statute information, it seems complete however it is interesting that a Florida Government spokesperson has made a public statement that in essence says the law in question re the international driving license requirement etc for at least drivers licenses in English, will not be enforced and new legislation will be forthcoming this summer. I guess the fact that more than 3 million Canadian visitors to FL per year might go elsewhere should the law be enforced or kept on the books might have influenced this decision.

However it was the International agreement you referred to as being expired that I requested you share with us and not the state statute, but thanks for that, We would appreciate that reference per your post,

And of course as you indicated, it was not necessary for US law enforcement to go to Interpol to run a check on a license from a Canadian Province or Territory.

It interesting that an International drivers license can be made on any printer or copier and in many countries they are not provided by a government agency, wow to put faith in this document is high risk indeed.

But I can see the requirement for the drivers license to be in english, this makes sense so I expect this to be the thrust of the next piece of legislation if it does not viloate international agreements. This is a good rule and makes sense to me.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Thanks again
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, there was another thread going on this that was closed a short time ago. The FL legislature decided not to enforce the law and is looking into re-writing it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #22

Quote:
It interesting that an International drivers license can be made on any printer or copier and in many countries they are not provided by a government agency, wow to put faith in this document is high risk indeed.
I think it would be harder than that. My permit, issued by the state motoring organisation under an international agreement is a multi-page booklet in several languages with stiff cover with photo and numerous stamps all over it. Sure, you could forge it but why would you go to all that trouble.

The info book we get lists requirements throughout the world - required, not required or recommended - and the USA is listed as recommended.

As others have said already, it is a permit not a license and has no validity unless you can show a valid, current license from back home.

Apart from language - the other reason is to show the vehicle classes that the driver is licensed for in a standard format.

My problem is that it is only valid for a year and costs more than the actual license
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #23

Quote:
It might surprise some, but we get people from countries other than Canada down here occassionally.

Having said that, based on my commute to work, it might be time to re-test quite a lot of folks regardless of their country of origin.
I know off topic, but really have to agree. When I still worked, I always used to wonder why in the winter there would always be traffic issues during my 5 AM commute caused by drivers in autos with license plates from Maine, Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Ontario,etc. Where do snowbirds have to be at 5 AM?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick

I know off topic, but really have to agree. When I still worked, I always used to wonder why in the winter there would always be traffic issues during my 5 AM commute caused by drivers in autos with license plates from Maine, Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Ontario,etc. Where do snowbirds have to be at 5 AM?
I understand......For most of my (Cdn) life I have been fortunate enough to live & work in tourist towns....it is not unusual for the locals to complain (human nature) about the inconveniences created by the tourist....that is until we remember that without the tourist we wouldn't have a job and would have to move!

In Florida the tourist (excluding snowbirds) generates 67billion $$$ for the State economy and Canadians are the #1 foreign visitor ($3 billion annually). It is however Florida's right to establish any rules it deems appropriate. On the other hand, it might be worth remembering that you might "have" to live Florida for your job....but most people who visit Florida don't "have" to visit. If the State makes too many inconvenient or offensive rules there are many other warm States which will, no doubt, be happy to take some of that $67billion(or $3 billion from Cdn if you prefer).... if Florida doesn't want it?

At some point the State has to decide if it is "Open for Business"....or not!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #25

As a second generation native Floridian, I can tell you that we got along very well prior to the snowbird invasion (starting in the late 50's). We didn't have to lock our doors and all knew each other. Divorce was rare, accidents were rare. In my whole High School career, we had zero pregnancies. People got jobs or went to college, Nobody "lived together". We didn't depend on the snowbirds at all (called tin can tourists). The things that snowbird complain about, traffic, left lane huggers, crowds, unfriendlyness, were pretty much unheard of in the presnowbird era. I might also point out that most of our politicians making these unliked laws are not native Floridians. Real Florida has left the building. As my Father used to say, Florida was ruined by the inventions of AC and mosquito repellant.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Snowbirds are responsible for pregnacies in high shool? Wow now I really understand why they are not liked!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #27

for what its worth I like you Canadians. We get lousy drivers from everywhere and so do other places. We have more pressing issues than this. I recently went on a lengthy trip and I called it florida revenge!! Did a u turn on the edge of ny city with a 32 ft mh pulling a 20 ft trailer ; you should have seen the on lookers
Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 6 pm Tampa news (ABC) stated that the legislators have decided to rescind this law because it may violate the Geneva Convention. And it will not be enforced in the interim.

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida