Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #43

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
This was put out last week and sorry for not posting it earlier. Hopefully this will put everyone's mind at ease. Florida Legistlation only meets twice a year so it will not be until July 1st, 2013 before any official changes can be made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DHSMV.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	33816  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #44

Justlkn

Thanks - good post that should put this subject to sleep for a bit. I read a transcript of that article in a newspaper several days ago but this is the first time I saw the complete statement with logo and all. Common sense prevailed again. Go figure.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Frankly, most counties I've traveled to I had to get a license in that country. I don't believe anything accept its a revenue stream for FL. just another tax. You can speculate on the rest.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #46

Well it is not a revenue stream for Florida because NONE of the money it cost to get the permit goes to Florida. The moneys collected is for the cost of verifying the validity of the permit. Remember Florida does NOT issue the permit, it only requires it. And I do not think you got a license, you got a international permit.

Reg
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
It's just another reason to avoid this state. I move to FL 20 years ago. It was friendly then. I'm looking to get out of here soon and find a friendly state again.
It just shows the Florida arrogance to make being a tourist a crime. They are our source of income, so lets harass them. I suggest you Canadians band together and skip Florida this year. They may get the message.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #48

Just watching the news in Jacksonville, Fl. The law that required International Drivers License has been suspended and the Senator who proposed the law has apologized to our Canadian and UK visitors and said he did not think about them when they passed the law.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #49

I think this likely all started when the FL Highway Patrol could not read the Drivers License that was written in French.
The Devil made me say it.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #50

We have a huge problem with illegal aliens and drugs coming into the US via FL borders and using fake driver's licenses from other countries. This was an attempt to reduce that problem. Earlier, I recounted how I was involved in an accident and the other guy had a fake Mexican ID. My friend the Sheriff's Deputy has recounted many stories of fake drivers licenses. This would have mitigated it somewhat or at least made it a little harder. This is a huge problem and this deal was just a small piece of this complex puzzle.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I think this likely all started when the FL Highway Patrol could not read the Drivers License that was written in French.
The Devil made me say it.
Pourquoi avez-vous dit une chose pareille?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Pourquoi avez-vous dit une chose pareille?
Ya all come back and see us now ya here!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Ya all come back and see us now ya here!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #54

Thor Owners Club
For those who may not be aware...an international driving permit is not a licence...its an interpretation document. Thats all it is . Ever see one? They look cheap and can be produced by a 5 year old with a basic computer understanding. If you have a foreign licence and police cant understand it, you will get a ticket for driving without a drivers licence and your car will be towed. Simple as that.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Well if they suspended such a stupid law then great. If we start having some states requiring an international permit and some states don't, it wouldn't be fair for any foreign visitor. Who could ever know each state laws.
Some COUNTRIES require a international permit in that country. You get them when you rent a car in that country.
Typical ignorant government officials. They haven't a clue what they are doing.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #56

Quote:
Who could ever know each state laws.
While I agree the FL law was probably well intentioned, implementation probably should have been better thought out. Although many would like to see state's rights taken completely away, we still have some differences. Laws regarding double towing, carrying firearms, drinking age, fishing regulations, speed limits, right turn on red, whether you are allowed to pump your own gas, whether U turns are legal, are just a few that come to mind. Visitors have an obligation to make sure they know what laws are that may affect them.

I traveled to Singapore one time with a business associate. He made the mistake of chewing gum while there, not realizing that gum chewing was seriously illegal there. He was lucky to get out without jail time. Laws may be silly and confusing, but travelers need to be aware and knowledgeable.

Tags
florida