Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

Florida International Drivers License

Just heard on CTV and read in the Toronto Star that Florida quietly changed the law on January 1st this year and requires that international drivers now require an International Drivers License. This includes Canadians.
The idea is that the licenses are translated into English so the authorities could read them.
They seemed to skip that most Canadian, Ontario licenses are already in English.
Here is the link...
Florida now requires Canadian drivers carry an international driving permit | Toronto Star

Maybe they should be translated into Spanish for Florida.
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
As a native Floridian let me apologize for our ever so thoughtful politicians. But hey, they are politicians! I would not be concerned about going to jail. The issue as to one's insurance might force me into purchasing the required liscense. However, by the time you do purchase this instrument, this law will have been reconstructed.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Community Administrator

There are regulations everywhere that some will not like. I had to leave a lot of things behind when I crossed the Canadian Border. I decided to obey their law and enjoy their Country.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Italy also now requires it.

When I was in Italy I didn't think anybody had a drivers license.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Here's an article that says legislators are working on exempting English - Language Licenses .
http://m.680news.com/2013/02/14/cana...ce-in-florida/. Now can I bring in more than 50 cigars and one bottle of booze.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #6

I do agree that while travelling ignorance of the laws is no excuse.
I do realize that we have to obey the laws in the country we are visiting.

We now require Passports and have got them and would have got an International Drivers Licence if I knew one was required at the same time.

We are learning of this law just now and it has been in place for 6 weeks now.

The news reports say that car rental companies, CAA and other travel agencies that you would normally go to for travel information were not aware of the requirements.

When you cross the US boarder in a car or RV and asked where you destination will be you should not be allowed entry if you do not have the required documentation to operate there.
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris155 View Post
When you cross the US boarder in a car or RV and asked where you destination will be you should not be allowed entry if you do not have the required documentation to operate there.
There is no way that ICE is going to try to figure out if you're going to be legal in some random state, or any states you pass through on the way there.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having lived in a northern border community for forty plus years I think it is a great idea and should be adopted nationally. Having had to deal with I.C.B.C. and the lack of reciprocity on the part of B.C. and canada to U.S. and Wa. state traffic laws it has become a major problem. Just look at the blue and white licence plates (or blue plate specials as we call them) willfully violate traffic laws due to any enforceable sanction once they cross back across the border.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Having lived in a northern border community for forty plus years I think it is a great idea and should be adopted nationally. Having had to deal with I.C.B.C. and the lack of reciprocity on the part of B.C. and canada to U.S. and Wa. state traffic laws it has become a major problem. Just look at the blue and white licence plates (or blue plate specials as we call them) willfully violate traffic laws due to any enforceable sanction once they cross back across the border.
How do you think that requiring an IDP is going to change any of that?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
How do you think that requiring an IDP is going to change any of that?
How about failure to pay traffic fines and/or provide adequate insurance will result in the revocation of driving privileges which in not currently an option with current canadian licences.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
How about failure to pay traffic fines and/or provide adequate insurance will result in the revocation of driving privileges which in not currently an option with current canadian licences.
The IDP is just a translation (into multiple languages) of the original driver's license. It can't be "revoked". Requiring the IDP changes nothing, as long as they actually get one. If they don't, and they don't pay the fines now, I still don't see this changing that.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Actually it has been in the books for quite some time. There was a reciprocity list of approximately 18 countries that were exempt from the IDP requirement and Canada was on the list. The reciprocity exemption has been eliminated. The idea is not only to be able to see in English the license holder's name and DOB but to show that at least when the IDP was issued the license was valid, not to raise extra funds. No other country gains from the purchase of an IDP other than the country it was purchased in. US does NOT have the capability to check and see if an out of country license is valid at the time of a crash or traffic stop. For example it takes one week to get results of whether a Canadian license is good or not using INTERPOL.
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #13

Strange, I see an expiry date on my driver's license. Also a home address.
In Canada, the driver's license is not 'Canadian' per se, but rather, Provincial.
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #14

This is a great idea.
I was just looking for reasons to go to Texas the next winter.

As a side comment I just feel outrageous the rate that some campground do charge. For me it does not make much sense when I can find a decent hotel room at a lower price......in the same area
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida