Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We will be heading down to Pensacola then across the Gulf on I 10 thru to TX, NM and AZ.
Off topic, my apologies...

The best parts of NM and AZ are NOT along I-10 so I encourage you to get off of it as often as possible.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I guess we will be answering this question for ourselves this winter. We leave for our first post-retirement winter trip on New Year's eve. We will be heading down to Pensacola then across the Gulf on I 10 thru to TX, NM and AZ. We've taken late fall/winter trips to FL in the past, seeing the West coast, East coast and central. We've also taken three trips out to the Western US and just seem to like it better. Plus, we are not sure we would like going to just one place/state and staying there for 3 months. I guess we will be better able to decide by about April.

I do love fishing so I realize FL offers more in that respect.
we prefer AZ, leaving for Tucson Dec 30th staying at an RV resort for 2 months. We tried it for a month last year, liked it very much so we booked two months Jan and Feb. Tucson has a lot to offer, great for hiking. Nights are cool and day time temp in mid 70s.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #17

My husband and I have been living in Florida for ten years now. We came from Washington State as we wanted to live in a sunny area.
We were hugely disappointed as the summers here keep us housebound. The heat and humidity are unbearable for us.

What we truly miss is the ability to enjoy being outdoors. I suffer from terrible allergies and the mosquitoes and noseeums are brutal.
So we are going to full-time for a while to find some sunshine AND be able to be outdoors. We will start our journey heading for Arizona. We hear that the Prescott area even has four seasons!

Will keep you posted on how well that works out
Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #18

Arizona because its closer!
Old 12-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm 20 miles North of and 600' lower than Prescott and am sitting here looking at the snow on the ground as I type.

Glenn
Old 12-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #20

The answer to FL or AZ is TX.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 PM   #21

There are many fans of both states...it just depends on what YOU want and what your planned activities will be.

Ourselves, we lived in Missouri, Illinois and Michigan for 52 years....loved the trees, lakes and streams but not the mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers.

When we began full-timing we did a lot in the eastern and southern states. We were comfortable with the elements.

However....once we got into the western states we were hooked. We love the outdoors, hiking, geocaching, Jeepin', mountains and wide open vistas and from then on, we traveled solely in the western states.

Our final stopping spot is in Arizona. We have all of the above and don't have to drive far to do those things. The desert is absolutely beautiful if you really get into it and explore and learn about the tough desert plants with gorgeous flowers, the fun critters and the not-so-fun ones. I think that when folks drive the interstates or park in a big city in desert areas, they are not really seeing the beauty of it.

Oh.....and yes, there are lakes and productive trout streams in Arizona. If it gets too hot in the desert, just move up in elevation. If you want snow and forests, we have that, too. We absolutely love it!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When I asked about trout fishing possibilities in AZ I was told to bring dry flies as there's not much wet happening there.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #23

I think AZ. Haven't you heard, FL is full.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #24

We've wintered in both states. They both have advantages & disadvantages. We liked the temps in AZ., but didn't like that we couldn't open the windows on what looked like a beautiful day because everything would get covered in dust. Fl. below the RT.4 corridor is where the temps are best. You still will have some humidity. Our close to perfect place to spend the winter is San Diego.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #25

I can't break any new ground with my answer. But here goes.

Florida to me is like most any populated place east of the Mississippi. It's very populated, some might say crowded, with ordinary people going about their lives. But with great winter weather.

Arizona for us is very different from what we are used to. It's exotic, it's an adventure. It seems to have a healthier lifestyle overall than Florida, although ultimately that depends on the individual. The weather has been stunning during our winter visits. Phoenix and Tucson are crowded, but you can stay on their fringes, or in smaller places, or in the middle of the middle of nowhere.

Both states have great winter weather. I'd say Florida if you want a conventional lifestyle with all the pros and cons of that. And Arizona if you want it to be more outdoorsy and different from home. The difference creates a self-selection by the visitors, and I think in AZ you will tend to find a more active set of snowbirds.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #26

Arizona has more diversity, scenery and climate, and all within reasonable driving distance. The beach in southern AZ is one of the prettiest in the country. (OK 1 hr south of the border). I have spent time in Fl. Swamps, humidity and gators. No comparison.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #27

My parents spent their winters in Corpus Christi, TX. My wife and I prefer the haunting, fairy tale city of Savannah, GA. 30 minutes to the beach and a lot of great places closeby - we're 2 hours from Jacksonville, FL and Charleston, SC - 4 hours from Myrtle Beach, 5 hours from Disney and if I wanted to go that far, 9 hours to New Orleans.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
AZ and Phoenix in particular if you want to take in an inexpensive NHL game or two.

Tags
arizona, florida