Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
I'm a full timer and have done the LLC a couple times no problem. Call me if you want more info. 864_642_8711 Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
So what happens if you live in Florida, buy an RV in Texas and drive it back to Florida and register it in Florida? Which state do you pay sales tax in?
Some states require that you pay their sales tax at the time of purchase. I was in Indiana recently and was told that I could pay the 7% sales tax or pay $100 to have the RV delivered to Michigan and take possession there to avoid the Indiana tax. I bought a truck in FL and was required to pay 5% sales tax. When I registered it in my home state I had to pay the difference between the two states.

From the Florida dept. of revenue.

Use Tax
Use tax is a part of Florida’s sales and use tax. Use tax applies to taxable goods and services that are
brought into the state untaxed or taxed at a rate less than Florida’s sales tax rate. Discretionary sales
surtax is also due on the first $5,000 of these purchases.
A credit is allowed for taxes paid to another state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory. For
example, if you purchase an RV in a state that has a sales tax rate of 4 percent, you must pay an
additional 2 percent when the RV is brought into Florida. Discretionary sales surtax, if applicable, will
also apply. Florida does not allow a credit for taxes paid to another country.
Generally, RVs brought into Florida within six months from the date of purchase are considered to be
for use in Florida and are taxable. If anyof the following events occur within six months of the
purchase, the RV is considered to be for use in Florida even though it may have been registered or
titled in another state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory:
• The RV is operated “for hire.”
• The RV owner accepts employment in Florida or engages in any trade, business, or occupation
in Florida.
• The RV owner’s children are enrolled in any Florida public school.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #17

If you have owned your vehicles for 6 months or more there is no sales tax collected at all in Florida....
Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on
If you have owned your vehicles for 6 months or more there is no sales tax collected at all in Florida at all....
That's if the vehicle was out of the State of Fl. and registered elsewhere. ( I'm not 100% sure but I believe this to be the case ) The op is referring to establishing a Fl. residence.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe the South Dakota sales tax is 3.5%.

What's missing here is: do you, or will you, continue to own property in New York? Do you still live in New York? Will you continue to live in New York? Will the coach be kept in New York? Some states have become quite aggressive at pursuing "tax evaders" of late. I have no direct knowledge or experience, but New York has a reputation for being aggressive on taxes.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #20

I will continue to own a business and the building my business is in plus my residence in New York. But, I have leased my house to the person I hired to run my company and taken an inactive position in my business. I will be living in my rv on a full time basis. My plans are to live in Florida for 2 months in 2012 and maybe 4 - 5 months in 2013, January - March, November & December.

The difference in price between my trade in and newer rv will be approximately $300,000 so even a 3% tax amounts to $9,000! That is why I am considering a Montana LLC and Florida residency.

Am I missing anything?
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

No, you aren't missing anything. It sounds like an LLC is an appropriate step for your situation.

On the other hand, you could perhaps establish actual residency in Montana and just visit Florida like anybody else.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #22

IF you register an RV in Florida for the very first time their is also a fee for that first time I believe it is now $200.00
Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
I will continue to own a business and the building my business is in plus my residence in New York. But, I have leased my house to the person I hired to run my company and taken an inactive position in my business. I will be living in my rv on a full time basis. My plans are to live in Florida for 2 months in 2012 and maybe 4 - 5 months in 2013, January - March, November & December.

The difference in price between my trade in and newer rv will be approximately $300,000 so even a 3% tax amounts to $9,000! That is why I am considering a Montana LLC and Florida residency.

Am I missing anything?
If you have a Florida residency, how long can you have the vehicle in FL before the state requires registration there? How about in New York? You will probably be OK, but I would make sure I knew exactly what the rules were before I committed. There have been several news stories about states aggressively pursuing rv owners using LLCs to avoid sales and personal property taxes, and assessing big fines. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There have been several news stories about states aggressively pursuing rv owners using LLCs to avoid sales and personal property taxes, and assessing big fines.
So far Florida has NOT been one of those states. With so many "snow birds" and other temporary residents bringing vehicles in/out of the state, they probably wouldn't know where to start, and much of the population would be up in arms if they tried.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #25

I am certainly no CPA, but I believe that the sales tax paid would be deductible on your income tax. Depending on your tax bracket that may make the difference not as much.

Tags
florida