Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
X2.

1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree about Tx. This is our first and last winter in Florida. $1200-2000 a month for a space! Really? In Tx and Az $700 gets u a luxury resort with very friendly folks. We have been here 2 months and the regulars are very cliquey and have made us feel like intruders. Just one persons experience but headed west next week.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #17

This is our first year going south for the winter and so far we are looking for some beach time. There are only so many beading and knitting classes you can go to. The wife is a little bored. As for me I found a gun range and life is better.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #18

Stayed in Florence Az two nights ago in a very nice resort. Under $500 per month. They had a hot dog cook out at the club house. They invited us to it even tho we were just staying one night. The next morning the guys were going on an off road ride out into the desert with their ATv's. They all but insisted I ride with them. Was only there one night and felt like I was one of the group. I think they said you could buy a lot for $25,000 then pay a small monthly fee??

Russell
Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Clay. how could you forget the winter of 75-76, when we had snow falling as far South as Tampa / St Pete? I don't know about you, but THAT freaking winter was a whole lot more chilly than this year (so far!).
Yeah but it came and went! Christmas Eve, Christmas Day 1983 was the killer got to 19 degrees low never got above freezing for three days. Destroyed the fruit trees as far south as Miami. Beg to differ but my point is, this year it does not come and go the freeze stays. Just looked at NOAA 23 Fri, and below freezing again next week. That's my point, it won't go away! I was swimming in the pool last Feb. here in Mexico Beach, panhandle area. Enough!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Texas?

Glad you guys like Texas, lived their once,
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post

Yeah but it came and went! Christmas Eve, Christmas Day 1983 was the killer got to 19 degrees low never got above freezing for three days. :
I remember that... Although I was only 7! All the water fountains were frozen and our hotel's water pipes had frozen (Disney world)...
Old 01-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Florida was and is fantastic IMO

We just returned from Florida. We were there a week. Hit the big show in Tampa for a couple days and the rest of the time went sight seeing and checking out RV resorts.

Thanks to those who gave us tips on ones to check out in Central Florida, Tampa, to Orlando. We did get up as far as Dade City and Travelers Rest Resort. and others going south.

We found everyone very friendly. In all the stores, restaurants, hotels, but also surprised at there was availability yet every place we went.

Here's a funny story, DW and I headed south on Mabry toward MacDill AFB to check in. Lady walking down the street with heavy coat, fur hood on and she was wearing a face covering and gloves.
Us.... were driving down the road, t-shirts, windows open and the AC on. Oh how I wish she could be here with us now and feel what it is like to be "really cold". Thanks Florida!! Our trip was fantastic!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
We just stayed in Tampa over Christmas and had a great time. Did you check out Fort Desoto. Its a nice place, but look out for the trees it can be a little tight.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
When you Florida Snow birds are tired of being kicked around by ungrateful Floridians (people who got there first) come to The Rio Grand Valley and be a Winter Texan. They have parades and parties and welcome signs: say howdy when you arrive; and are sad to see you leave. Screw Florida.
As a resident of Florida, I hate to admit it but the people in Texas are as friendly and accommodating as any I have ever met in visiting 33 states. I can certainly see why Texans are so proud of their state.

However, you could not pay me enough to go near the Texas/Mexico border. Don't flame me, that is just my opinion. Not looking for a discussion on crime and it's location.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #25

Some people prefer a little humidity.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Kro1957; Did you check out the campground @ McDill? The DW and I were down there for the RV Show too and checked out McDill. Didn't care for the main campground, seemed too crowded, too small sites, and had the feeling that it would be very clickish. Drove over and checked out the Annex, and loved it, so there's no shower or laundry there, we have both in the MH. The Annex being an old Trailer Park the sites were HUGH and not set up cookie cutter style like most campgrounds. DW liked the idea of spending the winter on base with the base being like a little town into it's self. Only draw back was having to go to the gate to sign her kids in when they visit (they live there in Tampa).
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for the info on MacDill

D Lindy,

Thanks for that info on the FamCamp at MacDill.
Yes we did check it out also. We would like larger spots but those were not bad. We have stayed at some CG that are much tighter than that.

We walked the area also. It would work for us but as you stated would prefer CG's with little more room. Like the beach area, marina being right there and the restaurant also.

We did see the sign for the annex but did not drive over there. Darn, DW says now, "I told you we should have went over there". Well now we know. Thanks for that tip.

It is a beautiful base and you have the security of knowing you are near everything you need and then some. Prices are right also. Just a bit of a drive to interstate access but not a big deal. Very quiet otherwise.

Perhaps you can tell me, how is it that there is a toll road E-W north of the base but not a toll booth anywhere to be seen? We took it several times but never did see a booth to pay at.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:20 AM   #28

We will be leaving Mass the end of Feb, headed for Clearwater area. We're not snowbirds, we're transplants, MOVING to the area. I called several campgrounds in the area, and they were all filled up, so not sure how "late" folks are arriving in that area.
Ended up in Palm Harbor at Sherwood Forest for the month of March. $900 + elec.
Not sure where we'll go after that, because it will depend on the status of our house in Mass.
And yeah...looking forward to no state income tax and the rest of this new adventure

Jim

Tags
florida