Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #15

I'm sure you are correct. Government hasn't quite gotten the handle on the fact that tourists / travelers are tax paying customers. Going to that kind of system would enhance their revenues from me. I have "toll booth phobia". I don't mind paying, or doing the Pike Pass thing. I just HATE toll booths, and subesquently will drive miles out of my way to avoid turnpikes.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with the first part of Dirk's post. State rights are a founding principle of this country. Right or wrong, states are very sensitive to anything that would hinder total control from "my" state's government.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #17

One last question about the SunPass and the turnpike.

The way my trip breaks down, I will need to sleep 5 or 6 hours on the road. Are there any problems with parking at service plazas for that period of time during the nighttime hours? I was thinking either at the Port St.Lucie MM 144 or West Palm MM 94 service plazas.

PhanTomiZ

P.S. Still waiting for a response from Sunpass.com about my previous questions about the Mini transponder...
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I haven't stayed at either of those two plazas, I have stayed at others with no issues. they are a little noisy due to the high traffic even in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #19

The Florida Sun Pass knows how many axles you have. The first time we used our pass we had one in the tow and one in the MH. We got our bill and noticed that we were billed twice. We were told to just use one in the MH and they know how many axles we have. Sensors in the pavement. They were right.

I like the tolls in the south end because they do have plenty of room to pass right on through. We slow down to almost a crawl in tight places.

Happymi
Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Hi PhanTomiZ,
Either plaza will be fine for your sleep over. They are both busy. Consider stopping at the Ft. Pierce plaza. If there is a spot, take it. If not, you can then move on down the road to the WPB plaza. FYI, at exit 151, there is a CG called Treasure Coast RV Resort. It is a nice place. There is a Cracker Barrel about a mile away. There is also a Pilot and a J for fuel.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Hi PhanTomiZ,
Either plaza will be fine for your sleep over. They are both busy. Consider stopping at the Ft. Pierce plaza. If there is a spot, take it. If not, you can then move on down the road to the WPB plaza. FYI, at exit 151, there is a CG called Treasure Coast RV Resort. It is a nice place. There is a Cracker Barrel about a mile away. There is also a Pilot and a J for fuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We prefer staying at the Flying Js. We feel more secure and I don't mind the noise. My better half has an addiction to the Cracker Barrels (nik naks).

Is this J easily accessible from the turnpike? Google maps shows many truck spots. The Js along I75 are small and dated.

From Google maps Fort Pierce looks to have more parking spots than WPB.

One last question: how about a truck wash along the turnpike that may be somewhat close to any of these locations? Do they get really busy? Don't mind the wait if were staying the night...

Thanks
PhanTomiZ
Old 10-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
When you take exit 151 off the turnpike, after you pay the toll, go straight through the traffic light for about 1 to 1 1/2 miles. The J will be on your right.

I do not know about the truck wash. You may already know this. Truck washes use very harsh chemicals. Good for trucks but bad for RVs. If you use a truck wash, understand what chemicals they use.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
When you take exit 151 off the turnpike, after you pay the toll, go straight through the traffic light for about 1 to 1 1/2 miles. The J will be on your right.

I do not know about the truck wash. You may already know this. Truck washes use very harsh chemicals. Good for trucks but bad for RVs. If you use a truck wash, understand what chemicals they use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Played a little more with google maps and found exactly where the J is. Also, just so happens to have Blue Beacon truck wash next door to them...Perfect...Hey, just looked, that's pretty much in your back yard!!!

I didn't know about the truck wash chemicals. Figured it would have to be extra strong, but I need to get the salt and crap removed from the "Great White North". Only get it washed at a truck wash once or twice a year. Blue Beacon has a different soap they use which is supposed to be a little easier/better for motor coach finishes.

Here's the info and pricing:

Home : RV/Motorcoach Washing : RV/Motorcoach Wash Prices

RV/Motorcoach Wash Prices
Prices Effective September 1, 2008
Motor Homes / Buses
Motor Home - Up to 30' $27.00
Motor Home/Coach - Over 30' $35.00
Motor Home - St Truck Single Axle $34.00
Motor Home - St Truck Double Axle $36.00
Passenger Bus / Tour Bus $35.00

Paint Protectant
WeatherShield™ Paint Protectant $6.00
Rain-X Complete® Protectant $12.00

citrushine™ or Brightener (Only at Customer Request)
citrushine™ Brightener
Aluminum Wheels $1.00 No Charge
Aluminum Tanks $2.00 No Charge

What can you tell me about the truck wash chemicals and where would you suggest as an alternative?

PhanTomiZ
Old 10-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I can not help with an alternative to the truck wash chemicals. Maybe another member can post a suggestion.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #25

Gary,

I just registered my Sunpass Mini. I had to do it over the phone, as the online registration doesn't understand my "country codes". Everything went fairly well except for when I asked about placement of the transponder/mini card. When asked where to install the card on a class A motor home , the operator I was talking to didn't really know what I was talking about. I basically asked her where the "Greyhound" buses mounted theirs. She immediately said to mount it in the middle of the windshield next to the rear view mirror. I told her I have no rear view mirror. Pretty tough question, eh; she put me on hold for 5 minutes. When she got back, she said it would need to be installed on the left/driver's side 2" above the dash. Still, her tone of voice wasn't very convincing.
My question to you is: Where would be the best place to mount a Sunpass transponder/mini card? It would seem to me that the regular transponder and the mini card would have different receivers at toll booths. Wonder if it really makes a big difference?

Thanks in advance
PhanTomiZ
Old 12-07-2008, 02:29 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Hi PhanTomiZ,
Consider following the same philosophy that is recommended for autos. The Sun Pass web site says:

"INSTALLING SUNPASS MINI.
SunPass Mini cannot be hand-held or moved
from car to car. It must be permanently mounted
to the windshield or it won’t work, because the
windshield acts as an antenna."

There is a picture showing the mini mounted just to the right or left of the auto's rear view mirror.

Not knowing if this is important, I would try to keep the mini as close to the center and the same distance from the road as possible. If it were me, I'd mount the mini in the center of the coach, in the lower corner of the driver's side windshield (looking from the inside of the coach).

This puts the mini as close as possible to the same location it would be in an auto. Because the mini uses the winshield as an antenna, my view is the mounting location is not a critical as the portable SunPass.

The other view is to mount the mini in the lower center of the driver's side winshield. This might help balance the windshield as the antenna. I am not an antenna skilled person. I do not have a mini.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #27

Hi PhanTomiZ,
Consider following the same philosophy that is recommended for autos. The Sun Pass web site says:

"INSTALLING SUNPASS MINI.
SunPass Mini cannot be hand-held or moved
from car to car. It must be permanently mounted
to the windshield or it won’t work, because the
windshield acts as an antenna."

There is a picture showing the mini mounted just to the right or left of the auto's rear view mirror.

Not knowing if this is important, I would try to keep the mini as close to the center and the same distance from the road as possible. If it were me, I'd mount the mini in the center of the coach, in the lower corner of the driver's side windshield (looking from the inside of the coach).

This puts the mini as close as possible to the same location it would be in an auto. Because the mini uses the winshield as an antenna, my view is the mounting location is not a critical as the portable SunPass.

The other view is to mount the mini in the lower center of the driver's side winshield. This might help balance the windshield as the antenna. I am not an antenna skilled person. I do not have a mini. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had to read your post twice to understand location. I have a one piece windshield and I believe it should go close to the center as possible and slightly above the dash. This would put it in the same range as an automobile....

Thanks for your input.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed...

PhanTomiZ
Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #28

My Pike Pass unit says "for buses or bus-style motorhomes, mount the unit 3 to 4 inches above the dash near the center of the windshield".

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote