Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #29

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
My Pike Pass unit says "for buses or bus-style motorhomes, mount the unit 3 to 4 inches above the dash near the center of the windshield". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly where it is going. I will wait until I get a little further south. -11C with snow today.

Thanks for the input

PhanTomiZ
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #30

Utilizing the SUN-PASS for many years now I must add my 2 cents.
Make sure you have registered your trailer, boat trailer, towed or anything else you may tow license plates with SUN-PASS.
It can be hit and miss depending on your route traveled (SUN-PASS, E-PASS,etc.). Florida will send a violation notice if what is being towed is not registered with the SUN-PASS. If you do not recieve the notice or do not pay the fine in the alloted time your license will be suspended.
SUN-PASS does NOT recognize automaticly any towed vehicles with your coach. They will treat the trailer as a seperate unit and issue a fine. They do utilize in most cases a lazer beam to seperate vehicles not time seperation.
The method of keeping it all in line is a photo cam located next to the lane or in the fast lanes on top of the highway.
When you go through the toll reciever the coach will be charged and anything towed will be photographed. If the towed vehicle/trailer has its license plate is on file you will not recieve a ticket and the unit will recieve the additional charge. If not it is not automaticly added to the coach transciever, you could recieve a ticket.
SUN-PASS allows for the occasional towed vehicle and asks that if you always tow, like a tractor trailer you purchase a commercial transciever which allows for this billing.
The micro cards do not have batteries and are activated by RF transmitted by the mobile reader. This allows any state or government to track that cards location and information any time and any where.
It can be activated not only by passing near a reader but by a traveling reader equipment while you are located anywhere on the planet.

This is just a little food for thought.

SUN-PASS personel in Boca Raton are easy to work with and will listen if there is an erroneous charge or fine. A positive outcome is possible only if you call asap. There are time limits and once the situation moves into the system it may not easily be removed.

IMPROTANT: Do not forget to update license plate numbers when they renew and or change. Same goes for credit cards when they renew or expire, all dates must be updated on a regular basis.

HAPPY TRAILS
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #31

Where did you get all this info. I towed a boat for years and never listed the license on Sun Pass and never had a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MMouser:
Make sure you have registered your trailer, boat trailer, towed or anything else you may tow license plates with SUN-PASS.
It can be hit and miss depending on your route traveled (SUN-PASS, E-PASS,etc.). Florida will send a violation notice if what is being towed is not registered with the SUN-PASS. If you do not recieve the notice or do not pay the fine in the alloted time your license will be suspended.
SUN-PASS does NOT recognize automaticly any towed vehicles with your coach. They will treat the trailer as a seperate unit and issue a fine. They do utilize in most cases a lazer beam to seperate vehicles not time seperation.
The method of keeping it all in line is a photo cam located next to the lane or in the fast lanes on top of the highway.
When you go through the toll reciever the coach will be charged and anything towed will be photographed. If the towed vehicle/trailer has its license plate is on file you will not recieve a ticket and the unit will recieve the additional charge. If not it is not automaticly added to the coach transciever, you could recieve a ticket.
SUN-PASS allows for the occasional towed vehicle and asks that if you always tow, like a tractor trailer you purchase a commercial transciever which allows for this billing.
The micro cards do not have batteries and are activated by RF transmitted by the mobile reader. This allows any state or government to track that cards location and information any time and any where.
It can be activated not only by passing near a reader but by a traveling reader equipment while you are located anywhere on the planet.

SUN-PASS personel in Boca Raton are easy to work with and will listen if there is an erroneous charge or fine. A positive outcome is possible only if you call asap. There are time limits and once the situation moves into the system it may not easily be removed.

IMPROTANT: Do not forget to update license plate numbers when they renew and or change. Same goes for credit cards when they renew or expire, all dates must be updated on a regular basis.

HAPPY TRAILS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #32

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
Where did you get all this info. I towed a boat for years and never listed the license on Sun Pass and never had a problem.[QUOTE]

Well Eddie, so have I but than again I did have a problem.
I gleaned this information from the Sun-pass people at the main office in Boca Raton and the SP news letter that is sent to me at my Fort Lauderdale home and emailed to me on a regular basis.
Not only do I speak from print information mind you but from personal exspierience. I have had to call the Boca office after recieving tickets for a trailer or vehicle being towed behind my coach that was not on the license list.
They have and will give you a break if it is the first time or a infrequent mistake.
The news letter always mentions the fact that you must renew and keep current the information requested when you registered in the first place. They specificly ask for all license plate numbers that will use your pass if it can be transfered to another vehicle. It is at this time I give in order the cars, trucks, coach, motorcycles and trailers I use. If one of these plates is caught on a photo they check with the information bank before issuing a ticket. It is assumed that the transciever may not be working properly or the batteries are dead and you are than charged because they know your account information and the vehicle is not ticketed.
Sometimes, E-Pass that is located in the Orlando area tickets some or all vehicles improperly. If your licenses are not registered with the SunPass people they cannot vouce for your equipment and stop any problems that may accure. There was a major problem in the Orlando area this past year were thousands of motorist where ticketed for infractions on the E-Pass system even though they where not at fault. Many had thier licenses suspended and points given with no recourse. Please do not tell me this could not happen,tell it to the people of Orange County, Florida.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #33

Hey PhanTOMiz, it is like trying to get away with a free trip on the 407E without a transciever. You can do it but in the long run it will cost alot more than exspected.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #34

Same thing for the "EasyPass" system here in Texas. I forgot to list my motorcycle trailer and got pinged, at several toll booths, on the same trip. Cost me more in phone calls and time to straighten it out that it would have been to have simply paid the fine. - Tony

2004 Itasca Meridian 36G

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MMouser:

HAPPY TRAILS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #35

I have had better luck with Sun Pass. Just recently I did not update my credit card for the automatic replenishment. They sent me a letter but no fine.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
Where did you get all this info. I towed a boat for years and never listed the license on Sun Pass and never had a problem.[QUOTE]

Well Eddie, so have I but than again I did have a problem.
I gleaned this information from the Sun-pass people at the main office in Boca Raton and the SP news letter that is sent to me at my Fort Lauderdale home and emailed to me on a regular basis.
Not only do I speak from print information mind you but from personal exspierience. I have had to call the Boca office after recieving tickets for a trailer or vehicle being towed behind my coach that was not on the license list.
They have and will give you a break if it is the first time or a infrequent mistake.
The news letter always mentions the fact that you must renew and keep current the information requested when you registered in the first place. They specificly ask for all license plate numbers that will use your pass if it can be transfered to another vehicle. It is at this time I give in order the cars, trucks, coach, motorcycles and trailers I use. If one of these plates is caught on a photo they check with the information bank before issuing a ticket. It is assumed that the transciever may not be working properly or the batteries are dead and you are than charged because they know your account information and the vehicle is not ticketed.
Sometimes, E-Pass that is located in the Orlando area tickets some or all vehicles improperly. If your licenses are not registered with the SunPass people they cannot vouce for your equipment and stop any problems that may accure. There was a major problem in the Orlando area this past year were thousands of motorist where ticketed for infractions on the E-Pass system even though they where not at fault. Many had thier licenses suspended and points given with no recourse. Please do not tell me this could not happen,tell it to the people of Orange County, Florida. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #36

Just got back from our yearly trip south.

Sunpass Mini worked out perfectly. No indication that it works, except for a few toll booths have a "Thank You" light that lights up when you pass through. These are the ones that are passed through at 25 mph with inches on both sides of the Moho.

Got to the Welcome center in Florida and walked around and talked to a few truckers. After talking to a few of them I decide that it really doesn't matter where this thing gets stuck to the windshield, other than anywhere there is shading. I decided to stick it to the highest point of the windshield 4" below the tinting.

Checked Sunpass website to see if and how much I was charged. Very organized and displayed proper toll paid. If I remember correctly, it cost me a little less than $30 one way to go the full route from Wildwood to Florida City pulling a boat. Total axles are three. Only registered the Moho and not the boat. Sensors at each toll recognized the boat and I was charged accordingly.

Thanks to all who replied

PhanTomiZ
Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #37

Stayed the night at the WPB service plaza. It was early and had plenty of room. The noise was terrible up until 10:30 pm. After that, it was quieter than the Flying Js (Shower number 1 4 7 is now ready!!!). I was gone early in the morning and the traffic was dead until 8:00 am.

State Trooper was sittling in his car all night just 5 or 6 spaces away. That was a little reassuring.

I purchased fuel at the service plaza too. A little more expensive. Couldn't pay at the pump using my credit card (no zip code), but the attendant was more than happy to hold my card for me while I pumped and paid him afterwards.

Thanks for your input....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
Hi PhanTomiZ,
Either plaza will be fine for your sleep over. They are both busy. Consider stopping at the Ft. Pierce plaza. If there is a spot, take it. If not, you can then move on down the road to the WPB plaza. FYI, at exit 151, there is a CG called Treasure Coast RV Resort. It is a nice place. There is a Cracker Barrel about a mile away. There is also a Pilot and a J for fuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>