Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #1

I'm planning my yearly trip through Florida and I'm interested in getting setup with a Sun Pass. I need to get to the Keys ASAP (as usual). For those who use it with their motor homes I have a few questions:
Have any of you had any problems using it with your moho?
Where do you mount it for best reception?
How much do you need to slow down in order for it to be recognized by the system?
I plan on towing a boat, does it matter if I register SunPass for my extra axle?
If I don't registering my extra axle, is there a way for Sun Pass to catch up to me? How does this work?
What do you think about the new SunPass mini sticker transponder?

Thanks in advance
PhanTomiZ
Phantomiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #2

I'm planning my yearly trip through Florida and I'm interested in getting setup with a Sun Pass. I need to get to the Keys ASAP (as usual). For those who use it with their motor homes I have a few questions:
Have any of you had any problems using it with your moho?
Where do you mount it for best reception?
How much do you need to slow down in order for it to be recognized by the system?
I plan on towing a boat, does it matter if I register SunPass for my extra axle?
If I don't registering my extra axle, is there a way for Sun Pass to catch up to me? How does this work?

Thanks in advance
PhanTomiZ
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #3

I use my sunpass transponder between vehicles including my motor home, so the mini sticker will not work for me.

Many of your questions can be answered by looking over information on http://sunpass.com/
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have used SunPass since it became available. It is used on my coach and both autos. Here are answers to your questions:

Have any of you had any problems using it with your moho? I have used the SunPass with my coach. There have been no problems.

Where do you mount it for best reception? For the coach, SunPass is mounted at the lowest point centered on the windshield. For autos, Sunpass is mounted just under where the rear view mirror connects to the windshield.

How much do you need to slow down in order for it to be recognized by the system? The posted speed limit is 25 MPH through a SunPass collection point. I will slow to less than 25 MPH. The toll collection point lane gets vary narrow when driving a coach. My mirrors don't miss the various obstacles by much.

I plan on towing a boat, does it matter if I register SunPass for my extra axle? There is no need to do anything for your boat trailer. SunPass will automatically recognize you have a trailer and deduct an amount of $s from your account for the extra axle(s). This may double your toll, at some collection points.

If I don't registering my extra axle, is there a way for Sun Pass to catch up to me?
SunPass will bill you for your trailer (or towed anything) as soon as you pass through the collection point.

How does this work?
SunPass measures the time it takes for axles to pass the collection point. If an axle passes the collection point within XXX seconds of the lead vehicle, SunPass says it is a trailer, associated with you, and deducts the $s from your account.

I have never used the sticker. I have the old style transponders.

Editorial note:
Consider depositing a lot of $s in your account (over $75.00). Have an automatic replentishment set at at least $30. The auto replentishment should be paid by your CC. It takes several days to auto replentish an account. One does not want to run out of $s and go through a collection point. The SunPass clerks will spent a lot of time to ensure your account gets billed for the toll and penalty.

Trailers, depending on the number of axles are charged the same or more than your coach. When you are towing anything, the total toll could be double or more than double what a single, 2 axle vehicle pays.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #5

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I have left Sunpass.com a few more questions regarding the Mini transponder and am awaiting their response.

Looks like I will get the Mini. It is free to get (pay $4.99 and get a $4.99 credit on your account). I will only need to use it 4 times a year. If it screws up or dies, it's not a big investment to purchase another...

This is what concerns me regarding the Mini:
-How long will stay stuck to the windshield?
-How do you know if it is working properly? Doesn't have any indicators or speaker. Violations or fines are not something I want to worry about while on vacation...

Later
PhanTomiZ
Old 10-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once your account is set up, you can go online and view your charges.

BTW - In the Miami area they now have many high speed SunPass only lanes where you only have to slow down to 50 mph and there are no concrete barriers.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 AM   #7

What concrete barriers are you talking about? The ones you have to squeeze by watching your mirrors at 20 mph?
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, that is what Chezhead is refering to. The new toll plazas have SunPass lanes set off to the side. Most of the plazas are of the old design, with lots of fixed structures to hit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Here in WA State we have a toll system that utilizes windshield mounted transponders for various toll activities (bridge tolls and express lane usage). One anomaly that I have noted in our system is when a Motorhome with a transponder is towing a vehicle that also has a transponder installed on it. The transponder reader sees the transponder on the Motorhome, and the transponder on the towed vehicle, and the pressure sensors count the total number of axles. Your account is charged for 2 transactions vice one, the Motorhome towing something (extra axles), and vehicle being towed. When this happens have we have to file a erroneous toll charge application to have the second charge voided. Told by our Dept of Transportation no way to defeat this from happening.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
In the NE we have EZ-pass. You can remove the transponder on the toad and place it in the foil bag that it comes in, place in the center console and you won't get whacked twice. Just remember to replace it before driving the toad solo. With our bike rack covering the tags on the rear of the Jeep the photo won't nab you even if the system has one of its' temperamental moments.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM   #11

I don't understand why every state doesn't just enlist the EZ Pass - or any universal system. There are like 10 different systems - and EZ Pass obviously has some mechanism to work in a multi-state environment. I'd happily pay a little more to have a universal transponder. We currently have a Pike Pass (OK) - but it is only good there. I HATE toll booths.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Porscheracer, Hear, Hear, what a great concept, and it makes sense, probably too much sense.

Like you said the EZ Pass probably has the ability to communicate between , the only thing that is needed is for State Governments to verbally and electronically communicate with each other. But I expect that will happen about the same time the various branches of the Federal Government decide to start verbally and electronically communicating with each other.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #13

If somebody - even an independent company - could take over the administration, and come up with a system . . ..

Think of the customer base . . . like every long-haul truck in the country, not to mention thousands of RV'ers and other constant travelers. It would be every bit as popular as the tracking services. Maybe they would have the technology??

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:39 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I don't understand why every state doesn't just enlist the EZ Pass - or any universal system. There are like 10 different systems - </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO, many states want to have absolute control over the operation, and want maximum revenues from THEIR system.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote