Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fluorescent Lighting

I have fluorescent lighting throughout the MH, sometimes it comes on nice and bright and other times they are considerably dimmer, Any thoughts?

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #2

You need to do some trouble shooting. Take a digital VOM and measure voltage when dim and bight at the fixture. I know some lights are temperature sensitive. Below about 55 F some will not light.
-Paul R Haller-

Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
You need to do some trouble shooting. Take a digital VOM and measure voltage when dim and bight at the fixture. I know some lights are temperature sensitive. Below about 55 F some will not light.
-Paul R Haller-
Will try your suggestion. Very frustrating never knowing which lights will light fully and which are going to be dimmer.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
paz

Our fluorescent lights are a little dim when you first turn them on. After 5 minutes or so, they brighten up.

As Paul says, some fluorescents don't work well at low temperatures. If the weather is warm, the voltage is good, and the lights still don't brighten up after a few minutes, you may need to replace the tubes - especially if you use them a lot. Fluorescent lights usually take a long time to burn out, but they will loose efficiency and put out less light over time.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Our fluorescent lights are a little dim when you first turn them on. After 5 minutes or so, they brighten up.

As Paul says, some fluorescents don't work well at low temperatures. If the weather is warm, and the lights don't brighten up after a few minutes, you may need to replace the tubes - especially if you use them a lot. Fluorescent lights usually take a long time to burn out, but they will loose efficiency and put out less light over time.
If they come on dim they stay dim. Temp hasn't been an issue yet her in AK, soon though.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Also check the house batteries' voiltage & the inverter/charger's voltage as well.

JJ
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH3rd View Post
Also check the house batteries' voiltage & the inverter/charger's voltage as well.

JJ
Done that, even replaced all 4 house batteries.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes your converter is charging your batteries or holding them in a full state of charge and the lights are nice and bright.

Sometimes the batteries are running the show, have been for a while, and need a recharge and the lights are ... Dimmer.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Sometimes your converter is charging your batteries or holding them in a full state of charge and the lights are nice and bright.

Sometimes the batteries are running the show, have been for a while, and need a recharge and the lights are ... Dimmer.
Thats possible, I think it happens on shore power as well but not positive. Or are you saying power could be diverted from shore power to charging and therefore starving the lights?

I will check the state of charge the next time it happens.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If all else fails, replace the fluorescent tubes with LEd equivalents. They are not temperature sensitive and good quality LEds have circuitry that assures the same light output (lumens) regardless of voltage. I have replaced all of mine with Led tubes from RVLEDBulbs.com - RV LED Bulbs, RV LED Lights and Light Accessories. They carry the excellent Revolution brand led tubes and also the slightly less expensive Ming brand. I have the Revolutions.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried replacing one of the chandler bulbs with a LED bulb. My wife noticed it immediately and made me put the old incandescent bulb back. She HATES the whiter light they give, even the CFL's in the house she grouses about. But we used to have 200watt bulbs (3 of them) in the kitchen, now we have 3 23 watt CFL bulbs and it's still good lighting. Saves a bunch of elec.
Not sure if I can get away with LED's in the MH until they get them in the right Kelvin range to satisfy her.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If all else fails, replace the fluorescent tubes with LEd equivalents. They are not temperature sensitive and good quality LEds have circuitry that assures the same light output (lumens) regardless of voltage. I have replaced all of mine with Led tubes from RVLEDBulbs.com - RV LED Bulbs, RV LED Lights and Light Accessories. They carry the excellent Revolution brand led tubes and also the slightly less expensive Ming brand. I have the Revolutions.
Great link, I did not know I could get LED replacements for my fluorescent tubes. Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I tried replacing one of the chandler bulbs with a LED bulb. My wife noticed it immediately and made me put the old incandescent bulb back. She HATES the whiter light they give, even the CFL's in the house she grouses about. But we used to have 200watt bulbs (3 of them) in the kitchen, now we have 3 23 watt CFL bulbs and it's still good lighting. Saves a bunch of elec.
Not sure if I can get away with LED's in the MH until they get them in the right Kelvin range to satisfy her.
Wife hasn't seen this coach yet. Picked it up in NV back in June and drove straight back to AK, where I work. She will see it for the first time in October when I drive to OH where I live. Just have to replace before then. GOing out now to count the tubes and get my order in.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
In normal operation, the voltage out of a good 3 stage charger can vary from as high as 14.6 volts, down to 13.2.
This is enough to produce a noticeable brightness change in the lights in my coach.
If you are just running on battery, voltage 12.6 or lower, they will be even dimmer.
all normal.