Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Flying J and LP gas

Never bought LP at flying J before, is it a big hassle????
duflochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
No hassle at all, most are located by the RV island. Just pull up to the tank and there's usually a phone receiver or intercom for calling inside. Tell them you want propane, someone comes out and pumps it, gives you a chit and you go inside and pay.

If you have their RV card they'll give you a 5 cents per gallon discount.

(Since this post is RV related I moved it out of the 'Just Conversation' forum into the iRV2 General. 'Just Conversation' is only for Non-RV related discussions)
Old 07-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
It can depend a little on your rig, and on how much traffic there is at the RV pumps at the time. The LP pump is normally on the curb on the right as you pull into the RV pumps from the street. My LP is on the driver's side, so I have to go through the pumps from the other direction -- and HAVE to get the curb pump for it to work -- and then can pull on to the LP after filling with diesel. And I will in most cases continue to block the RV pump while getting the LP fill. ...none of that a big deal if the curb pump is empty when I arrive. I think if may be possible to pull in from the truck island side at most locations -- I have never tried that, but think it would work.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
It can depend a little on your rig, and on how much traffic there is at the RV pumps at the time. The LP pump is normally on the curb on the right as you pull into the RV pumps from the street. My LP is on the driver's side, so I have to go through the pumps from the other direction -- and HAVE to get the curb pump for it to work -- and then can pull on to the LP after filling with diesel. And I will in most cases continue to block the RV pump while getting the LP fill. ...none of that a big deal if the curb pump is empty when I arrive. I think if may be possible to pull in from the truck island side at most locations -- I have never tried that, but think it would work.
I agree with your assessment with one exception. In several cases, the hose from the propane tank at Flying J locations isn't long enough to reach the truck side. In addition, to get to the propane at FJ locations like the one in South Dallas, you have to "swim upstream" against incoming trucks if your propane fill is on the passenger side like ours.

I had the opposite problem from yours At the FJ in Texarkana, AR, the hose is on the driver's side and we had reverse course into the outer RV fuel lane. If an RV had mistakenly pulled into it, we would have been nose to nose and we would have had to unhook the toad to get out.

For the most part, we have no problems getting propane at FJ.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with "chasfm11" in that it definitely depends on the Flying J. Not all are built the same and in most cases if you have a long rig and/or are pulling a toad, keep going.

Whomever designed the RV service port must have been living in lo-lo land or something. They either have a good approach with a poor exit, or a poor approach with a good exit. Rarely do they have both.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
As long as there is no rv traffic at the station there is no problem but if you travel the interstates during snow bird season go somewhere else for LP. There is no thought from Flying J as to their placement of the LP tank if you want LP you must block the gas or deisel pumps subsequently the lines behind you get longer and longer getting everyone aggravated. Why they don't put the filler tanks on the other side of the lot I'll never know. If you are towing and your tank is on the wrong side they have to hold up traffic in the entire gas station so you can make a u turn.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
All FJ's are different, but the one in Ft. Pierce FL is one to avoid if possible. Long lines, slow service and often empty tanks. Plus the in/out traffic to this FJ is a nightmare

Fortunately we found a couple of local LP companies who fill them pronto and are friendly, appreciating our business

Dick
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Pat View Post
All FJ's are different, but the one in Ft. Pierce FL is one to avoid if possible. Long lines, slow service and often empty tanks. Plus the in/out traffic to this FJ is a nightmare

Fortunately we found a couple of local LP companies who fill them pronto and are friendly, appreciating our business

Dick
That is a great point. We have the opposite problem here. For all of the concerns about access to propane tanks at FJ, most of our local propane dealers are far worse. Gravel drives with tight to impossible turns, having to drive up over curbs to get lined up with the tank filling areas are just a few of the problems. Only one CG that offers propane makes it relatively easy to get to - and they now charge $.50 more per gallon than the dealers.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pull up to the LP pump, either go inside and tell them or pick up the phone (near the pump) and call them or push the button on the call box

Turn off all LP devices in rig (I just kill my 12 volt house system this cuts everything)

Man (or woman) comes out and fills you tank, go inside with form and pay the lady

Drive off, re-connect/start 12 volt/LP systems
Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My experience with the phones is the inordinate amount of time it takes for someone to come out to fill you up. Never had issues with location or length of hose, etc. Guess it probably depends on individual center but generally cheaper and easier than most CG setups IMO.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #11

Well you see, waiting does not bother me as I am Retired & am in no hurry anytime. Unless it is near "Happy Hour". Then watch out. Have signs on my truck, trailer & camper that say, "Go Around Me, I'm Retired."

Reg
Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Propane at the Winchester, VA Flying J is on the total opposite side of the station from the RV island. After filling up fuel, you have to zig zag around the car pumps to get in positon for propane.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 AM   #13

I normally gas up at flying j. Occassionally I use a local rv service to fill my propane tank.
I have never had a problem filling up at a flying j.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We have never filled up with LP at Flying J, but we did use the dump site for the first time this trip. We were fortunate that no one was in line behind us, my DH hates to make people wait. So while we were filling up, our granddaughter washed the "bug guts" off the windshield and I dumped the tanks. It was a great ONE STOP shop. However, I always wondered why they put the LP right there at the pumps. I wouldn't want to make someone behind in line wait until I got LP. I thought it would be better if they were away from the fuel area anyway.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote