Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't see the harm or the damage in the OP's situation. Did he have problems the next time he used his card, saying he had exceeded his credit limit? At first read of his story, I thought the card had been run as a debit card. Debit card transactions often hold more than the real charge, creating problems if used multiple times in a short time.

The way to prevent all these issues: Use cash.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #16

We have not run into that problem yet but I see the rationale, the merchant is protecting himself. We had to use cash on our first major trip to the U.S.as we maxed out the credit card getting the vehicle repaired and had no way to replenish it. It was a bloody nuisance, we were limited to 300 dollars per day in cash withdrawals using the debit card. Many merchants would not accept the Canadian debit card as payment, we have had similar problems with our credit card.
Now we carry a laptop to access online banking.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
When you pre-swipe at a gas station (before you pump), how can it be a "done deal"? The gas station has no idea how much you're actually going to pump. So they put a hold on for the pump limit. Then when you're done, they submit the final charge to the credit card company. The merchant doesn't actually get anything until their bank pays them. They can book the actual amount charged as a receivable, but not the hold amount.

If it's taking a long time for the hold to change to a final charge, it's probably your bank delaying it for their internal reconciliation process. It's not the merchant - they can't claim the receivable until they submit the final charge (again, because a credit hold is not a sale).
Exactly correct!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had the same thing happen,
not only did the charge clear,
BUT the Hold took days to clear.
Caught me short a few times.
$200 - $300 a day for gas and the holds
burned up a credit line Fast.

Keith
Keitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #19

Not uncommon to preauthorize an estimated amount. It's regular practice for restaurants to authorized plus 20% (estimated tip) to your tab to see if you have enough to clear. They know if it will clear before they bring it back.

It all squares up when they run the final total. With the speed of information today, you can see where before it all washed out before you got the paper bill.

I've seen some truck stops pre-authorize $400. They want to make sure there is enough room on the card before they can't get it back.

On the last trip to Utah I forgot to call the CC company, one let me have one transaction the previous day and canceled, the second canceled right there. So there I am with two broken cards looking like an idiot had to go back outside and wait on hold to get them turned on. Now I carry enough fuel cash to at least get me two days closer to home.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #20

Credit union.

Boom!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
$150.00 is the limit at the pump per swipe of the card; some places it's $75, others $100. The pump puts the charge through, to check your limit for the full amount, BUT the reversal to the actual amount pumped should have come through in seconds after the pump was stopped.
RE-check your C/C charges and if the $150 is still there call your company , and as others said have your receipt, Always Keep your reciepts.

From what I've heard about the subject this is what happens. When your card authorizes it pre-authorizes at the max limit of the purchase at the pump allowed amount. Depending on who processes the CC for the retailer it can quickly change to an actual charge with the correct amount or it can take a day or two. I've noticed it multiple times when I've checked pending transactions and it's always ended up correcting it's self.

I'm never near my max credit limit so I don't know if a pending authorization counts against your available credit or not. I would hope it wouldn't.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Strange, the gas stations I use in this area and some of the merchants have a $1 hold until final processing. I don't see where that has anything to do with the amount on the credit card or any other information. It is just a pending authorization. it goes away, regardless of the hold amount after a few days.

I'm not into financial crapola but if that amount is kept in reserve for two days and the merchant can use that amount on their financial statements, it is a fast way of getting rich. It's like asking you to sign the cc receipt. Why! It's a done deal once the card is swiped. Those that put a hold on it most likely do batch processing at the end of the business cycle to keep their costs down.

Who knows for sure!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
When you pre-swipe at a gas station (before you pump), how can it be a "done deal"? The gas station has no idea how much you're actually going to pump. So they put a hold on for the pump limit. Then when you're done, they submit the final charge to the credit card company. The merchant doesn't actually get anything until their bank pays them. They can book the actual amount charged as a receivable, but not the hold amount.

If it's taking a long time for the hold to change to a final charge, it's probably your bank delaying it for their internal reconciliation process. It's not the merchant - they can't claim the receivable until they submit the final charge (again, because a credit hold is not a sale).
And if you look at my post you will see that I separated gas stations and merchants by paragraphs. Now tell me, how many times at a gas station have you had them come running out to sign a receipt?

Truck stops usually have kiosks inside that one has to go into to "pre-pay" and those are the ones that do the hold - for whatever amount they decide.

As for "done deals" the vast majority of Merchants that process your cc don't need you to sign the receipt. That signature is only for their protection should you come back with a gripe about the receipt. The receipt does not go to the CC company.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited: Oops! Sorry - off topic - the OP is asking about FJ and I generalized it into gas stations. I'm outahere. Sorry.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #23

It has always amazed me how a charge can go on a credit card immediately (be it a hold or purchase) yet getting the hold released or when returning an item it takes a few days. It just doesn't add up...
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #24

OP here this early in the morning! You guys were correct, I checked the card when I got up and the $150 hold was gone and the $35 charge was in place.

I had not run into this before and was a little upset that they did this. Still don't like it and it still seems not right. Guess I just got my knickers in a knot.

Thanks

Wayne
redeldo
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #25

I use Flying J regularly, for gas and diesel, as recently as last week and have not had a hold show up on my credit card. Is it because I have a Flying J/Pilot Frequent Fueler Advantage Card (RV) or the credit card (Pentagon Fed Credit Union) I use?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #26

I'm pretty convinced this is just a way for someone to have access to YOUR money for a few days. If you do this with a debit card (other than my credit union) I suspect it could cause you to bounce checks. Once while traveling a Pilot pre-authorized my debit card put a $400 hold for my fillup (which came to around $250). It wasn't a problem, but if someone runs their account on the light side this could be a big problem. As others have stated, once the actual charge comes through, the hold falls away.

I actually had this happen at a restaurant recently. We took a party of 8 to dinner at Claudia Sander's dinner house and I picked up the tab for $125. They put a $250 hold on my account (on Friday). On Monday morning, the $125 charge cleared, but I still had the $250 hold on my account for 4 more days. I was told by my credit union that this was something the restaurant did, and not the CU. The charge did fall away, but not for 4 more days. So, for 4 days, that dinner cost me $375!
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm never near my max credit limit so I don't know if a pending authorization counts against your available credit or not. I would hope it wouldn't.
It most certainly does. If you are running close to the credit limit on the credit card or close to the available funds on a debit card further use of the card could be denied until the hold is cleared, or over limit charges could apply.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
The solution to this would be for the gas stations to do what airports do with self serve pumps... allow the operator to key in a "fill up" (pump limit), or a gallon or dollar amount on how much you think you will need. Then the pump only pre-auths that amount, and pump will not go over the amount, and you know exactly how much the hold is going to be.

Seems like it would be a simple software solution for the pumps...