Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #1

Flying J charges ethical/legal or not?

Running low on fuel in my pickup yesterday so I stopped at a Flying J exit 320 on I-75 in Georgia. The price was right at $3.43/gallon so I used my credit card, operated the pump and proceeded to gas up. Got the receipt, it showed $35.00 and off I went.

Checked my credit card balance this morning and it showed: PILOT $150.00 PENDING. What the heck is going on? I rarely ever stop at Flying J or Pilot, and if this is the way they do business I WILL NEVER AGAIN STOP AT FLYING J!!!!!

Is this ethical and why are they doing this? If they think I don't have sufficient limits to cover $35.00 then why would they charge the card 3 times that much?

Has anyone had this done before and how did you get it corrected?

Redeldo
01 Dynasty
01 Dakota

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Did you pump just 10.2 gallons?
Once the charge goes off "pending" and your card showes the charge for the fuel you will have to call your card company and dispute the charge, they might want to see your slip from the pump.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm surprised. Most times you will only see $1 pending. It is a place holder while the card is processed. Not all business point of sales are immediate - I don't know why, and someone else can answer that. However, I'd call my CC company and complain.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

I suspect this is just how your bank displays the hold. Every gas station does this now -- they place a 'hold' for the max they allow you to pump (typically there are notices on the pumps everywhere I've seen).

The purpose of the hold is to make sure you don't pump $150 of fuel when you only have $17 credit left on your limit.

Steve
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #5

$150.00 is the limit at the pump per swipe of the card; some places it's $75, others $100. The pump puts the charge through, to check your limit for the full amount, BUT the reversal to the actual amount pumped should have come through in seconds after the pump was stopped.
RE-check your C/C charges and if the $150 is still there call your company , and as others said have your receipt, Always Keep your reciepts.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many stations have signs that tell you there will be a certain amount obligated when you swipe your card, many more do not let you know. Gas stations are not the only place that use this procedure.

Now a days you use a credit card at your own risk and now you can also start guessing which merchants are going to charge you the extra % for the pleasure of using your card.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

Just relax for a day or two and all will be well. Happens all the time. Once it goes off of "pending" you will be charged the correct amount.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The thieves just make our life a little tougher, even for the little things. Arby is correct based upon my experience.

Nick
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Chevron shows $125 for any purchase for a few days on my acct. I don't think any of the other stations I use do this. First time I saw this I was concerned and called the station. I still don't understand why Chevron does this, tho.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
It's not a charge, it's a hold. They don't actually ever get that amount.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I suspect this is just how your bank displays the hold. Every gas station does this now -- they place a 'hold' for the max they allow you to pump (typically there are notices on the pumps everywhere I've seen).

The purpose of the hold is to make sure you don't pump $150 of fuel when you only have $17 credit left on your limit.

Steve
^^ This. They haven't charged you the $150; they just put a hold on your card. The hold will usually drop off in 2-3 days. Yes, it's legal and yes, it's ethical. Most businesses do this now.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Strange, the gas stations I use in this area and some of the merchants have a $1 hold until final processing. I don't see where that has anything to do with the amount on the credit card or any other information. It is just a pending authorization. it goes away, regardless of the hold amount after a few days.

I'm not into financial crapola but if that amount is kept in reserve for two days and the merchant can use that amount on their financial statements, it is a fast way of getting rich. It's like asking you to sign the cc receipt. Why! It's a done deal once the card is swiped. Those that put a hold on it most likely do batch processing at the end of the business cycle to keep their costs down.

Who knows for sure!!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
When you pre-swipe at a gas station (before you pump), how can it be a "done deal"? The gas station has no idea how much you're actually going to pump. So they put a hold on for the pump limit. Then when you're done, they submit the final charge to the credit card company. The merchant doesn't actually get anything until their bank pays them. They can book the actual amount charged as a receivable, but not the hold amount.

If it's taking a long time for the hold to change to a final charge, it's probably your bank delaying it for their internal reconciliation process. It's not the merchant - they can't claim the receivable until they submit the final charge (again, because a credit hold is not a sale).
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
BTW, you can't dispute a "pending" charge, since it's not a charge.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote