Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 AM   #29
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
AH - so you're saying that now that FJ/Pilot is CHARGING to dump - they'll undoubtedly be REDUCING the price of other goods and services, because of the money they will save....

Wow! You read a lot into that!

It's the latest fad, charging for each and every individual service.

FJ will probably spend more on the card reader than they will make in fees.

It still has not been determined if it's company wide or a manager's option.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
This is just my personal opinion, so take it FWIW.

There is a social under-toe in America these days where the folks who expect something for nothing are becoming more vocal. I don't believe the numbers of folks are rising, it's just that the recent climate has given their voice more weight. It would be more of a problem were it not for the fact that the pendulum has begun to swing back toward center, as it always does.

Personally, I try to manage my tanks in such a way that I make use of the facilities at campgrounds, where the cost of providing such services is figured into the cost of the campsite. But there are probably always going to be times when I have a need for these services elsewhere. When given the option of paying a reasonable fee or seeing the services go away, I will gladly choose the fee.
I couldn't have stated the facts any better! I'm blessed to be able to enjoy this RV lifestyle -- hell, when I see the Sun each morning I know it's going to be a great day. What is $5 to dump our 'stuff' and get on down the road to another adventure!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Come on people you know why they have to start charging for what use to be free.Change!?brings price increase when you know what is running the country,wake up!!!!!!!!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #32

Here's the response from Flying J:

"George,

Thank you for your business over the years and for contacting us in regards
to the new RV dump fee. We have been struggling with this matter for some
time now. We understand and appreciate your concerns. Adding any fee in
today’s challenging environment is difficult. The challenges we face is
that there is an increasing cost for this service. The fee charged is only
a portion of the actual cost. As you know, these costs must be covered to
remain competitive in business.

Again, we appreciate your business and hope you understand the need to add
a cost to this service.

Sincerely,

Flying J"
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #33

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
I'm blessed to be able to enjoy this RV lifestyle -- hell, when I see the Sun each morning I know it's going to be a great day. What is $5 to dump our 'stuff' and get on down the road to another adventure!
In other words, don't sweat the small stuff...and a $5 fee for dumping my tanks definitely qualifies as SMALL STUFF! But, if I can't find a place anywhere at all to dump and my RV really "needs to go", That's another matter altogether.

Enjoy the time you get to spend in your RV for the blessing it is.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Totally lost in all the above, is the FACT that Flying J was quite recently bought out and taken over by Pilot -
Not accurate: Flying-J and Pilot have an agreement but the Government has yet to decide if the merjer/buy out will be allowed to proceed.

So they have not yet been bought.. The deal is still open to government action

At least that was the word last week and I've not seen an update

I do point out.. If there have been "hard stuff down the pipe" issues, 5 bucks might deter the vandals.. and it is still a reasonable fee.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
I have fueled at both Flying Js and Pilots for more years then I can remember. I'm usually always rewarded with good products& service at a fair price. There are a few I'll avoid and a few I prefer.

With the recent planned acquisition of FJ by Pilot I expect some changes and I will adjust accordingly.

$5.00 to dump my tanks is not worth complaining about or threatening to take my business elsewhere.

If the Flying Pilot can't stay in the black someone else will likely step in with more charges.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #36

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I hate add on fees, BUT, here where I live the Flying J is 5 miles away and my residential sewer rate just increased $8/ month with additional increases planned each year for the next 3 years. So I'm not surprised that a business has to do something to offset these costs.
I checked out two J's yesterday the one nearest me in Ripon Ca has yet to add the pay system whereas the J in LodiCa has installed the Token/Cardreader for payment. I also checked both places to confirm they have Potable water for use and non-potable water for flushing tanks.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It cost Flying J to operate and maintain a dump station. No reason they should not expect to be paid to use the service.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It cost Flying J to operate and maintain a dump station. No reason they should not expect to be paid to use the service.

Ken
While I sympathize with those who frequently MUST use places like FJ - it really makes no difference to us, one way or the other. We use parks or CG's that provide dumping as part of their use, are NOT Walmart or other no-service freebee overnighting RVers - so not much effect on our RVing.

FJ lost our business when they, in effect, wiped out the price savings on fuel purchases by regular customers - we now buy our fuel at Pacific Pride - far more available than FJ, and save from 25 to 50 cents a gallon on fuel - and don't need a dump station anyway...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
While I sympathize with those who frequently MUST use places like FJ - it really makes no difference to us, one way or the other. We use parks or CG's that provide dumping as part of their use, are NOT Walmart or other no-service freebee overnighting RVers - so not much effect on our RVing.

FJ lost our business when they, in effect, wiped out the price savings on fuel purchases by regular customers - we now buy our fuel at Pacific Pride - far more available than FJ, and save from 25 to 50 cents a gallon on fuel - and don't need a dump station anyway...

Gary, how would one get hooked up to use Pacific Pride fueling stations? I thought they were for use by truck fleets rather than use by the public.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #40

Quote:
AH - so you're saying that now that FJ/Pilot is CHARGING to dump - they'll undoubtedly be REDUCING the price of other goods and services, because of the money they will save....

No, I believe he was saying that the cost of "things" continues to go up and this may have been a necessary step to maintain the business profitability.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Ok. As long as I can park my rig in your lot, come into your house to get my lottery ticket, souvenir painting on velvet, browse thru your trucker's items aisle & pick up my big bag of Cheetos, supersize drink & can of Skoal.

Lori-
Not to mention that this $5 is for dump and fill capabilities. Will we be dumping that waste in your yard as well as filling our 100+ gallon water tanks with your water? What does your water cost you? I have a 160 gallon tank.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #42

Have any of you asked what Flying J charges for their showers? I don't remember what it was (Pecos TX last November... visions of a lengthy very hot shower rapidly disappeared with the mention of the price) but I decided to use the one in our RV and then dumped (for free) the next morning. It was far more than $5. Many campgrounds charge $5 and up for non-customers to dump. I think it's reasonable. Besides, I like the buffet and it was a good place to park overnight. It worked for us.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote